Base gasket

More
05 Oct 2008 14:17 - 05 Oct 2008 14:18 #240269 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Base gasket
kzr750r1 wrote:

I hear ya thus skeptical of the method. It's interesting how many options there are out there to tune these motors.

I made the base gasket for my 750 last rebuild after the Athena base gasket fell apart. I used the .032" vulcanized fiber material they sell at Pep Boys (rubberized paper). Under head torque, it will be thinner than the .032" starting thickness. That gasket material worked perfectly.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Oct 2008 14:18 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2008 16:11 #240286 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Base gasket
kzr750r1 wrote:

I hear ya thus skeptical of the method. It's interesting how many options there are out there to tune these motors.

The only way I see this working is if both sides are completely square. To do this both block and cylinder would have to be "worked" on a flat surface...

Mentioning taking 20 or 30 thousandths off the head to decrease squish and increase compression it met with a wince from Derek.

its gonna be really hard to seal ,id sugest popping out the sleeves and decking the bottem of cylinder and reinstalling the sleeves to bring the pistons up a little higher as long as the top of cylinder is flat.cylinders are pretty easy to come by but once you start decking a head toraise compression youre stuck with it.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.