Compression test- Need Suggestions

More
09 Nov 2007 19:35 #180410 by terps19
Compression test- Need Suggestions was created by terps19
I finally got the lower miles engine into the nicer frame... I will post the pic when my friend emails it to me.

So the engine is all bolted in and hooked up the wiring harness. Do I have to hook up the exhaust pipes in order to do the compression test? The Haynes manual doesnt really cover doing the test this way.

Can I just hook the battery up to it without the pipes and crank the elec starter?

Thanks!

Post edited by: terps19, at: 2007/11/11 10:58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2007 00:23 #180427 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic Compression test
You dont need the pipes on for a compression test just hold the throttle wide open

More
10 Nov 2007 10:58 #180479 by terps19
Replied by terps19 on topic Compression test
Thanks Katjbus

I dont have the carbs on either- so I dont have to worry about holding the throttle open. Thanks for the info and I will post what happens later today!

More
10 Nov 2007 13:53 #180489 by terps19
Replied by terps19 on topic Compression test
I just hooked up a charged battery and all the lights came on... good sign. I hit the starter button once for a split second and I heard the engine crank. ANother good sign. Now I will do the compression test after dinner and see what is what!

More
11 Nov 2007 07:57 #180545 by terps19
Replied by terps19 on topic Compression test- Need Suggestions
I hooked up the engine and battery yesterday- lights come on and engine cranks. Carbs and exhaust are not mounted.

I tried to do a compression test with these steps:
1. Removed spark plugs one by one and put them in order they were taken out.
2. Hooked up the compression tester to the far left spark plug hole if sitting on bike using the 14 mm adapter- the threads on the 14 mm are longer than the rest as well. THe tester was bought at Advanced Auto Parts for $35 came with three adpaters (10, 12, 14 mm).
3. Engaged the clutch
4. Turned the key (lights come on) and hit the elec starter for about 3-4 seconds and release and repeat about 3 times.

There was no reading on the compression tester and I dont understand why. I tried it with the 14 mm adapter screwed in tight and once leaving about 1/2 of a turn until tightened and still no reading.

What am I doing wrong? The engine is connected to the hiring harness and bolted into the engine- carbs, exhaist, airbox/air filters not hooked up.

Thanks for any advice

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
11 Nov 2007 08:58 #180553 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Compression test- Need Suggestions
What about the other cylinders?

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
11 Nov 2007 10:03 #180562 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic Compression test- Need Suggestions
does the guage bounce when you are cranking the engine? somtimes the schrader valve in the testers go bad or maybe there isnt one in it! Did you run the test on the other cylinders?If not you should that will tell you alot more. if you dont have any compresion it could be as simple as tight valves!?

More
11 Nov 2007 19:17 #180610 by terps19
All the other cylinders have no reading as well.
When I hit the elec starter it just sounds like something is spinning or turning.

Again the engine is only bolted to the frame and hooked to the wiring harness. Exhausts, carbs etc are all off the engine.

Any ideas?

• scumbag
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
More
11 Nov 2007 19:46 #180611 by scumbag
Replied by scumbag on topic Compression test- Need Suggestions
me thinks its user error

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
11 Nov 2007 19:53 #180613 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Compression test- Need Suggestions
Have you tried a finger compression test? Try blocking off one of the spark plug holes with your finger. That should tell you something...

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
11 Nov 2007 21:25 #180626 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Compression test- Need Suggestions
Three things:

(1) The engine is not actually spinning, it's just the starter you hear.

(2) Your compression tester is not working.

(3) There are no pistons or rods inside the motor.

Personally, Id guess number one or two.

If it actually has compression, and you are spinning it with all the plugs removed, then you are going to hear the compression escaping through the plug holes, it's pretty hard to not hear it.

It is very well possible that the starter is spinning but the starter clutch may be slipping and not turning the motor over.

Take the right side round cover off and see if the timing advancer is rotating when you hit the starter button, or look down in the plug holes with a LED penlight and see if the pistons are moving.

KD9JUR

More
12 Nov 2007 13:50 #180725 by terps19
Thanks steell...

I am pretty sure it is just the starter I hear as I dont hear anything escaping from the spark plug wells/holes. When I put my finger over one of the holes I can keep it there while I hit the elec starter.

I will take off the right side cover and see what is what. If the timing advancer is not rotating then what would be the next step testing the starter clutch? If it is rotating then I am guessing I am doing the test wrong.

The starter cover is off and the clutch cable is not connected.

Thanks for the suggestions. I sure hope somethig works!