Cool running cylinders

More
28 Oct 2007 11:15 #178528 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Cool running cylinders
Kersten wrote:

twinkyrider wrote:

Just my .02... are you sure enough fuel is flowing to the 1 and 2 carbs? Is the petcock partially plugged and just trickling a scant amount of fuel. Sounds like there's just enough fuel for idle but then leans way out above that(hence popping and backfiring) like the fuel isn't flowing fast enough above idle (incomplete burning due to insufficient fuel). If you pull the fuel lines off the carbs and open the petcock does fuel come out the same on both fuel lines? Sorry if I'm way off base here, just maybe something to check. And please let us know when you figure it out, may help someone else here! One more thing, Can this particular petcock be taken apart(i.e. cleaning) and then be put back together wrong?<br><br>Post edited by: twinkyrider, at: 2007/10/26 12:33

I had this very same epiphany at work today. I have swapped the carbs around. the plugs around, the wires around and even the coils around, and it only affects 1 and 2. The common denominator is the damn petcock! I will tinker with it after my afternoon nap and repost later.

cleaning the petcock did this for me.
before:

after:

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.