Cool running cylinders

More
15 Oct 2007 14:40 #176278 by Kersten
Cool running cylinders was created by Kersten
The bike: 1976 KZ900a
The problem: Numbers one and two cylinders are running alot cooler than 3 and 4. After a few miles they will start loading up and backfiring.
I though it would be an ignition problem but after several days, $300.00, and alot of grief, that is not the case.
The carbs are clean and rebuilt, so this leaves what?
The valve clearances?
I have no idea where to go from here.
Biketoberfest starts friday and I'm stressing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2007 14:45 #176281 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Cool running cylinders
have you run a compression check

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
15 Oct 2007 17:11 #176305 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Cool running cylinders
Cool running cylinders are often missing cylinders. If the plugs are carboned up they will not self clean, unless you're willing to go for a hundred miler with a crappy running bike. Sounds like you have a fuel drainage problem. At least that's what I can think of as common to cyl's 1 & 2.

How about this: Turn off the fuel. Remove the fuel line to the carbs. Is the petcock leaking?

Clean the plugs. Even, leave the plugs out for an hour or two. Now put in the plugs and go for a ride. About a half a mile from home shut off the fuel tap. When you get home put your bike on the center stand till your next ride.

If this procedure helps or eliminates the problem you need to go back into the carbs and pay particular attention to the float needle valves.

What I've learned is that enough residual fuel can load up in the intake tracts to foul a plug even though you may have corrected the problem.

Hey You said 1&2.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
16 Oct 2007 06:06 #176385 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Cool running cylinders
If the spark plugs don't fire the as in the combustion chambers, the cylinder will be cool. FIRST thing to do is check compression in all four cylinders. Do this with the throttle held open. Once you know if you have compression, you can move on. At this point, you need to have gas and spark and the state of tune must be correct. Troubleshoot the issue logically and it isn't hard to find a problem. First step is compression. If you have low or no compression, there is no point in looking for a problem in the carburetors or ignition and doing things in the proper sequence will also save you a lot of money. When you find the compression readings for all cylinders, we will know how to progress with tracking down the problem.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
16 Oct 2007 10:07 #176439 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic Cool running cylinders
Compression first, yes. When you're moving to the next thought, have the carbs been synced since they were rebuilt and reinstalled? (or am I way off base)

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

More
16 Oct 2007 11:06 #176456 by wiredgeorge
Whether the carbs are in sync or not will not affect the cylinders firing. Off base a little...

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
16 Oct 2007 11:47 #176476 by Kersten
Replied by Kersten on topic Cool running cylinders
No the carbs were not synch'd since the rebuild.
I'll be doing a compression check shortly and will report back. My buddy seems to think it might be the valve lash/shims so I'll be popping the cover too.
Anything in particular I should be looking for?

Added:
#1 115 psi
#2 125 psi
#3 115 psi
#4 130 psi

Post edited by: Kersten, at: 2007/10/16 15:22

More
16 Oct 2007 16:09 #176517 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic Cool running cylinders
Kersten wrote:

No the carbs were not synch'd since the rebuild.
I'll be doing a compression check shortly and will report back. My buddy seems to think it might be the valve lash/shims so I'll be popping the cover too.
Anything in particular I should be looking for?

Added:
#1 115 psi
#2 125 psi
#3 115 psi
#4 130 psi<br><br>Post edited by: Kersten, at: 2007/10/16 15:22

Wow! Are they really that close/consistent?
I guess I might fall short on my expections from these old engines, but it seems like you do not have much of a compression issue. Did you do the test with engine hot, or at least warm, with all the plugs out and the throttle open?

More
16 Oct 2007 16:48 #176534 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Cool running cylinders
Actually, those numbers are not all that great, there should be no more than a 10% difference between the lowest and the highest, and the difference is larger than 10% in this case.

In an engine in good condition, I expect to see numbers with no more than 5 psi difference, and less is better.

A valve adjustment might even those out.

KD9JUR

More
17 Oct 2007 07:12 #176669 by wiredgeorge
The consistency will have a lot to do with the cylinder head... older heads that just get cleaned up and the valves lapped often don't yield quite as consistent numbers as those with new guides and a valve job but that extra work comes at a pretty steep cost. My 79 shafty has compression from 140-150 psi across the board and the numbers listed were on the low side, meaning the engine will need to be freshened eventually but are not too bad.

The NEXT step is to check valve clearances; see the VALVE CLEARANCES tech article on my website under "wg's Tech Stuff Index". It might be useful.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
17 Oct 2007 08:17 #176683 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cool running cylinders
Seems to me one of the most commonly neglected maintenance items is checking and adjusting valve clearances.

It's important to understand why merely checking the compression alone is not enough.

Am thinking the vast majority of compression checks are performed with a cold engine or at least on an engine well below operating temperature. Acceptable cold compression figures do not necessarily reflect the figures at operating temperature. Because it is entirely possible for acceptable cold compression figures to become unacceptable as the engine reaches operating temperature.

An insufficient valve clearance (gap) may allow the valve closing just enough in a cold engine to permit an acceptable compression reading when cold. But valve clearances lessen as the engine warms (due to expansion of metal parts). So a too small gap when cold readily becomes a no-gap at operating temperature, and actually prevents the valve from seating (closing). Lack of fully seating (leaking valve) results in loss of compression (and eventually burning the valve). This is why the specified gap clearances are supposed to be measured on a cold engine (preferably after sitting overnight).

It's easy to access the gaps for measurements. Just remove the fuel tank, plug wires, and valve cover. When checking the gaps, remember to note and save the numbers for future reference. Often the same valve cover gasket may be used again, unless it needs replacing anyhow because of leakage.

My 2 cents for the one person out there who might not already know this. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Oct 2007 13:12 #176731 by Kersten
Replied by Kersten on topic Cool running cylinders
Ok
vales are all in spec! 31 years old and still perfect, amazing.
Compression is good, valves are in spec, ignition is good----back to the carbs I guess.
The bike idles fine, right at 900 rpm, but then the 1 and 2 start backfiring pretty badly, but they are set up the same way as 3 and 4, airscrew, jet and needle settings, etc.