Teflon Wrist Pin Buttons

More
05 Aug 2018 22:45 #788297 by Big Jay
Replied by Big Jay on topic Teflon Wrist Pin Buttons
MTC still sells them.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2018 01:03 #788303 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Teflon Wrist Pin Buttons
Use whatever you prefer. either circlips or buttons will do the job as long as they are fitted and used correctly.
I've never had problems with either but prefer buttons for racing/frequent stripdowns and clips for long term road builds.
Re-using clips is not recommended as they get stressed and distorted on removal and re-use is the main reason they get an undeserved bad rap when one pops out.
For the sake of a couple of cents just buy new clips and save yourself a top end rebuild later on.
You should be able to get your buttons from Joe Hooper at Pitstop Performance if that's what you want but for the road I wouldn't bother unless the pistons have no provision for the clip like most MTC's.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
06 Mar 2019 12:04 #799825 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Teflon Wrist Pin Buttons
First, only use buttons for pistons and pins designed for them! If your pistons didn't come with buttons (only) or buttons as an option, then use the correct clips intended to work with your pistons - ONLY!

I've got a new MTC 1395 for the bathtub GPz1100, and the "kit" uses MTC teflon buttons, as do all MTC pistons I have seen for the KZ and GS. As far as I know, they are reported to wear to an oval shape eventually when used on the street, but are preferred for racing. Greg Cope's tuning tips on APE's site suggest using aluminum buttons for street engines, and I assume you used to have that option when buying the ultra-lite Wiseco racing pistons (unfortunately out of production now). I think you would have to make these aluminum buttons yourself by machining a type of aluminum suitable for the job. I wish I knew what alloy would be best, but until I find out from a reputable source, I'm not risking my new big block engine to experiment, so teflon it is for now.....

I'm building another MTC 1395 for / with a buddy, and it is definitely a street engine that will get used hard and often, so I'll know more about any issues with teflon buttons soon enough!

Besides, if APE Jay says teflon buttons work, then I'll assume teflon buttons don't have any serious problems!

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
06 Mar 2019 12:44 #799828 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Teflon Wrist Pin Buttons
I have had total success with Teflon Buttons . Street / Strip / all good.
Never been a fan of circlips . Just a pain to use and cant reuse safely.
Some folks like Aluminum Buttons , but I dont . I have seen them fail in motors
usually due to heat / racing . Never seen a Teflon button cause a motor failure / meltdown
MTC pistons with Teflon buttons is my preferred setup
Hope this Helps
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
06 Mar 2019 16:56 #799839 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Teflon Wrist Pin Buttons
This is a 13yo thread...

1981 KZ750 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Mar 2019 18:50 #799842 by SWest

More
06 Mar 2019 19:16 - 06 Mar 2019 19:19 #799843 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Teflon Wrist Pin Buttons

SWest wrote: GOOD INFO ANYWAY

That it is ;)

On a related note, make sure that your teflon pins are actually teflon. My only 2nd hand experience is with 'teflon' (PTFE) pins was when they turned out to be 'tivar' (UHMWPE). Do not use UHMWPE in an engine, it can't handle the heat - it's melting point is 130C compared to 327C for PTFE. They are sometimes confused because in most applications where a strong, high impact, low friction material is needed they both work well (UHMWPE is stronger than PTFE), but UHMWPE is generally cheaper.

Here's what happens when you use UHMWPE in an engine.

1981 KZ750 LTD
Last edit: 06 Mar 2019 19:19 by Irish Yobbo.

More
07 Mar 2019 02:34 #799848 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Teflon Wrist Pin Buttons
I missed it the first time around. Good info.
Interesting on the counterfeit teflon!

More
07 Mar 2019 23:21 - 07 Mar 2019 23:22 #799915 by Big Jay
Replied by Big Jay on topic Teflon Wrist Pin Buttons
We generally only do aluminum buttons for fuel motors. Unlike teflon buttons that fit into the pin bores in the pistons, aluminum buttons have a stem the presses into the end of the pin. Essentially making pins with aluminum ends. Fast to install remove pins during engine service.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2019 23:22 by Big Jay.