Compression test- Need Suggestions

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
16 Nov 2007 21:41 #181409 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Compression test- Need Suggestions
I'm not even going to touch this one, but it sure makes for some good reading. :S Can't wait to hear the results.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2007 05:30 #181433 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Compression test- Need Suggestions

So I should do the valve adjustment first and then carry on with the unsticking the rings? After the valve adjustment would I have to replace the head gasket right away or wait since I might have to get in there again?

Ok, it's not the head gasket that you need (maybe) to replace when you adjust the valves, it's the cam cover gasket.

Rotate the motor a couple of revolutions using the 17mm nut under the 13mm (?) bolt head that on the right front side under the timing cover. I'd do that once a day for a couple of days to try and break the rings free. I would go ahead and check/adjust the valves right now, that will involve turning the motor over anyway.

Lay a rag over the top of the head with the spark plugs removed when you are ready to do the compression test, most of the oil will either blow out the spark plug holes or the exhaust.

With luck you will see around 140 (hopefully more) on the next compression test. A good motor will show 180-200 psi on a wet compression test, I have a 750 four motor that read 70-80 psi dry, then jumped to 200-210 after dumping a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder for a wet test. The motor was run with no air filters for years :(

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.