Bike won't start after rebuild

More
14 Jul 2008 15:42 #226135 by nebx
Bike won't start after rebuild was created by nebx
Hi all,

I just finished rebuilding my '79 KZ650, new rings, used head assembly, and gaskets but now I can't get it to start. The engine timing seems to be 180 degrees out of rotation, and I'm getting a backblow through the carbs (backfire, but no explosion). I followed the Clymer manual closely while doing the rebuild. I made sure that the 1 and 4 cylinders were at TCD, installed the cams making sure the "T" marks were pointing to the top surfaces of the cylinder head, and counted the chain pins per the manual. At this point i'm just looking for some advice on what I can do to get it running. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2008 15:47 #226136 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic Bike won't start after rebuild
Is your advancer 180 out by any chance?

1980 KZ500 B2

More
14 Jul 2008 16:03 #226141 by nebx
Replied by nebx on topic Bike won't start after rebuild
It might be, I took it off prior to the rebuild. I thought that after I reinstalled it the bike would run bad until I adjusted the ignition. How would I go about finding that out?

More
14 Jul 2008 16:09 #226143 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic Bike won't start after rebuild
Flip it 180.
I personally detest clymer manuals, get a real one, it's worth it:)

1980 KZ500 B2

More
14 Jul 2008 16:13 #226144 by nebx
It looks like it can only go on one way, with the wire being at 7 o'clock and the hole in the case matching it. I'll have to take another look at it I guess.

More
14 Jul 2008 16:36 - 14 Jul 2008 16:37 #226146 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Bike won't start after rebuild
nebx wrote:

It looks like it can only go on one way, with the wire being at 7 o'clock and the hole in the case matching it. I'll have to take another look at it I guess.

I think you can get it 180 out if the coil wires to the points are reversed or if the cam on the crankshaft is reversed.. I believe one set of points fires the 1-4 and the other fires the 2-3 cylinders?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 14 Jul 2008 16:37 by bountyhunter.

More
14 Jul 2008 16:37 #226148 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic Bike won't start after rebuild
Make sure your valves are adjusted if you haven't already. Some 25 years ago after I had my KZ400 head rebuilt, the damn thing refused to start. Dad said, "Did you adjust the valves?" Duh. Fired right up after that.

Based on your description, it's likely not the valves, but worth a check if everything else seems correct.

Good luck.

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

More
15 Jul 2008 06:37 #226250 by shighley
Replied by shighley on topic Bike won't start after rebuild
nebx; You might verify ignition timing by bringing #1 up to TDC on the compression stroke with the ignition on and the spark plug held against the engine. Remove the other plugs before doing this. I'm guessing you'll find that the plug fires on the exhaust stroke. If so, remove the cam sleeve from the advancer unit and index 180 degrees and your home free. You'll know it's on the compression stroke because the camshaft followers will rotate and the cam lobes will point away from the head. It's also worth measuring compression on all cylinders. My .02 worth. Ride safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

More
15 Jul 2008 07:17 #226262 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Bike won't start after rebuild
The only way your advancer could be out 180,is if you took it apart,because yes,they DO only go on one way as a unit.
If you took it apart to clean it,you might have put the lobed section of it back on 180 out.

This doesn't mean that someone ELSE before you,didn't take it apart though.(never assume).

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
15 Jul 2008 07:58 - 15 Jul 2008 11:31 #226269 by nebx
I didn't take it apart though, all I did was pull the contact breaker plate (leaving the pigtail attached) put it in a bag and stored it under the seat until it was time to put the engine back in. I never messed with the timing advancer. And, the timing was fine prior to the rebuild.

EDIT::

I'll have to get the shop manual. Also, since I didn't actually remove the advancer would you guys still suggest rotating it?

No I haven't adjusted the valves yet. I'll read up on how to do it.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2008 11:31 by nebx.

More
16 Jul 2008 03:04 #226436 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic Bike won't start after rebuild
Quick idea for what I have done before: swap the coil power wires. Spent a while on that one. I remember saying "the wires automatically lay this way, so it must be right...."

I can testify that it doesn't hurt anything but pride.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

More
16 Jul 2008 03:44 #226438 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bike won't start after rebuild
If not already done, would assure the plug wires are routed so that one coil fires both outside plugs, and the other coil fires both inside plugs.

Looking under the points cover, the lefthand points or module signals whichever coil is firing both outside plugs, and the righthand points or module signals the other coil firing both inside plugs.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD