Installing Oil cooler on \"J\" Engine

More
04 Jan 2008 12:07 #187657 by tuxedotito
Replied by tuxedotito on topic Installing Oil cooler on
Hi Skyman,
If you follow the link to the auction and check the second picture down in the right hand column, you will see the bypass with the pressure switch installed. Not a bad looking engine and shipping seems pretty good too.
tinyurl.com/2qgth9

Post edited by: tuxedotito, at: 2008/01/04 15:09

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
More
04 Jan 2008 12:27 #187658 by kzstreetfighter71
Replied by kzstreetfighter71 on topic Installing Oil cooler on
ya im bidding on those on e-bay right now for my z1.

06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

More
04 Jan 2008 12:30 #187660 by jcote75
Replied by jcote75 on topic Installing Oil cooler on
Don't look that far.

There is one for sale in the classified of this board.

Check under Motorcycle for sale. 50$ is a deal I think.

Joce

More
04 Jan 2008 12:55 #187662 by tuxedotito
jcote75 wrote:

Don't look that far.

There is one for sale in the classified of this board.

Check under Motorcycle for sale. 50$ is a deal I think.

Joce

I agree...$50 is great with the sensor. I would ask for a picture to verify.
Nice find jcote75B)

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
16 Jan 2008 22:48 #189666 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Installing Oil cooler on
Okay I have some more questions.

I picked up a GPz1100 oil cooler. I've been looking for a stock switch/fitting so I can just bolt on the oil lines as is. But so far, no luck. The one that was listed in the KZR classified was sold. And the only ones I have seen on EBay are for the older pre-81 engines. And it looks like the one sold on www.americanclassix.com has hose barb fittings--so I'd need to rig new hoses, or cut the stock hose ends off.

If I can find a stock fitting, I'm not sure I fully understand some of the comments that have been made in this thread.

tuxedotito, you mentioned that the one in the classified section came with a sensor. What is the sensor? Is it not a standard part of the switch? Do you just mean the switch that is already on my J engine?

Another question I have is how do I route the hoses. On the stock GPz cooler I got, I cannot figure out the proper way to route the hoses. Do I route them around the right side of the block? Left side? One on each side? Over the top? How was it done on the GPz?

I'll keep looking for a stock switch. Hopefully I can find one soon.

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2008/01/17 01:57

West Linn, OR

More
17 Jan 2008 03:46 #189679 by brokenrod
Replied by brokenrod on topic Installing Oil cooler on
on my 81 gpz1100 with stock cooler and fittings, the left hose goes up between 1&2 carb and the head, the right hose goes between 3&4 carb and the head. The lines run over the valve cover, through the frame and then into the respective left/right fittings on the cooler.

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it...
1981 GPZ1100, 1981 kz1000m1(csr), 1979 suzuki gs425

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jan 2008 08:55 #189716 by Skyman
brokenrod wrote:

on my 81 gpz1100 with stock cooler and fittings, the left hose goes up between 1&2 carb and the head, the right hose goes between 3&4 carb and the head. The lines run over the valve cover, through the frame and then into the respective left/right fittings on the cooler.

Thank you. I was hoping that was the answer. Running the lines around the sides would look awful.

Now if I could just find the fitting... :(

West Linn, OR

More
17 Jan 2008 10:09 #189725 by tuxedotito
Skyman wrote:

tuxedotito, you mentioned that the one in the classified section came with a sensor. What is the sensor? Is it not a standard part of the switch? Do you just mean the switch that is already on my J engine?

You got it! I should have said switch instead of sensor. It is the white plastic oil pressure switch and it screws into either the standard "J" housing or the "GPz" bypass.
My stock lines were also up between the carbs, over the top of the valve cover, and out the front of the frame.
Good luck with the parts search!!

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

More
24 Jan 2008 09:38 #190816 by tuxedotito
Hi Skyman,
I saw this and thought of your posting. It is not factory "GPz", but it is correct for a "J" engine.
Good luck either way!
tinyurl.com/ytr7b8

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jan 2008 09:49 #190820 by Skyman
tuxedotito wrote:

Hi Skyman,
I saw this and thought of your posting. It is not factory "GPz", but it is correct for a "J" engine.
Good luck either way!
tinyurl.com/ytr7b8

Thanks, Tux.

I saw this too. The problem with this one is that it doesn't have the GPz 1100 stock hose connectors. This one looks like it is configured for just standard hose and clamps--which would work if I changed the hoses.

But it is a moot point, and your timing is excellent.

Not more than ten minutes ago, I just closed a deal with the guy who was selling the GPz engine which you linked upthread. The engine didn't sell the first go around, so I contacted him and asked if he would sell me the cooler fitting/switch off of it. He agreed to sell it for $14.99. :)

Actually, this is the same guy I bought the cooler from. So I will be reuniting the original cooler and fitting. :lol:

Thanks for your help. I think I am set now. B)

West Linn, OR

More
24 Jan 2008 10:00 #190826 by tuxedotito
Skyman wrote:

tuxedotito wrote:

Hi Skyman,
Good luck either way!
tinyurl.com/ytr7b8

Thanks, Tux.

I saw this too. The problem with this one is that it doesn't have the GPz 1100 stock hose connectors. This one looks like it is configured for just standard hose and clamps--which would work if I changed the hoses.

But it is a moot point, and your timing is excellent.

Not more than ten minutes ago, I just closed a deal with the guy who was selling the GPz engine which you linked upthread. The engine didn't sell the first go around, so I contacted him and asked if he would sell me the cooler fitting/switch off of it. He agreed to sell it for $14.99. :)

Actually, this is the same guy I bought the cooler from. So I will be reuniting the original cooler and fitting. :lol:

Thanks for your help. I think I am set now. B)

Good score...nice price.;)

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jan 2008 13:39 #191466 by Skyman
Okay, here's another question.

I now have all the pieces in place, and will try to hook everything up tonight.

Is there anything I need to know or be careful of w/r/t the new oil capacity? So now that I have the cooler on, I know that I will need to add extra oil. What's the preferred method for adding the extra oil?

Should I

a) start the bike with the current oil level as is, let the oil get pumped into the cooler and then shut the engine off and add more oil to bring the level up?

or

b) add a little extra oil before starting the engine, then let the cooler fill up, then adjust level?

Thanks.

West Linn, OR