Installing Oil cooler on \"J\" Engine

More
28 Jan 2008 15:56 #191488 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Installing Oil cooler on
I don't think you'd have a problem starting it up and let the oil circulate through the system to fill up the cooler. I KNOW that lots of dragbikes only run 3 qt's oil in there engines and they live under that stress. That oil cooler won't hold that much where you should have a problem. Start it up, run for a bit and then recheck the oil level. If you feel doubtful, add a half qt. and do it. It's just harder to drain out a little then add a little. I've always added what it normally takes for an oil change, and then checked after running, then adjust with the oil cooler I run...haven't had a problem!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
30 Jan 2008 10:55 #191830 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Installing Oil cooler on
brokenrod wrote:

on my 81 gpz1100 with stock cooler and fittings, the left hose goes up between 1&2 carb and the head, the right hose goes between 3&4 carb and the head. The lines run over the valve cover, through the frame and then into the respective left/right fittings on the cooler.

I've hit a little snag--literally.

I got the cooler mounted, and ran the hoses up over the valve cover and down between the 1/2 and 3/4 intake manifolds.

Then I mounted the carbs (BS34s). Then I noticed that the oil hoses are getting in the way of the throttle movement, not allowing the throttle to return to a closed position. If I push the hoses toward the head, I can get free travel of the throttle. But the hoses won't stay out of the way on their own.

What I am thinking about doing is to get some metal cable ties, threading them around the openings in the head (into the #2 & 3 spark plug areas) and around the oil hose to "pull" the hose toward the head to keep them out of the way of the throttle. I'll probably use some kind of protective cover around the hose to keep the cable ties from biting into the hose.

Any better suggestions?

West Linn, OR

More
30 Jan 2008 12:48 #191848 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Installing Oil cooler on
you can get some wider cable ties, also what about running the lines along the frame under the tank, cable tie them up and route them away from the carbs, you are not going to get a lot of movement on the lines so I dont think rubbing a hole in them will be a issue

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob