Repair Diagnosis/Top-End Rebuild?

More
17 Jan 2009 15:44 #258442 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Repair Diagnosis/Top-End Rebuild?
onanysunday wrote:

...never checked valve clearance in the 6xxx miles I've put on the bike....

Screw MaKaw and the manual she rode in on! :woohoo: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2009 19:21 #258482 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Repair Diagnosis/Top-End Rebuild?

One question on these carbs..Is it normal to have a sound like birds "twittering" in synchrony lightly emanating from newly synced carbs? This new noise has coincided with getting them synced-the noise wasn't there before..I think it may be the sound each carb makes as it gulps air? Doesn't sound terrible but it does sound like light repetitive twittering (and can only be heard at idle) The noise goes away as soon as I give it a little gas.

At least one, and probably more, of the carb holders (manifolds) has a vacuum leak. :)

KD9JUR

More
17 Jan 2009 20:06 #258488 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Repair Diagnosis/Top-End Rebuild?
Check the rubber plugs on the intake manifolds as they will age and crack possibly causing the twitter you hear. Z1 enterprises has new ones. If this is not it check the manifold screws for tightness around the carbs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
17 Jan 2009 20:10 #258491 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Repair Diagnosis/Top-End Rebuild?
steell wrote:

One question on these carbs..Is it normal to have a sound like birds "twittering" in synchrony lightly emanating from newly synced carbs? This new noise has coincided with getting them synced-the noise wasn't there before..I think it may be the sound each carb makes as it gulps air? Doesn't sound terrible but it does sound like light repetitive twittering (and can only be heard at idle) The noise goes away as soon as I give it a little gas.

At least one, and probably more, of the carb holders (manifolds) has a vacuum leak. :)

you might want to square this away quick as an air leak in that area can result in piston meltage due to a lean condition..