Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I need serious help! 27 Oct 2023 05:30 #891005

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 260
z1parts.net/z1-gas-tank-cap-and-emblems-set-140mm/

You would also need the Z1 fuel cap without the lock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I need serious help! 27 Oct 2023 11:05 #891019

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 313
I would like to have a Z1parts body set with the big gas tank but painted in the same blue/red graphics as my LTD.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more
Attachments:

Last edit: by Kelly E.

I need serious help! 04 Jan 2024 08:30 #893552

• TheTrout
  • TheTrout's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55
New year, new idea!  I have big plans to go to Sturgis this year!  The lodging is already paid for so this is not me saying I am going, I AM GOING!  I would like to ride the whole fuckin way there, but I usually have to gas up every 90 miles.  I can go further, but I have run out of gas and pushed that bitch twice in my life so I know for a fact at 110 miles the tank is dry.  The guys I am riding with are saying gas stops every 180 miles.  I need to get more mileage.  I thought about a bigger tank, but I like how my bike looks.  So my new BIG idea is to add an auxiliary tank.  The concept is to use a 2 gallon spun aluminum tank for the auxiliary tank.  Mounted where and and how is not important yet.  The petcock on the current tank has 2 outputs each output feeds 2 carbs.  The first thought I had was to feed all four carbs off one of the petcock outputs and the plumb the aux tank to the other output.  Could 4 carbs be fed from one petcock output and not end up being starved of fuel?  The second idea is to plumb the aux tank to a tee and from the 2 lines out of the tee to a tee on each output of the petcock.  If I could add 2 gallons more capacity I would be able to ride with the big hawgs.  Once I get to Strugis I would remove the aux tank and lines putting the bike back the way it was.  Still not sure how I would mount the aux tank, but maybe, somehow off the back grab bar or put the tank in a bag strapped to the back of the seat (not my preferred idea).  Has anyone ever done something like that.  Any other bright ideas that would help me get in another 100 miles of riding?  This is an example of the kind of tank I would get:
Amazon.com: JSD AUTO PARTS New 2 Gallons Aluminum Gas Tank / Fuel Tank 8 x10 Center Fill Spun 3/8 NPT Outlet : Automotive

1978 KZ1000B2

I need serious help! 04 Jan 2024 10:33 #893563

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2643
I was toying with the idea of a bladder in my top box, a small valve in line connecting to one of the fuel lines going to the carbs. Being the two lines are connected in the petcock the fuel would flow through it and run the bike while filling the tank at the same time. I'd lose my top box for storage but I have my side boxes and a carry on bag would do for clothing and such. I also have soft bags that could be strapped the the back seat for extra space. In your case a luggage rack could do the trick. 
Steve

Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest.

I need serious help! 05 Jan 2024 07:34 #893622

• TheTrout
  • User

I was toying with the idea of a bladder in my top box, a small valve in line connecting to one of the fuel lines going to the carbs. Being the two lines are connected in the petcock the fuel would flow through it and run the bike while filling the tank at the same time. I'd lose my top box for storage but I have my side boxes and a carry on bag would do for clothing and such. I also have soft bags that could be strapped the the back seat for extra space. In your case a luggage rack could do the trick. 
Steve

Unfortunately, I don't have a rack or top box.  I will likely try to mount it on the grab bar (kz1000 LTD).  Although doing that means I need to make sure it does not rub the tail and ruin the paint.  I have already looked at mounting on the side towards the rear, but I do not think there is enough room and not anything to easily attach to.

1978 KZ1000B2

I need serious help! 05 Jan 2024 09:31 #893642

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 313
I know of a guy that used a spun aluminum tank in a round travel bag strapped to the back seat on his Magna. He was doing the Iron Butt and Magna's also have a small tank. Not sure how he plumbed it though.
He had it strapped down good because it didn't come off when he hit a deer.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more

I need serious help! 05 Jan 2024 10:52 #893650

• TheTrout
  • User
I was thinking more about what Steve said.  Anyone have a rear rack for a 78 kz1000 they would want to part with.  I can easily swap out the rack for the grab bar when I get to Sturgis, also taking off the aux tank and plumbing too.  Gotta look good cruising around Sturgis!
1978 KZ1000B2

I need serious help! 13 Jan 2024 04:26 #893935

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1041
I may have a rack.  Will check today.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

I need serious help! 26 Jan 2024 06:33 #894445

• TheTrout
  • User
I am still thinking about the ride to Sturgis.  If I ride the KZ the whole way there what kinds of things do I need to be on the lookout for?  I have an xring chain, do those need to be lubed at all?  My KZ has a pretty fresh motor and only has about 4,000 miles since the rebuild.  How often do you guys check valve clearances?  I will do an oil change and clean the air filter beforehand.  Planning on redoing brake lines and cleaning or maybe rebuilding master cylinders and calipers.  What else??
1978 KZ1000B2

I need serious help! 26 Jan 2024 07:09 #894450

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2089
I would do all the maintenance , especially anything that has not been done recently, especially valve lash check plus fluids and filters. It is best to do all maintenance by the book, or more often. How long has it been since the steering bearings were serviced? Be sure tires are in excellent shape. I never travel without a tire repair kit and a small rechargeable air pump. A spare clutch and throttle cable is also a good idea. 
With sealed chains, the primary function of the lube is to prevent rust. I use ACF50. A light application once a day while on the road will be plenty. 
The factory tool kit, or similar aftermarket, some paper shop towels, a couple of micro fiber towels and a small bottle of your favorite helmet shield cleaner will be  good to have along as well.
Some friends of mine who tour regularly pack some old ratty t-shirts for riding. At the end of the day, they toss the one they wore, then shower and put on clean clothes for whatever the evening brings. This reduces the laundry load and leaves room for all those souvenir shirts you will buy.

Also, good rain gear. Riding while soaking wet sucks, and can lead to hypothermia. Since you will be riding in summer, well ventilated riding gear is a must. Remember that any exposed skin will be burnt to a crisp by the time you get there.

I have probably forgotten an item or two, but I bet some other members will be along to add them.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

I need serious help! 26 Jan 2024 07:26 #894452

• TheTrout
  • User

I would do all the maintenance , especially anything that has not been done recently, especially valve lash check plus fluids and filters. It is best to do all maintenance by the book, or more often. How long has it been since the steering bearings were serviced? Be sure tires are in excellent shape. I never travel without a tire repair kit and a small rechargeable air pump. A spare clutch and throttle cable is also a good idea. 
With sealed chains, the primary function of the lube is to prevent rust. I use ACF50. A light application once a day while on the road will be plenty. 
The factory tool kit, or similar aftermarket, some paper shop towels, a couple of micro fiber towels and a small bottle of your favorite helmet shield cleaner will be  good to have along as well.
Some friends of mine who tour regularly pack some old ratty t-shirts for riding. At the end of the day, they toss the one they wore, then shower and put on clean clothes for whatever the evening brings. This reduces the laundry load and leaves room for all those souvenir shirts you will buy.

Also, good rain gear. Riding while soaking wet sucks, and can lead to hypothermia. Since you will be riding in summer, well ventilated riding gear is a must. Remember that any exposed skin will be burnt to a crisp by the time you get there.

I have probably forgotten an item or two, but I bet some other members will be along to add them.

Tire are practically new and only 3 years old.  I was planning on taking everything for a tire repair.  I don't think steering bearing have ever been serviced so I will add that to the list.  I can't find my clymer service manual.  Is there something I can download?

1978 KZ1000B2

I need serious help! 26 Jan 2024 07:30 #894453

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2089
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough