Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 04:36 #19212

• Samwell
  • Samwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The next chapter in my ongoing rebuild of my '78 KZ1000A2. I managed to repair the head that I broke. See below for 'the after' pic. However, the guy who welded it for had to remove the exhaust valve because heat would melt the valve stem seal. Well, I have a set of seals courtesy of Z1 Enterprises. My problem is I don't have anything to compress the spring to put it back together.

DO I need a special Kawi tool? Would a big C-clamp do? There's this:http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Kawasaki-Valve-Spring-Compression-Special-Tool_W0QQitemZ4605733092QQcategoryZ35595QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

listed on ebay, but how do I use it?

Post edited by: samwell, at: 2006/01/22 07:38
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 05:50 #19216

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Kawi does sell a valve spring compression tool, but am willing to bet it's expensive. I built one by merely adding an extension to a cheap small engine valve spring compressor. The trick is the bit which goes over the valve and allows you to add or remove the keepers. Try checking the archives. I would not be surprised to see plans for a homemade tool. It can be done cheaply. Maybe a shop would charge minimal coin for just one valve. The OEM tool mught even be worth the expense.

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 06:21 #19218

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1282
Hey Samwell,
I bought an after market compressor and then modified a deep socket to be able to get to the keepers.

I know it's a lot of work for one valve. Did you break the head the way I think you did?

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2006/01/22 09:24
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Attachments:

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 06:38 #19220

• Samwell
  • Samwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
KZCSI wrote:

Hey Samwell,
I bought an after market compressor and then modified a deep socket to be able to get to the keepers.

I know it's a lot of work for one valve. Did you break the head the way I think you did?

I broke it by being stupid of course! I left the kawi shim tool in place(for got it was there!) and tested my newly re-built starter. Doh!

Sam

KZCSI

<br><br>Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2006/01/22 09:24

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 07:13 #19224

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I use a C-Clamp and an O2 Sensor socket on the 750, I don't know if it will work on the 1000 though.
KD9JUR

I feel your pain! 22 Jan 2006 07:32 #19227

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1282
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the shim tool. I know it's too late but I bet JB Weld would have fixed that break without welding. It'll take more heat than you'd think.

When I bought my KZ900 the dealer asked when I was going to bring it in for a valve adjustment. I told him that when the time came I'd do it myself. He responded by telling me that when I ended up breaking my head I shouldn't bother to bring it to him for repair. I've always remembered his admonition (30 years ago) and disconnected my battery when working on the valves.

If any of you are looking for some of that dealer's most excellent advice visit Miller Honda in Winchester, VA.

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 09:36 #19249

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Samwell,
Check your auto parts stores, I believe some let you borrow tools with a deposit. You could probably do it right there on their counter.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 13:05 #19284

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The store bought valve spring compressor Bill pictured is likely made by Motion Pro and www.z1enterprises.com sells them. You need to understand that WHATEVER valve spring compressor is used, you need to have an adapter that just fits over a valve spring retainer and is thin enough to fit between the retainer and wall of the valve well. If you buy a compressor from the autoparts store you will still need the proper adapter and the one from an autoparts store is unlikely to have one. Having said that, I use an 8" C clamp with a nut welded to the fixed end. The purpose of the nut is to reach around the end of the head and clamp onto the valve. If you don't have the nut, you won't be able to clamp. On the other end, I use an adapter made by my buddy, Roy-b-boy-b. He makes them out of old buckets so they ARE just the right size. The point is to compress the spring so that the springs don't tension the split keepers. Once tension is off the keepers, they can just be fished out with a magnet. I suggest you contact Roy and bribe him to make you an adapter and get a C clamp and weld a nut on or pay for a Motion Pro compressor. This is a picture of my set up:
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 13:06 #19285

• wiredgeorge
  • User
The store bought valve spring compressor Bill pictured is likely made by Motion Pro and www.z1enterprises.com sells them. You need to understand that WHATEVER valve spring compressor is used, you need to have an adapter that just fits over a valve spring retainer and is thin enough to fit between the retainer and wall of the valve well. If you buy a compressor from the autoparts store you will still need the proper adapter and the one from an autoparts store is unlikely to have one. Having said that, I use an 8" C clamp with a nut welded to the fixed end. The purpose of the nut is to reach around the end of the head and clamp onto the valve. If you don't have the nut, you won't be able to clamp. On the other end, I use an adapter made by my buddy, Roy-b-boy-b. He makes them out of old buckets so they ARE just the right size. The point is to compress the spring so that the springs don't tension the split keepers. Once tension is off the keepers, they can just be fished out with a magnet. I suggest you contact Roy and bribe him to make you an adapter and get a C clamp and weld a nut on or pay for a Motion Pro compressor. This is a picture of my set up:
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 13:08 #19286

• wiredgeorge
  • User
If wondering how this clamp/adapter works, I staged a picture with a valve OUT of the head. This is done to show the valve where you can see it. Imagine the valve in the head with the clamp around the head and the adapter over the valve spings/retainer.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 16:29 #19322

• xr350guy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
looks like a simple set up. When I was doing valves and seals on my friends KLR650, i just took the head to the dealer and they put it back together for me. Try phoning a local rental shop too, they might have the right valve spring compressor your looking for and would probly charge pennies to let you rent it for an hour.

Need help with valve spring comressor 22 Jan 2006 17:49 #19337

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
Here is what we use;

Jay