kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...

More
18 Apr 2008 19:59 #207486 by Kingcobra
so I just put a new clutch cable on a friends bike and not a month later it's broken. it's pulling the lever end right off the cable. and this is the 2nd cable it's done it too. the cable isn't binding and the lever isn't doing it. but the lever is hard to pull in. is there something wrong with the clutch inside the engine? or???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2008 00:34 #207514 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
I wonder if the push-rod is mal-adjusted? If it bottoms out and is pulled even farther by the cable.

Any ideas guys?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
19 Apr 2008 04:00 #207524 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
You don't say what year bike the 1000 is.

The earlier 1000's use a worm gear clutch release mechanism. This is behind the sprocket cover on the LH side of the engine. It is possible to install this part 90 degrees wrong. The lever must pull through 90 degrees when installed.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
19 Apr 2008 07:04 #207550 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
You are using original Kawasaki cables? I assume not.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
19 Apr 2008 09:10 #207585 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
if its hard to pull I dont care what cable you are using it aint gonna last,, does the bike have a stock clutch and springs in it,,if so then its time to look at the mech movement ,something is causing it to bind up, bent rod,ect

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
19 Apr 2008 09:44 - 19 Apr 2008 09:48 #207596 by RonKZ650
BSKZ650 wrote:

if its hard to pull I dont care what cable you are using it aint gonna last,, does the bike have a stock clutch and springs in it,,if so then its time to look at the mech movement ,something is causing it to bind up, bent rod,ect

That's all true, but a Kawasaki cable will last quite a while even if the clutch is hard to pull. Aftermaket? May last a while if easy to pull, may not. Definately won't last if the pull is hard. I'd bet if it's an aftermarket cable, the fact it's hard to pull is the cable itself. I'll assume with 95% certainty we are referring to aftermarket cables here. Get the correct cable and problems will be gone.

Last edit: 19 Apr 2008 09:48 by RonKZ650.

More
19 Apr 2008 10:20 #207605 by Jeff.Saunders
Ron - sometimes your comments just are downright amusing - in a sad way. To fix the problem, you first have to understand the problem. Comments like using a Kawasaki cable to fix what is probably an installation problem is ludicrous... So if it's genuine Kawasaki cable that broke, what should he then do?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
19 Apr 2008 10:46 #207613 by RonKZ650
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

Ron - sometimes your comments just are downright amusing - in a sad way. To fix the problem, you first have to understand the problem. Comments like using a Kawasaki cable to fix what is probably an installation problem is ludicrous... So if it's genuine Kawasaki cable that broke, what should he then do?

Well if it's stock Kawasaki I'll eat my words. No stock Kawasaki cable will break whithin a month. I don't care how hard the clutch pull is. It all depends how hard "hard to pull" is. If it takes both hands to pull, sure there's a problem.
What's sad to me is everyone tries to save a buck using cheap crap parts, then they don't hold up. I know we've been through this all before. It's not just motorcycle parts, it's the world in general. Everyone goes to walmart and buys their chinese crap. No different in motorcycle business except walmart hasn't got into that yet. When they do though---Yipee!!! $4 for a clutch cable that is universal and fits all Kawasaki from 1966 to 1999 and we'll be sitting great then.

More
19 Apr 2008 12:11 #207633 by Jeff.Saunders
Ron, you are entitled to your opinion, but we you give bad advice to other forum members, it's bad for all of us...

If that bike is an early KZ1000, I would expect the problem to be an assembly issue, not a cable issue.

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
19 Apr 2008 14:25 #207653 by RonKZ650
I could very well be wrong. I ordered one of your Motion Pro cables. I'll compare it to the stock Kawasaki for length, thickness of the sheath, thickness of the wire, thickness of the cable ect, the way the ends attach and so on and see.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
19 Apr 2008 14:33 #207656 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic kz1000 snapping brand new clutch cables...
RonKZ650 wrote:

No stock Kawasaki cable will break whithin a month.

So you're basically saying that Kawasaki QC (or QC at the many companies that manufacture parts for them) is infallible, and that since KMC's (or their parts suppliers) inception that there's never been any part produced that was defective or broke in a short span of time?:huh:

Most people (and I assume you as well) grease the cable "barrel" ends before installing, and periodically after that.
That grease will attract dirt and road grime/grit, and over time will wear away at the softer metal that is the clutch lever and perch.
Now if the clutch lever or clutch perch has damage/wear to them where the cable rides, will the OEM "super" cable not fall victim to it?

Let me throw a sceanrio out here.
Say the clutch cables on all of your KZ's (God forbid) eventually break. And as the norm with many NOS OEM parts for our bikes, are no longer manufactured and the supplies of them have run out worldwide.
Will you simply stop riding your bikes because of this?
Will you scour every source you can find to locate some used (and likely questionable) OEM cables, or bite your lip and plunk down some greenbacks on some NEW "inferior" aftermarket cables so you can ride again?

As for me, I'd rather ride my bikes than just sit there repeatedly polishing them and taking about the "good ol' days" when OEM parts were still available.:whistle:

RonKZ650 wrote:

Well if it's stock Kawasaki I'll eat my words.

I'm willing to bet that there are quite a few members here that will make you aware of that if it proves to be true.

And if so, might I suggest a good sturdy fork...

...and a couple of shots of "happy juice" to take away the pain and make it all go down easier.

;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
19 Apr 2008 15:46 #207667 by RonKZ650
Well that fork won't break while using it to eat my words if need be I'll bet :laugh: The Kawasaki cable for a KZ650 is $38.80, the motion pro $14. Is there a difference in them? I'm sure about $24.80 worth but I'm going to find out. All I know is anything I own lasts longer and looks better than anyone elses, so I'm not 100% flake in my goofy beliefs. Maybe 95%.