Supercharger Info - Drouin Roots Type

• jus1975
  • User
  • www.tripleaperformance.com
More
28 Jul 2008 10:13 #228713 by jus1975
Replied by jus1975 on topic Supercharger Info - Drouin Roots Type
Hey Zippy, How about some updates. Have you finished your restoration. I have since learned alot more from a few books and discussing the matter of forced induction and fuel injection. I have decided to go with a m45 or m90 supercharger. I would just like to talk to a pro that done it. So let talk and look at that monster you got.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jus1975
  • User
More
30 Jul 2008 23:46 #229296 by jus1975
Come on guys, where just getting started on this.

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
31 Jul 2008 04:46 #229308 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Supercharger Info - Drouin Roots Type
Interesting thread. I have an Eaton blower on my 1971 MGBGT - supplied as a kit from Moss motors. Easy installation, but tricky to get it to run properly - it is VERY picky about correct ignition timing and advance! Max boost is 5lb, but it ups the HP by 50% and torque by 100% - a huge difference.

It does have a vacuum operated device that bypasses the blower at idle/low throttle. This helps the idle issue, as well as fuel consuption at steady throttle, but it does add bulk to the intake manifold and may not be practical on a bike. I "think" the blower is the M90 model!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

More
31 Jul 2008 11:48 - 31 Jul 2008 11:51 #229386 by zippy
Replied by zippy on topic Supercharger Info - Drouin Roots Type
jus1975 wrote:

Hey Zippy, How about some updates. Have you finished your restoration.

Sorry to take so long to reply. I don't check this site that often.

Anyway - my project is just about done. I have been toot tooting around around the area for the last month shaking out any little bugs before I paint the final body parts. About the only thing left to do is polish everything up again, shoot some paint and then take some final pictures. I probably won't get to the polishing this week as it is about 90 - 95 deg. this week and that's a little hot for me to be workin on the bike outside.

It's been quite the adventure trying to remember how to set every thing up as most of the stuff on the bike is about 25 - 30 years old and I'm that much older too :-( No problems setting up the Hahn BHP ignition (an incredibly elegant ignition with vacume retard)but I did have to bone up again on the Hilborn constant flow mechanical injection system. A few calls to Hilborn and Kinsler and some head scratching and some trial and error solved most of the problems. I've added some extra circuitry to the fuel delivery system (Kinsler hi and low speed bypass valves), a new Kinsler rotary jet selector that allows me to adjust main jet fuel mixture on the fly with a twist of the selector and a fuel pressure gauge. Had to figure out how to route everything as well as how to stuff everything under the seat in an unabtrusive way. Also did some relocation of the battery so that it now bolts under the bottom of the seat. I'll have to see a little more how it works, but so far it seems OK although it was kindof a pain when I was adjusting the fuel system.The only thing I still might do is redo the instrument panel and try to update it a bit. Don't know if I can go to a digital display with all mechanical tach, speedo output.

As far as running goes - as you might expect - it runs like a freakin bat outa hell. Waaaaaaay too much power for the present rear end (Macintosh adjustable 10 inch extended swing arm with WM6 rim), but I figure it will keep me outa trouble that way :-) Right now - the bike comfortably idles at around 1000rpm without too much problem but I had to really play around with it to balance all the different fuel circuits. As I still have the cut off drag pipes on it - it sounds ungodly beastly even with the individual baffles installed.

As soon as I do the final polish and shoot the final paint - it goes on ebay for a reserve of $ 10K so start saving those pennies :-)

I'll try and get some recent pictures this week for you guys.

Zippy
Last edit: 31 Jul 2008 11:51 by zippy.

• jus1975
  • User
More
31 Jul 2008 21:28 #229487 by jus1975
Takes some pics, finished or unfinished. And I would like to hear it. Maybe some videos. Come on, your my inspiration.

• kelarc
  • User
  • 1977 KZ1000A Drouin Supercharged
More
03 Aug 2008 08:51 #229847 by kelarc
Replied by kelarc on topic Supercharger Info - Drouin Roots Type
Hi, just signed up to this site and seen the threads on Drouin,s unit. Got mine between 1978- 1981.I still have the bike it,s bolted into also. Restored it 2 years ago. Also have Nos on it. Too much fun.I,am the original owner.Put it together out of the box.I love it,but it needs a new home.Will post pictures soon. Just dynoed it yesterday.100hp @9500rpm.Still can put on other pulleys and turn on Nos.Parts include welded crank,stainless valves,bronze guides,titanium retainers,KZ650 shin under buckets,Web blower cams,billet cam idlers and tensioner,MTC 8:0.1 blower pistons,crank girdle,5 litre oil pan,Wolf ceramic coated header,dyna electronic ign.and coils.Lots of chrome And 24kt.gold plating.Frame has been braced and powder coated.I you or anybody out there knows anyone interested,I'd love to hear.Thanks Kel

• supercharged
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2008 14:48 #229905 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic Supercharger Info - Drouin Roots Type
Lets see pics - and email me... I may be interested in the bike.

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

More
03 Aug 2008 18:05 - 03 Aug 2008 19:54 #229942 by zippy
OK Jus - Here are some pics for ya :-)- I shot these yesterday (Sat.) - would have been riding this weekend but I picked up a tack in my front tire so need to get it fixed this week. As I mentioned in my previous post it still needs some final prep work before final pictures.
I also forgot in my previous post that I had pulled off the Kinsler high and low speed bypass fuel circuits for now. I'll probably put them on later if needed. So far so good though.

Body parts need painting

Final polishing of aluminum parts (i.e dyno, blower, cam covers, etc.)

Reroute main fuel jet return bypass hose (the one sticking out on the right side

Small touch up paint on engine cases, frame, etc.

Replace or polish some hardware

Install chain gaurd

Clean up and hide wiring

Finish licence plate bracket

Shorten rear brake hose

Rethink instrument panel

Maybe relocate battery so that I can use velocity stack on injector - no big deal though - I've also got air cleaner for either setup

Other than that - it's pretty much ready to go (unless I left something out :-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Aug 2008 19:54 by zippy.

More
03 Aug 2008 18:09 #229943 by zippy
Here is another
Attachments:

More
03 Aug 2008 18:10 #229944 by zippy
And another
Attachments:

More
03 Aug 2008 18:11 - 03 Aug 2008 18:12 #229945 by zippy
And another
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Aug 2008 18:12 by zippy.

More
03 Aug 2008 18:13 #229946 by zippy
And another
Attachments: