Cool running cylinders

More
17 Oct 2007 13:52 #176737 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cool running cylinders
Seems all non-carb items have been addressed. :cheer:

Before any carb disassembly, would recommend testing the service fuel level in the float bowls, using the clear plastic tube method. Look for too high fuel level in carbs 1 and 2.

If fuel levels are okay, would next suspect the pilot circuits.

And, is an in-line fuel filter in place?

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2007 14:37 #176744 by Kersten
Replied by Kersten on topic Cool running cylinders
The only filter so far is the petcock filter. Do you guys generally replace the petcock with a single outlet one, the run a filter to a splitter? The left side hose is pretty short fof an inline.

If the fuel level is too high wouldn't it flow through the overflow before it flooded the carb out?

Post edited by: Kersten, at: 2007/10/17 17:40

More
17 Oct 2007 15:09 #176749 by Patton
Would put separate in-line filter on each line between the petcock and carbs. And route a new left line with a loop to allow room for the filter.

By the time excess fuel reaches the overflow, the proper level has already been exceeded. So a too high fuel level may result in excessively rich mixture without overflowing.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Oct 2007 15:26 #176751 by Kersten
I just re-adjusted the floats and cleaned out the float valves and slapped them back on, to no avail.
Against my better judgment I rearranged the slides the last time I had them off (1 and 2 swapped with 3 and 4), and this time I swapped the floats out the same way. I checked all the jets,(spotless)and put them back on, again, to no avail.
1 and 2 are still running cooler, and backfiring, Particularly after shutting it off and restarting.

More
19 Oct 2007 11:57 #177096 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic Cool running cylinders
Patton wrote:

it is entirely possible for acceptable cold compression figures to become unacceptable as the engine reaches operating temperature.

And vice versa?

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

More
19 Oct 2007 12:01 #177097 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic Cool running cylinders
wiredgeorge wrote:

Whether the carbs are in sync or not will not affect the cylinders firing. Off base a little...

I was hypothesizing that if the throttle plates on 1 and 2 were not opening as far as the plates on 3 and 4 then the first pair might not burn as hot but I guess it wouldn't be quite so hot.

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

More
25 Oct 2007 16:02 #178112 by Kersten
THREAD REVIVAL!!!!!! (lol)

Ok,
Compression check
good
Valve lash
good
Timing, plugs,wires----good
Fuel, filters
good
So, I had a friend check out the carbs again (logical right?). We put the slides back in the proper carbs, but he noticed the carbs were on the rack wrong, so we swapped them back into their rightful position. Double checked the floats, blew everything out again, did another bench synch and slapped them back on.
Zero, Zilch, Nada, NO F'n change whatsoever.
Now
as before, 1 and 2 are still running cool, loading up and popping, and 3 and 4 are running fine.
EVEN THOUGH we swapped the carbs around. #1 and #3 carb were in the wrong place on the rack and got swapped back.
(Here's were my head spins---->) IF it is the carbs, wouldn't #1 run fine now and #3 be running cool?

More
25 Oct 2007 16:41 #178121 by Patton
So let's look at the electrical part again --

Are original coils being used?

What is voltage measurement to coils?

What is voltage measured across battery terminals at idle speed?

What is voltage measured across battery terminals at 4000 rpm?

What is condition of battery?

What is condition of the plug wires?

What is condition of the plug wire caps?

Has spray water mist over plug wires on running engine in darkened garage been performed to check for electronic leakage?

What is condition of the spark plugs?

All of the above matters with respect to the quality of spark across the plug tips. Is it a good, fat blue spark?

The AXIOM --
correct fuel mixture,
at sufficient compression,
with properly timed adequate spark,
WILL produce cylinder firing. :)

So a non-firing cylinder (i.e., cool exhaust pipe) is evidence that at least one of the above axiuom conditions is failing.

With acceptance of correct compression and valve clearances, that leaves fuel mixture, ignition timing, and spark quality.

The above questions relate to spark quality. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffwerner

More
26 Oct 2007 06:21 #178214 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Cool running cylinders
Ok... you have compression and the valve clearances are OK... Two cylinders are cool; aka not firing. The #1 and #2 cylinders? OK... swap the #1 plug wire with the #4 and the #2 with the #3. See if the problem MOVES to the #3 and #4 cylinders. If it stays on the #1 and #2 cylinders, I think it is safe to rule out electrical but not before. Then it will be safe to assume it is a carburetor issue.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Oct 2007 09:02 #178232 by Litespd1100
Replied by Litespd1100 on topic Cool running cylinders
Not trying to insult anyone but have you checked the spark plug wires?

More
26 Oct 2007 09:29 #178245 by twinkyrider
Replied by twinkyrider on topic Cool running cylinders
Just my .02... are you sure enough fuel is flowing to the 1 and 2 carbs? Is the petcock partially plugged and just trickling a scant amount of fuel. Sounds like there's just enough fuel for idle but then leans way out above that(hence popping and backfiring) like the fuel isn't flowing fast enough above idle (incomplete burning due to insufficient fuel). If you pull the fuel lines off the carbs and open the petcock does fuel come out the same on both fuel lines? Sorry if I'm way off base here, just maybe something to check. And please let us know when you figure it out, may help someone else here! One more thing, Can this particular petcock be taken apart(i.e. cleaning) and then be put back together wrong?

Post edited by: twinkyrider, at: 2007/10/26 12:33

78 kz1000A
Fond du Lac,WI

More
26 Oct 2007 12:31 #178266 by Kersten
twinkyrider wrote:

Just my .02... are you sure enough fuel is flowing to the 1 and 2 carbs? Is the petcock partially plugged and just trickling a scant amount of fuel. Sounds like there's just enough fuel for idle but then leans way out above that(hence popping and backfiring) like the fuel isn't flowing fast enough above idle (incomplete burning due to insufficient fuel). If you pull the fuel lines off the carbs and open the petcock does fuel come out the same on both fuel lines? Sorry if I'm way off base here, just maybe something to check. And please let us know when you figure it out, may help someone else here! One more thing, Can this particular petcock be taken apart(i.e. cleaning) and then be put back together wrong?<br><br>Post edited by: twinkyrider, at: 2007/10/26 12:33

I had this very same epiphany at work today. I have swapped the carbs around. the plugs around, the wires around and even the coils around, and it only affects 1 and 2. The common denominator is the damn petcock! I will tinker with it after my afternoon nap and repost later.