More power

More
12 Jul 2007 20:52 #156533 by ricerocket
Replied by ricerocket on topic More power
Well i did beat an r6 yamaha from a dead stop and rolling first gear.Now he did catch me at the end of fourth and kept going.But he was amazed.He races alot and the best he did was a 12.5 1/4.Stock except pipe.
Beleive it or not its true.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2007 21:01 #156534 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic More power
ricerocket wrote:

Well i did beat an r6 yamaha from a dead stop and rolling first gear.Now he did catch me at the end of fourth and kept going.But he was amazed.He races alot and the best he did was a 12.5 1/4.Stock except pipe.
Beleive it or not its true.

I wasn't doubting you. Up to a point I'd imagine you would take him as 600's especially an R6 need to wind up before they really get going.

My point was that no matter what you throw into yor engine, I'd think a midly tuned new 600 with lowered gearing would get you after 3rd or so. Asssuming squid on R6 knows how to ride.

That said my dad has an GL1800 glodwing and I've seen him hang with sportbikes, but my dad also hustled his goldwing through deals gap.

In the end technology marches on and two years old in sportbike terms is ancient.

More
12 Jul 2007 21:15 #156536 by Prune1
Replied by Prune1 on topic More power
i agree...my zx6r will pull my kz1045 outta the water any day of the week..with a pro rider that zx is supposed to run a 10.8 1/4 mile stock...it would be nice have balls big enough to run a 30yr gem flat out till it exploded tryin to hit 170..to keep up with some kid on a rocket...not to mention the brakes and handling on the new bikes

More
12 Jul 2007 22:52 #156542 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic More power
These crotch rockets are bullets on wheels. Tons of power, light, great brakes and you can throw them around better than you could an old Kz even if it didn't have the weight of an engine hanging inside the frame.....

However, take the badges off any of them, paint them the same color and one would be hard pressed to tell any of them apart from one another unless you know the intracasies of the different wheel and suspension options. In short, these bikes are cookie cutter racing machines in my opinion.

Give me an old Kz style any day of the week. Their classic lines, their undeniable heritage, their sound and of course the engine which is a work of art that is part of the design.

My advice is to find some decent used cylinders and head from a later model Kz or Gpz, build yourself a big inch elephant motor, strengthen the frame, put on a lighter swingarm, modern brakes, change the gearing and you will have a bike that will at least keep up with the middleweight sportbikes in a straight line.

If you scare them enough in a straight line squirt they might not want to see what you've got in the twisties. :)

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
12 Jul 2007 23:07 #156545 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic More power
you want to beat them?
pull up on the right side of them and hit their kill switch right before you take off.
apples and oranges my friend.
my stock 650 beat the hell out of my cousin's katana till we hit 3rd gear or 70 mph.
then he passed me like i was sitting still.
lighter,faster and more agile.
so now i got a 784 kit in the 650 and i know he can still take me.
784, andrews cams and 29's x-pipe and he still ownes me.
my stock 650 beats a bike from the 50's or 60's
as we advance, bikes will get more powerfull and make the classics seem slow.
just enjoy your ride and stop trying to win top end on the rockets.
or do like collin did and scare the hell out of them from one stoplight to the other.
as much as i got in my bike, even i would not try to holeshot reborn's bike.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
13 Jul 2007 06:28 #156573 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic More power
Your old air cooled engine wont touch a new water cooled engine. More power you have the more heat it will build. What is the current condition of your engine now? Specs like cams, compression, ignition.

More
13 Jul 2007 06:28 #156574 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic More power
Your old air cooled engine wont touch a new water cooled engine. More power you have the more heat it will build. What is the current condition of your engine now? Specs like cams, compression, ignition.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
13 Jul 2007 07:07 #156591 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic More power
It seems to me that all the newer bikes can turn 2x the rpm of these old kaws, why is that?

Is the stroke the same?

How about cranks? How much lighter are they?

What about the bearings? Is there any new(better) bearings that could be used kz applications?

I am quite possibly wrong but isn't the reason they can blow by a kz in the top end is because they are able to turn much higher r's (and therefor make more ponies?)

I remember my old man telling me that all his engine needed was a billet crank then he would be lookin at 20,000 RPM (this is with the tranny and all other rotating mass that can be removed, lightened, or made gone done so). This motor was put on a dyno and made 200hp after its last build (it still has 0 miles on it after that build, the track he raced at closed...he raced mini-sprints on 1/4 mile dirt tracks....)

New bearings, lightened crank, less weight (weight eats HP), could this move the red line into a more modern era?

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
13 Jul 2007 07:39 #156602 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic More power
Buy the 2002 Bandit 1200S I have for sale in the Classified Section and while you won't be able to beat a modern 600, at least you will not be as embarrassed by the results bwhahaha Honestly, the only problem a 600 rocket will have with a KZ is getting off the line. They are hard to launch but if you find a rider who can launch one, there really ins't much of a contest even if the KZ has been hot-rodded...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Jul 2007 08:46 #156616 by Muddy
Replied by Muddy on topic More power
hardr0ck68 wrote:

It seems to me that all the newer bikes can turn 2x the rpm of these old kaws, why is that?

Is the stroke the same?

How about cranks? How much lighter are they?

What about the bearings? Is there any new(better) bearings that could be used kz applications?

I am quite possibly wrong but isn't the reason they can blow by a kz in the top end is because they are able to turn much higher r's (and therefor make more ponies?)

I remember my old man telling me that all his engine needed was a billet crank then he would be lookin at 20,000 RPM (this is with the tranny and all other rotating mass that can be removed, lightened, or made gone done so). This motor was put on a dyno and made 200hp after its last build (it still has 0 miles on it after that build, the track he raced at closed...he raced mini-sprints on 1/4 mile dirt tracks....)

New bearings, lightened crank, less weight (weight eats HP), could this move the red line into a more modern era?

Some of the new horsepower numbers are a bit inflated, but they are still much higher than the older kz engines. The internals are lighter, the valves are titanium, the cylinder walls have ports and cut outs to reduce oil resistance, etc, etc.

The newer sportbikes also spin up to that RPM much quicker due to the lighter internals. Its silly the difference in how much quicker my TLR revs compared to my KZ. And the TLR is about 105 in sportbike years.

I think you'd be better off trying to find a way to put a gixxer 1000 engine in a kz than trying to redo the stock internals of the kz.

More
13 Jul 2007 14:16 #156695 by ricerocket
Replied by ricerocket on topic More power
Well from knowledge.A good freind of mine drags a gxsr1000.After alot of money and time he just broke into the high nines.He weighs 150 so after speaking to him he even said the numbers are inflatedalot to sell the bikes.Also he mentioned a fellow he races against has a hopped up kz which runs pump gas and is in the 10s just behind him.But he mentioned the guy had his stock frame replicated by a buddy of his in he thinks aluminium.So the weight savings right there is unreal.But kzs are like muscle cars the new stuff is faster but they stare at your bike and look at theres.

More
13 Jul 2007 16:04 #156703 by RollingStock
Replied by RollingStock on topic More power
not to put ur friend to shame. but the new gsxr1000's run 9's out the boxs.. i know vic from exoticycle was running low 9's with just a full exhaust and airfilter on stock wheel base

none the less i know a guy with a dragbike turbo gpz and well alot of the street 1000's well eat him up...

iv seen alot of old school bikes run at the track(wheelie bar bikes) and iv seen/rode alot of newer bikes(busa's, 600s,750s,1000s) turbo, sparyed or both.. i really dont think ur seeing how much money its takes..

i with the guy that said swap over the gsxr1000 motor...

73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project