clutch not disengaging?

More
20 Jun 2007 18:24 #151278 by brich
clutch not disengaging? was created by brich
I finally started my bike today after a complete rebuild. It started .. that was the good part. Bad part ...

I put it in gear getting ready for my first spin and it won't go when i let the cluthc lever out. It has a new APE clutch and springs in it. That was installed at the shop so I am pretty confident in their work. However, I did install the sprocket cover and cluth linkage .. not so sure about my work.

Could I have installed that gear wrong on the sproket cover? I admit to being semi-confused when installing it. I adjusted the screw and locknut according to the manual .. turn screw till it starts getting tight, then back out half turn, lock nut. I tried it a little more extreme on the backing out ('bout a turn) then it started slipping with lever pulled in.

The clutch lever is also kind of hard to pull if that helps. I thought it was possibly because it was a "heavy duty" clutch.

Any ideas?

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2007 18:35 #151287 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic clutch not disengaging?
what bike are you working on?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
20 Jun 2007 18:36 #151288 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic clutch not disengaging?
Have you checked your clutch cable routing? Is there the proper amount of slack in the clutch cable?

later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
20 Jun 2007 18:42 #151290 by brich
Replied by brich on topic clutch not disengaging?
sorry .. 75 z1 parted together from a bunch of bikes and new parts.

I definitely got a decent bit of slack in the pull so I don't think it is that.

As far as the cable routing .. i admit .. i had no idea how to route it. I took this bike apart 5 years ago when i got it and just built it now. I have low bars on it so all my cables are too long and I don't really know the best way to route them. I was messing with that clutch cable for hours trying to get it to not rub on the header. Will it help if i get some photos of how it is routed? I will go snap some right now ..

BTW .. your bike is friggen sweet man!! Great job! I hope to make mine similar once i get it running.

- brian

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
20 Jun 2007 19:08 #151303 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic clutch not disengaging?
Yes Brian...pics might help Bud.
I'm thinking that it's the clutch worm-gear.If You didn't have that in the proper position when You re-installed the cover,(turned out too far counter clockwise) then that could be the result.
I'm not sure if it's even possible to have it turned out that far without the gear actually falling out of it housing.
Any pics of the inside of the cover,to see how You have the cable attached to the worm-gear?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Jun 2007 19:12 #151304 by brich
Ok .. here are some shots of how i routed it .. it even looks wrong to me .. just not sure the right way with this too long cable!

Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2007 19:13 #151305 by brich

Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2007 19:13 #151307 by brich
# 3

Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2007 19:14 #151309 by brich
# 4

Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2007 19:14 #151311 by brich
# 5

Attachments:

More
20 Jun 2007 19:16 #151313 by brich
I'll have to take the sproket cover off tomorrow and snap some pics of it. I got that itch in the back of my brain telling me your probably right .. i did have a few issues with that putting it on .. ah hell .. i'll go take it off right now so i can sleep properly .. brb ..

More
20 Jun 2007 19:21 #151316 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic clutch not disengaging?
Atta Boyyyyy!:laugh:
I know what You're sayin,Bud...I wouldn't be able to sleep either!

lets see now...remove the shifter-lever,the footpeg,the starter-cover,and then the 4 bolts holding the cover on...You should be posting pics in about 10-15 minutes,lol:laugh: ...:whistle: ...

1977 KZ1000 A-1