holy moly, my cams!

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2007 12:40 #114801 by cottoncandyninja
holy moly, my cams! was created by cottoncandyninja
it just dawned on me after several days have passed on an ebay auction that im currenly winning that: what if the camshafts im trying to win dont even fit in the head im trying to put them in? or is that just plain crazy due to the fact theyre interchangable. i really need some help on this one...as it looks like i might end up winning those damn cams after all. im freaking out, really, i am.

i now have (thanks again, steve) an 83-85 gpz 750 head in my posession and im bidding on 80-82 kz 750 cams (andrews cams - claim to be drag racing cams, but who drag raced 750s back then?)

im bidding on these cams with the hope that i dont have to get an electronic tach so i can run the cams (if i were to get some 83-85 gpz 750 cams, then this would have to be done) with my regular tach thats already on the bike.

please help! i think i might be in over my head. im not sure. at the most ill have an extra head i guess.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2007 13:41 #114808 by steell
Replied by steell on topic holy moly, my cams!
I looked at those cams recently, and I'm pretty sure they have a tach drive gear on them, take another look at the pic in the auction and see.
Yeah, they dragged 750's back then, and still do for that matter :)

Keep in mind that the GPz750 head does not have a provision for a tach drive, I don't remember if the boss is cast in though.

If they are 650 or 750 cams, then they will fit any air cooled 650 or 750 four Kawasaki motor.

KD9JUR

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2007 13:51 #114809 by cottoncandyninja
Replied by cottoncandyninja on topic holy moly, my cams!
well forget this dilemma everyone, the auction ended. 227 and some change for some 750 drag racing cams from a guy that wasnt even in the bidding race and then swooped out of nowhere and grabbed them. guess thats how it goes...and so my journey for camshafts continues. dang maybe i should just scrap the whole balls to the wall idea. nah.:evil:

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
23 Feb 2007 15:19 #114820 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic holy moly, my cams!
I'm diggin' the avatar...

The GPz750 head doesn't have a hole for the tach drive cable. Other than that, it should be the same as a KZ750 head. You should just pick up a set of GPz750 cams, they're lumpier than KZ750 cams.

The Spectre 750 had an electric tach, and it'll bolt up just like your stock tach. (That's the tach I'm going to use when I drop in these GPz cams.)

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
23 Feb 2007 18:21 #114841 by steell
Replied by steell on topic holy moly, my cams!
Compare a GPz head and a KZ head side by side and you can see other differences. According to the magazine articles of the time, the GPz750 heads were hand ported at the factory, and you can see by looking that there has been some work done.
Not that it matters, but the fins have a different shape also.

KD9JUR

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
23 Feb 2007 19:42 #114852 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic holy moly, my cams!
Could you post up some photos?

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
23 Feb 2007 19:42 #114853 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic holy moly, my cams!
guitargeek wrote:

You should just pick up a set of GPz750 cams, they're lumpier than KZ750 cams.

stock for stock yes, but not gpz compared to andrews drag cams. if you want the best, get web or megacycle cams "made" out of your stockers. APE can do this. get springs to match if you do if your stockers have the worm gear for the tach so will the reworked cams you get "made". you just need a head that works with them, I'm guessing the gpz head could be modified for the tach cable by a skilled guy or machine shop

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2007 20:38 #114863 by cottoncandyninja
here some pics although theyre from my webcam so i dont know if theyre going to do any good.

Post edited by: cottoncandyninja, at: 2007/02/23 23:41
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Feb 2007 20:42 #114864 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic holy moly, my cams!
$227.00 sounds like a lot of money for a set of used cams to me;)

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2007 20:46 #114865 by cottoncandyninja
crap

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2007 20:47 #114867 by cottoncandyninja
i just cant figure out a way to post my pics. ill have to dink around with some file editing thing so i can post in jpeg format

More
23 Feb 2007 21:20 #114875 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic holy moly, my cams!
cottoncandyninja wrote:

i just cant figure out a way to post my pics. ill have to dink around with some file editing thing so i can post in jpeg format

copy n paste them into the most basic photo editing program out there.... Microsoft Paint, then "save as", and pick jpeg;)

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH