kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...

More
22 Apr 2008 18:41 #208322 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
Geez guys, kill me too if you must, but like Ron, I also have had great luck with Genuine Kawasaki cables and other genuine parts. I've never had a genuine cable fray or break (unlike the aftermarket cables I used years ago on my old BSA). I replaced all cables on my KZ650 at about 40,000 miles only because I got a super ebay deal on a set of NOS cables; I still have the originals hanging in the basement and they are perfectly usable if I ever need one. Yes, I do lube the cables from time to time, but I consider that normal maintenance. I only got 36,000 miles out of the original chain, but I used to ride VERY hard (I'm on my 9th set of tires). Now that I'm getting older I don't scrape centerstand tang or right footpeg as often so I must be mellowing out. I would have to say that with over 300,000 miles on KZ's Ron has a lot of experience to back up his opinions, so I wouldn't dismiss his observations quite so lightly. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2008 18:50 #208324 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
The problem with Ron's opinions is they are based on the exception, rather than the rule.

Ron constantly badmouths aftermarket parts and over praises OEM parts when that is not fact based. Many aftermarket parts are FAR superior to OEM, and I would agree many aftermarket parts are inferior to OEM. However, blanket statements that all aftermarket parts are crap (Ron's words) are fundamentally wrong. Period.

When this discussion started Ron made a statement that replacing an aftermarket cable would solve a problem when there's more than a good potential the problem is an assembly problem that would have ruined an OEM cable as quickly as the aftermarket cable.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
22 Apr 2008 19:31 #208328 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
i don't dispute that ron has beautiful bikes and takes very good care of them.
if he even has half of the miles logged that he says he does, that's quite impressive.

i do take execption to his statement that his look better then anything else.

oe i great if your into that kind of thing.
but there are many here who do mod their bikes and like i said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

i can appericate a 100% stock bike but i lean torwords the one's the owners make their own.

to make a statement saying yours looks better then anyone else's is just a narrow minded imo

we build and maintain these bikes for the love of them and to make them our own.
to insult every member here is just wrong.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
22 Apr 2008 19:55 #208332 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
I'm still vey curious and am following this thread (at least the original part) to see why the cables keep snapping BUT..... I mainly buy aftermarket parts like cables because I cannot afford OEM prices. I've been a mechanic for 25 years and at least 90% of the parts I install on a car are aftermarket. Same with my bike, I've had no problem with cables , etc. I get my parts mostly from Jeff (Z1) and I'm sure if he thought a part was inferiour he would not sell it. Just my 2 cents....:)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
22 Apr 2008 22:56 #208363 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
650ed wrote:

Geez guys, kill me too if you must, but like Ron, I also have had great luck with Genuine Kawasaki cables and other genuine parts. I've never had a genuine cable fray or break (unlike the aftermarket cables I used years ago on my old BSA).

You had better luck than I did. The original clutch cable on my '79 750 snapped after 14 months which is two months out of warranty, and it popped about 25 miles from home. That's the day I learned how to shift gears without the clutch.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Apr 2008 05:50 #208686 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
Kingcobra, so how is the progress on the cable situation? I've been following this and am very curious as to what is causing it.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
24 Apr 2008 06:10 #208689 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
Iron Butt Ron can be Iron Head Ron at times and even Butt Head Ron(with that "my bikes" statement). He has a right to his opinions as we all do. His experiences dictate one thing and your experiences may vary. Remember we are all humans here and nobody is the KZ god "Kwackers"! All hail KWACKERS! :blink: :blink: :blink: :ohmy: :unsure: :S :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Signed
Sillystringalong Pootalamadingdong

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
24 Apr 2008 07:14 #208699 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
OK, I apologize for some of my comments and in the future all comments will include "in my opinion".
I'm awaiting the Motion Pro clutch cables arival from Z1 and will do the comparison test including sizing, and pull effort on the lever ect compared to a new factory 087 Kawasaki cable. I have an inch/lb torque whench rigged to the lever on this excellent condition (for its age) KZ650 for the testing.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
Attachments: