Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I want to indoctrinate my friends and family... 03 Sep 2021 05:21 #854764

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
My wife's first bike was a small Suzuki chopper with forward controls, she loved it but it was getting beat up running at highway speeds so we saw a Yamaha V-star 650 custom which also has forward controls , she loves this bike even more.
I have a hard time riding it because I feel much more in control with having my feet under me and being able to stand up over railroad tracks and dumps ect.. also having your feet out in front of you on a gravel road is very unnerving.
I would find a small beater bike that has standard foot pegs and good brakes, something that can fall over and not matter, then if that sparks them find a bigger bike.

My kids were into skate boards so I built them a simple fun box and I tried it out, the skate board shot out from under me and I landed on my hip, NEVER AGAIN!
Here Is our back yard a few years later.

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bluej58.

I want to indoctrinate my friends and family... 04 Sep 2021 06:54 #854796

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
My thoughts on the subject. 
Steve

I want to indoctrinate my friends and family... 08 Sep 2021 15:25 #855005

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
A couple of quick thoughts.....the only time I ever really got hurt, hurt was on a dirt bike, in the dirt.  They aren't as safe as one might like to think.  Young kids on a small bike is one thing, but bigger kids/adults is another.  I have never tried to force riding on anyone.  They HAVE to show me they are interested, not the other way around.  It's like getting a kid involved in sports, if they don't have some skin in the game they are just wasting time.  There is also a definite learning process involved when dealing with a new rider so develop a plan for it.  If at any time they seem afraid of the bike or don't want to ride it, get them off of it.  A new rider must have the desire to want to learn how to ride and not just screw around.  If there's any hesitation and lack of desire/interest from the newbie they will blame you if/when they get hurt.  They have to understand that if they don't follow your rules for riding it's all over.  

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

I want to indoctrinate my friends and family... 11 Sep 2021 05:12 #855122

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
Have you considered the MSF Basic Rider Course?  Only prerequisite skill is the prospective student must be able to ride (balance) a bicycle. Minimal gear is needed, as in a helmet, long sleeve jacket, pair of gloves.  MSF supplies the bikes, safe environment & qualified instructors.  At the completion of the class, the new rider will have been introduced to the basics of countersteering, braking, throttle control, traffic management & lane positioning etc.  Completing the class may establish level of interest or lack thereof in pursuing more seat time.  If interest is evident, the completion certificate is likely to be accepted in leu of a beginner permit, and might qualify the student for a discount on bike insurance.

When The Lovely Z1BEBE expressed an interest in learning to ride in the late 1980's, we decided to attend the MSF Basic course together. slmjim had been Riidin' for 18 or so years at the time, and was pleasantly surprised that he, too, learned new & useful things.  We recommend the MSF Basic course for anyone who is interested in learning how to ride.

www.msf-usa.org/brc.aspx

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

I want to indoctrinate my friends and family... 12 Sep 2021 06:43 #855151

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1953

A couple of quick thoughts.....the only time I ever really got hurt, hurt was on a dirt bike, in the dirt.  They aren't as safe as one might like to think.  Young kids on a small bike is one thing, but bigger kids/adults is another.  I have never tried to force riding on anyone.  They HAVE to show me they are interested, not the other way around.  It's like getting a kid involved in sports, if they don't have some skin in the game they are just wasting time.  There is also a definite learning process involved when dealing with a new rider so develop a plan for it.  If at any time they seem afraid of the bike or don't want to ride it, get them off of it.  A new rider must have the desire to want to learn how to ride and not just screw around.  If there's any hesitation and lack of desire/interest from the newbie they will blame you if/when they get hurt.  They have to understand that if they don't follow your rules for riding it's all over.  

Rick H.

Agreed Rick.
Skin in the game  is a  too true way to put it ..
Making  our motorcycle passion  available to others is a great way to contribute to the development of the  next generation of riders.
You open the door , but the potential rider must want to walk thru it .
I used to Road Capitan  for a local dealer and lead  group rides.  The biggest issue  that was repeated time and time again  were  ladies  
being forced to ride there own bikes instead of  enjoying riding from the  back seat. 
 NOW Before I am  attacked  as a  ( Blank , Blank , Blank ) Let me explain .
The facts were these ,    Guy starts out on a Full  Dresser HD, and the  wife / girlfriend   is enjoying the  whole motorcycle  life style from the passenger seat.
Guy  wants a sportier  sleeker  bike but it isnt good for two up riding .   Guy buys sportier bike and convinces  wife that she should ride next to him on the full dresser.( Or even a smaller bike  ).  They both attend riding events  and all starts out great.   
 Then  wife drops or crashes bike  . Usually  on rough road / off camber  ground  in parking lot / slow turn  having to manage  to much weight .  
Not that these  incidents cant be managed  thru training and experience , but the truth is I saw these exact events repeated   on a average   every third  group ride
 for years.
  Once wife dropped or crashed bike  the tears and yelling would start.......    He  made me  ride by myself !!!!!!!!     I was so happy on the back , but He had to 
have the hotrod bike for himself !!!!      So   draw your own conclusions  ....    Open the door , but dont force  someone to go thru it. 
  If they are interested   help them   along the path to  riding at a level they can enjoy.   A lot of us on KZRider   are life long riders with  tons of experience.
The passion started at a early age, ( 5hp Mini Bikes )  then  125cc  bikes  and in steps  until we  got to  full size bikes which were road worthy
   Start small and also take folks for rides. Answer their questions  and encourage  them , but dont force  it 
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

I want to indoctrinate my friends and family... 13 Sep 2021 07:05 #855207

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
My wife and I have been married since 88, she has always wanted to ride, back when we first were married she took the road course, sweated it out in a hot parking lot in full gear and passed, all she had to do was go into the DMV and she had a license, but then she got knocked up 
Years passed, we raised 3 kids and I decided to put the bike back on the road, 2 Winters later we started talking about getting her back on the road so she signed back up for the road course.
She got there extra early so she could get a short bike, a Rebel, and was sitting on the thing when some big fat biker talked her off of it so his big fat wife could ride it because that was what she was used to. The only bike left was a tall bike that my short wife had to be on her tippy toes for the whole time.
Well on the last day this bitchy drill instructor stepped in her way and she went down, that was it , an automatic fail. 
The woman told her that " some people just aren't meant to ride bikes " 
She came home dashed, so we found her a nice short Suzuki 250 that is very similar to a rebel and got her a learners permit at the DMV.   We would ride the country roads to a parking lot where she could practice figure 8's, stopping etc...It was going slow because ( I think that  instructor shook up her confidence  ) She couldn't do the speed limit.  Cars were passing us all the time, I was worried that she wasn't going to be able to ride on the Natchez Trace when we went on vacation.   I told her that and it really pissed her off !!!
Next thing I know, she's riding on my ass so I took it up to the speed limit and she is still on my ass so I went faster.   That was it, we did the Trace 
We have since rode some of the most iconic roads in this country and are hoping for Canada next year if we can get this crap behind us. 
I guess the take away is if you want to ride you should and don't let anyone talk you  out of something you are really passionate about.
She loves her bike!

The Trace in 2014   and yesterday at the Rock on her 650 

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

Last edit: by bluej58.

I want to indoctrinate my friends and family... 13 Sep 2021 07:46 #855210

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 370
Thanks for sharing. Women who ride their own bikes are cool. My wife won't get on the back of my FJR even with a backrest! 
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

• Page: