oil leak

More
06 Feb 2007 06:26 #110526 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic oil leak
Do yo want to try retorquing that area to get more crush on the area?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2007 06:54 #110538 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic oil leak
think i know exactly what he is referring to..i think it is actually a steel plug right above the head nut...should be four of these...2 on each side...mine sprung a leak in the same place...can't weld it because of the two different metal....i used something called inferno metal repair i bought from a napa store..doesn't look real pretty but it works...hope this helps..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
07 Feb 2007 04:44 #110758 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic oil leak
that is what is leaking!!!!,

my camera has been out on loan so I am not going otbe able to get pics

if they are steel plugs then I should be able to repace them, trick is what size are they supposed to be

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 Feb 2007 07:02 #110777 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic oil leak
On the cylinder head there are bronze crush washers that go over the outer cylinder studs that sit in the cam oil journals. Oil comes up those journals and keeps you cams wetted with oil. The crush washers are supposed to seal the oil flow below the stud nuts. These are not plugs. To get them to seal, either replace the washers with new ones if you can find them... they MUST crush so they will have to be either brass or bronze or copper or something similar OR you can re-anneal them. This has been discussed on this forum many times... to re-anneal puts back some of the crushability or springiness to the washers. If you don't they will will likely leak. To anneal a bronze washer, heat it with a butane torch till it is glowing red-hot. Then drop it in some cold water. I have also put some silicon around the edge of the washer trying not to get it in the oil journal area to add to the seal.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
07 Feb 2007 14:33 #110842 by BSKZ650
think it is actually a steel plug right above the head nut...should be four of these...2 on each side...

it is the steel plugs that are leaking, I thought at first it was the crush washer, but it is not, I have cleaned the area off many times until I can say it is the plug, now just got to figure out how to fix it

76 kz900, just waiting

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2007 14:36 #110845 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic oil leak
oil gallery plugsB)

More
08 Feb 2007 07:00 #110949 by wiredgeorge
Somebody posted a picture of a cylinder head and as can be observed by looking at the picture there are no caps/plugs, etc over the cylinder head nuts.

I suggest you take a picture of where the leak is.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Feb 2007 07:21 #110956 by 900cows
Replied by 900cows on topic oil leak
Wiredgeorge,I think BSK is talking about the plugs on each side of the head were they drilled for oil supply channels to the top end.The Germans like running extra supply line to these ports for added oil to the top end.

More
08 Feb 2007 14:10 #111029 by BSKZ650
my camera is in england right now, so I will not be able to post pics for a while, but that is the plugs that are leaking, still trying to figure a good way to fix them

76 kz900, just waiting

More
09 Feb 2007 07:16 #111140 by wiredgeorge
Sorry for the confusion. The 903/1015 engine does not have these plugs. If they are metal, they must be either screwed into place or pressed. If screwed in, they will have a head cut with slot or something similar. If not, they are pressed into place. If pressed in, can they be drilled and new plugs installed using JB Weld?

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Feb 2007 07:24 #111144 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic oil leak
wiredgeorge wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. The 903/1015 engine does not have these plugs. If they are metal, they must be either screwed into place or pressed. If screwed in, they will have a head cut with slot or something similar. If not, they are pressed into place. If pressed in, can they be drilled and new plugs installed using JB Weld?

hes talking about the oil gallery plugs that are pressed into outside towards bottem of cam bucket shafts i guess you would call them,and yes the the 903-1015 do have them.on my 1st turbo bike i got bored and drilled them out and put brass plugs in place of them,i think its the same place the guys are talking about running external oil lines to top end through.

More
09 Feb 2007 07:29 #111146 by wiredgeorge
"cam bucket shafts"? point these out in the pic that was posted of the cylinder head please.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!