Degreeing aftermarket cams

More
11 Feb 2008 22:23 #194146 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Degreeing aftermarket cams
You are asking for a "starting point" but you don't even tell us if the engine is even together ?

1974 Z1a, still 903

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2008 23:07 #194147 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Degreeing aftermarket cams
contact megacycle to get the specs to those cams, all I know is the d cams are 277deg .345in 294deg .325ex. To start you will need to know the lash. Start at tdc #1 piston. install the cams so the ex. lobe for no.1 is facing to the front with half the lobe tip below the head where the valve cover bolts on, the upper half of the lobe point above it. This is straight up timing, and where you start. The intake is positioned exactely the same wat EXEPT it faces toward the back of the bike. Ask mega if the cams require slotted sprockets. If they do, put one bolt into the sprocket on each cam sprocket and tighten up with the head exactely in the middle of the slot on both cams. slowely turn the motor over until the intake valve opens fully and the cam lobe is dead center to the eye in the middle of the bucket shim. check the deg. wheel for what the lobe center is and adust from there to get it close to the cams specs. After that you can use the dial to double check the work. Before checking op. and cl. #s you must have the lash setting correct on the bucket you set your dial on. The op and cl #s are then going to make sense and from there it should come together. I have the same video as you have and it tells you ev. thing you need to know. Watch it as many times as you like but people will make fun of you and start to hate you. Dont let them get in the way. If you have questions I'm sure i can help. Mega cycle will not tell you over the phone about the specs but will send you them in the mail. Don't ask me why and dont anyone tell me either cuz i don't care. Someplace on the net or some person will probly come out with the specs for the cams you have and then u can get started. Make sure all the rollers are good and the tensioner too. U only need to intall the #1 intake and exhaust valves in the head to do this. When both cams are installed in the head be careful when turning one only, in case the valves for that cam hit the open valves for the other one. Take care bolting in the second cam for this same reason. If you want to check shim clearance put the buckets in the head (head off) and leave all the springs out so you can bolt in the cams and slide in the valves one by one to see if they need trimming etc. Start the whole operation by finding tdc and installing the cams as i said. Youll always know if you are doing it right, the #s will all match nicely.

More
12 Feb 2008 04:50 #194163 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic Degreeing aftermarket cams
MDawnz1 wrote:

You are asking for a "starting point" but you don't even tell us if the engine is even together ?

The engine is together, at least everything except the cams.;)

More
12 Feb 2008 05:01 #194166 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Degreeing aftermarket cams
finding top dead center is the first step, you can use a stop on the piston, but make sure it clears the valves. if you use a stop, set the degree wheel up on the crank with a pointer, rotate until the stop hits mark the wheel, rotate the opposite direction mark where the stop is, divide by two and that is top dead center, you will need the cam specs to finish the job

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob