[CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !

More
04 Sep 2007 13:00 #168491 by Conti
[CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it ! was created by Conti
Hello,

I'm having some trouble to put a new camchain into my KZ1000ST engine.

I bought a chain (EK 219H x 124), and opened it since I planned to rivet after having installed it in the engine.

However, I can't rivet properly that damn chain.

Here's a picture :

Of course, I removed the 2 plates installed on the chain. I then inserted the piece which one can see on the top of the picture. And then, I tried to install the plate (bottom right).

The sideplate (which is an EK) can't even be installed on the rivets. I tried to use this tool :

However, I can't press the sideplate enough into the link.

What could I do ? Any advice ?

I didn't installed an "non-opened" chain, because it's an ST : shaft-drive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2007 15:36 #168525 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
The chain has to have a roller (male) end
showing on both ends.Then the rivet link
goes through both rollers(males) and then
the cover plate goes on,then you stake the rivet.

More
04 Sep 2007 16:02 #168530 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
tjettim wrote:

The chain has to have a roller (male) end
showing on both ends.Then the rivet link
goes through both rollers(males) and then
the cover plate goes on,then you stake the rivet.

Yeah, both ends of the chain need the piece that I tried to put in the rectangle on the ends for the master link to fit.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
Attachments:

More
04 Sep 2007 17:23 #168560 by steell
Replied by steell on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
No reply since I went back and re read the original post :(

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/09/04 20:25

KD9JUR

More
04 Sep 2007 22:46 #168616 by Conti
Replied by Conti on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
I did removed the rivet and the 2 sideplates which one can see still installed on the left part of the chain.
I took the picture before removing those parts.

The problem is that I can't insert the spare (new) sideplate onto the spare link, shown on the picture.

More
05 Sep 2007 05:47 #168643 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
Conti, I have a rivet tool and have installed master link type chains. As far as I can recall, the tool is for removing/breaking an old chain. Once you have the old chain broken, you pull the new chain through. As I recall, the side plate is a very tight fit and must be pressed on with pliers and not the chain breaking tool. If you can get someone to hold something solid behind the plate, as I recall, you can get it started and then drive the plate onto the link using a punch and then stake the ends of the links with the friend still holding the backing plate... if you have the cylinder head and block off, it is far easier as you can pull the chain over to the side of the bike and stake it using the rear motor mount as a backing surface.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Sep 2007 06:05 #168649 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
My 630 rear chain was the same way.I cleaned the
plate and super glued two old plates to the outside
of the press on plate.I then used a large c-clamp
to press the pins through the plate.Then pryed off
the glued on plates and then staked the rivet heads.

More
05 Sep 2007 06:17 #168654 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
installed same chain on my bike...the new link is a bitch to get on but it will go..i tapped on the plate with a screwdriver till it slid on enuff..then peened the rivets with a piece of steel and a ballpeen hammer..have abused it since with no problems..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
15 Oct 2007 12:43 #176271 by Conti
Replied by Conti on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
Here are some news. I used C-pliers to press the plate onto the 2 pins. That wasn't easy at all. At first, I pressed too much, and the link didn't move anymore. So I removed it, and tried with another link I had.
I pressed the plate onto a new link, and then the pins moved the other side. Look at this, I hope it's clearer like that (my English sucks) :

The link moves freely. The plate doesn't move : it is strongly attached to the links.

However, I'm a bit worried. I wasn't able to rivet the 2 pins. There's not enough room to do that (on the left). Moreover, as I said, the pins went to the right.

Do you think it's ok ? Of course, I don't ask for a definite reply. I just would like your opinion. If you say it's ok and it breaks, well, that's life. ;)

I could use the C-pliers to try to put the links back to the middle. However, I'm almost sure if I do it, the link won't move freely, and I think that wouldn't be good at all...

More
15 Oct 2007 15:33 #176287 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
I would NOT run it if the master link cannot be riveted. If it comes apart it will make a mess out of the engine, and if you're in the middle of a high speed turn, it may make a mess out of you. Why not just buy another master link and start over? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Oct 2007 16:00 #176296 by steell
Replied by steell on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
650ed wrote:

I would NOT run it if the master link cannot be riveted. If it comes apart it will make a mess out of the engine, and if you're in the middle of a high speed turn, it may make a mess out of you. Why not just buy another master link and start over? Ed

Totally correct, don't even think about riding that bike until you fix it right.

The ER will be waiting :woohoo:

KD9JUR

More
15 Oct 2007 16:26 #176298 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic [CAMCHAIN] It can't rivet it !
650ed wrote:

I would NOT run it if the master link cannot be riveted. If it comes apart it will make a mess out of the engine,...

I agree with everyone else. You are obviously _NOT_ spending your savings on cat food, so you can spring for a new master link. You sound like a pretty sharp guy to me. If you closely study the master you installed, and can see _ANY_ variation in the spacing or appearance of it, compared to the rest of the chain, then it ain't safe to run.
The only thing I might suggest different from what I have read here, is to use a tiny socket as a "ram" and pliers or vise grips to press the side plate into proper position. First, get it started on both ends of the master, then press one side then the other, a little at a time, till fully seated. Stake it last. Does that make sense?

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/10/15 19:36

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/10/15 19:39