[CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
15 Oct 2007 17:23 #176310 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
"...as I said, the pins went to the right."

We are talking about cam chains right?

Most good chain tools have smaller lands which are used to center up the side plates. I bet a bicycle chain tool will do the trick.

KZCSI

PS. I didn't take the time to see where you're from. But I can assure you of one thing: We're having a WAY better conversation in English that we'd be having in your native language.

You got it going on!

Bill

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/10/15 20:28

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2007 06:02 #176382 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
If the link pivots freely, move the link to someplace with a solid backing and put the link up next to the solid backing and put a punch on the pin ends and deform it by whacking the punch with a hammer. This is call "staking" and the master link plate won't fall off... LOOK AT THE OTHER LINKS... there isn't much of a stake; just a little bit but that is what holds on the other link plates... each pin is staked by a machine. Doesn't take all that much. DO NOT RUN BIKE WITHOUT STAKING THE PINS!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
16 Oct 2007 10:08 #176441 by Conti
Replied by Conti on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
Ouch !!!

Frankly, I would have preferred you tell me it's ok like that. I'll work on it again since you think I can't leave it as is.

I didn't assume that would be a so difficult task ! I tried several tries.

- 1st try : the plate was really hard to press onto the pins. I didn't use a pipe grip, so I cancelled the work till I ask you how to press the plate
- 2nd try : when pressing the plate with a pipe grip, the pins (which were attached to the right side-plate) moved to the right while they should have stayed where they were ! I used a chain tool to push the pins back to the left. And then... the link didn't pivot anymore.
- 3rd try : I removed the link and pressed the plate. One more time, the pins go to the right. I don't try to push them back to the left, since I want the link to continue to pivot.

I just come back from the best Kawasaki workshop in Paris. I talked to the mecanics and he explained me the method he uses for such camchains :
- he pushes the pins half out. He doesn't push them entirely. He uses a classic chain tool, similar the one I use (picture above). It's an Honda tool, but it's not made for that precise kind of camchains
- he removes a side plate, he opens the chain
- when it's time to close the chain, he puts the sideplate back and presses it with a pipe grip
- and then -THE TRICK- : he put a very small plain washer on the spare side plate (the one he wants to put on the chain). The small plain washer must be put around the pin, to avoid pushing it to the right !!!

Moreover, if I (finally) manage to get the pins to stay centered and the plate in place, how will I rivet the pins ? There's REALLY REALLY hard. Using an hammer would probably "freeze" the link.

Now, I have to find other links to try again. That really sucks, because my project will have to wait 2 more weeks. I don't know where to order them where I live (Paris). Last time, I ordered them from Z1Enterprises.

@wiredgeorge : I'll "stake" the pins as you recommend. However, the pins are really small. I fear damaging the link. I really want the link to pivot freely, of course.

More
16 Oct 2007 11:05 #176454 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
If the cylinder head is on the bike, it becomes a challenge to stake the pins as there isn't any room to move the chain near something solid on the bike... it is easiest done if you have both the head and cylinder off the bike, then you can drag the chain over to the left rear motor mount bolt. Hold the chain up against that bolt and use a punch with a small flat end to stake the pins. If you look at the OTHER pins on the chain you will get a sense of how much you need to deform the pins... not much at all. If the block and cylinder are still on the bike, have a friend hold a solid piece of metal behind the chain to give you a solid backstop for the staking... Really just a little tapping with the punch/hammer and you will have the pins staked. As far as putting the removable plate on, I use use a pair of pliers and squeeze it on.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
16 Oct 2007 11:14 #176460 by steell
Replied by steell on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
Klasmo in Germany ought to either have the master link or be able to get it. And it's a lot closer.

I'm reasonably certain that places in the UK can get it also, you might ask at 750turbo.com, most of those guys are UK based (but at least one is in France).

KD9JUR

More
16 Oct 2007 13:18 #176493 by Conti
Replied by Conti on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
While looking for more information about camchains on the internet, I found a trick which helps to avoid binding the link.
It's recommended to insert a feeler gauge between the sideplate and the roller before pressing the sideplate.

More
16 Oct 2007 17:18 #176540 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
Conti wrote:

...- when it's time to close the chain, he puts the sideplate back and presses it with a pipe grip
- and then -THE TRICK- : he put a very small plain washer on the spare side plate (the one he wants to put on the chain). The small plain washer must be put around the pin, to avoid pushing it to the right...

He is using washers as a "ram" instead of my tiny socket idea. You may need to use more than one washer stacked on top of each other in order to fully seat the side plate against the rollers.