Degreeing aftermarket cams

More
11 Feb 2008 18:13 #194077 by inline4
Degreeing aftermarket cams was created by inline4
For some reason this procedure is intimidating the hell out of me (but probably not as much as my electrical issues:ohmy: )
Here is my starting point:
'74Z1A; Wiseco 1015cc, 10.25:1CR pistons; Kenny Harmon D grind cams; complete Dyna S ignition; slotted cam sprockets.
Where the hell is the starting point for this set-up?
The time has come to "degree in" the cams but I don't have a clue as to a starting point.:( :( :(
I even bought a cam degreeing dvd from Dale Walker's Holeshot Performance, but he seems to be degreeing an engine that is already set up!
This project is approaching FOUR YEARS OLD! I really need to get this Z on the road. I now have a CB550K and a CB200T that I want to 'cafe", but I must get this project up and running before I get involved in another.
Is there a thread here that I have overlooked?
I'm depending on you guys for your help.
Remember, I've been in the wine and liquor business for over 30 years. There ARE perks, you know! Not that I'm trying to bribe anyone or anything.:whistle: :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2008 19:16 #194096 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Degreeing aftermarket cams
Inline...do you have the specs for the cams you have?
You'll need that info before you can do anything with those cams,bud.
I had a friend of mine help me with mine,and ya...it is quite a process,but for him it was easy,as he had done it many times before.
You'll need a degreeing wheel,and a top-dead-center gauge.

Anyway...the specs will be something like the attached pic...
(sorry I can't be more help)

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2008/02/11 22:17

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Attachments:

More
11 Feb 2008 19:53 #194107 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Degreeing aftermarket cams
yep,gotta have a starting point;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Feb 2008 20:06 #194115 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic Degreeing aftermarket cams
I've got all the necessary tools to do the job;
just lack the know-how.
I'm ready to give up on those cams and go with something else. Hell, it's only money, right?:whistle: :whistle:

More
11 Feb 2008 20:20 #194122 by elseed
Replied by elseed on topic Degreeing aftermarket cams
Inline -- Was in the same spot some time ago, my project forcing me into new things. I bent a couple (brand new) valves (on my fresh head) due to severe stupidity once, so I can see where you're coming from. Guys already told you about getting a target - specs in terms of intake/exhaust degrees.

But I recall the Holeshot video being fairly helpful actually, if you ignore the fact that he's dealing with a drag bike. The cam math isn't bad and fun really, once you wrap your head around it. One step at a time, keep checking the video...

One problem I had, though I have oversize valves, was the positive stop tool could make contact with the intake valves. Also, you hafta fool around to make the dial indicator clear everything -- maybe bend the extension a bit to get around the cam. Make yourself some kind of steel plate fixture bolted into the valve cover holes to firmly mount the magnetic dial indicator. One other thing: I recall preferring to use the ignition side of the engine for mounting the dial to avoid taking off my leaky generator cover again.

Overall advice: If the engine doesn't seem to wanna turn, STOP!! Look things over again.

I'll poke around and see if I have any helpful links. But check that video again, get yerself setup: valve cover off, cam sprockets somewhere about the middle of the slots, standard cam mounting procedures to start (by the manual), get cam caps bolted down in approx. stock timing (your sprockets marked?), mount the dial, make an indicator needle, etc., etc., etc.

'75 Z1B with mods

More
11 Feb 2008 20:34 #194128 by Sandy
I'm checking with "Dragbike.com" right now,but the search function appears to be down.I keep getting a "Timed out".:unsure:

Don't give up Jim.Like elseed said...one step at a time.

I feel bad,becaus it was Me that sold those cams to Jim.We just figured that out in a u2u,lol:laugh:

Hmmm...I wonder how those cams would compare to the 410's I have?(attached specs above)...Elseed?...

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
11 Feb 2008 20:46 #194130 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Degreeing aftermarket cams
click here
written by the one and only Doug MeyerB)

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
11 Feb 2008 21:12 #194133 by Sandy
Just so you know,Jim(and a reminder if I already told you)...those cams came out of a 74 900 with a 1000 top end...the shim-bucket areas WERE clearanced,and the shim set-up WAS "shim over bucket",so one can only ASSUME that the cams are of a tamer grind.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
11 Feb 2008 21:16 #194135 by 77KZ650
why dont you just mic the lift and find out for sure?

01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
11 Feb 2008 21:25 #194137 by Sandy
77KZ650 wrote:

why dont you just mic the lift and find out for sure?

That's a good idea,and a good start.
What's the base circle measurement?I'll have to look that up again.
We could try that,Jim...and compare?...:huh:

(110 base circle)

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2008/02/12 00:29

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
11 Feb 2008 21:33 #194140 by 77KZ650
mic the biggest part of the lobe, then mic the lobe 90 degrees from that, it should be the smallest part. subtract the small number from the big numer and you have the amount of lift. you can figure out duration with the degree kit

More
11 Feb 2008 21:39 #194141 by Sandy
Here's some more info,Jim...from APE...

www.aperaceparts.com/COPE.HTML

Scroll down to "Cams"...close to the top of the page.

1977 KZ1000 A-1