Can I simply RATTLE CAN my engine black?

More
24 Feb 2018 12:42 - 24 Feb 2018 12:43 #779281 by 650Dude
Im so sick of trying to polish these stupid fins. I DESPERATELY want to paint this engine fins black. I probably wont paint the engine cam covers black but can I just do this with a rattle can using high temp paint?

Here is my bike

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Feb 2018 12:43 by 650Dude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2018 12:57 #779286 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Can I simply RATTLE CAN my engine black?
The correct paint is Wurth satin or Simoniz/Sperex tough satin which looks very close to the original kawasaki engine black finish once cured.
Both are very similar to the old formula PJ1 .
You really need to strip and blast the motor to get a good key for the best job.
If you try to paint it in situ it will end up looking worse and the paint will soon flake.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
24 Feb 2018 13:12 - 24 Feb 2018 13:14 #779289 by 650Dude
Replied by 650Dude on topic Can I simply RATTLE CAN my engine black?

zed1015 wrote: The correct paint is Wurth satin or Simoniz/Sperex tough satin which looks very close to the original kawasaki engine black finish once cured.
Both are very similar to the old formula PJ1 .
You really need to strip and blast the motor to get a good key for the best job.
If you try to paint it in situ it will end up looking worse and the paint will soon flake.

Thanks for this. But I dont need it stock color, I just want it black. Im SICK of cleaning the oxidation off of those damn fins. I will rattle can it with Rustoleum High Temp paint while its on the bike.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 24 Feb 2018 13:14 by 650Dude.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
24 Feb 2018 15:14 #779293 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Can I simply RATTLE CAN my engine black?
I have had good luck painting assembled engines, by cleaning them REALLY well, then using metal etch to prep them before paint.

More
24 Feb 2018 15:25 #779294 by 650Dude

DoctoRot wrote: I have had good luck painting assembled engines, by cleaning them REALLY well, then using metal etch to prep them before paint.

Thanks for this. Can you recommend a good spray paint....

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Feb 2018 15:28 #779296 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Can I simply RATTLE CAN my engine black?
DO NOT USE RUSTOLEUM! Clean as best you can, scuff with Scotch-brite pads
Dupli -Color engine enamel or PJ1. I have been waiting to test KRYLON high heat also, I have used there aluminum/silver before. Never used their black.
Believe this or not, 25-30 years ago I painted Kaw engines with black Lacquer aerosol cans. It worked great. VHT never had gloss black, only flat. So I always painted my stuff gloss black

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
24 Feb 2018 15:38 #779297 by Kollector
Replied by Kollector on topic Can I simply RATTLE CAN my engine black?
Go to your local auto parts store and look at Duplicolor high temp engine enamel, gloss black and gloss clearcoat. This stuff sticks like epoxy. I've used it successfully on engines and bodywork. I'm not kidding, this stuff is amazing.

'83 KZ750 Spectre, '01 ZRX1200R, '03 ZZR1200, '84 GPZ900R, 7 Hondas, 1 Yamaha

More
24 Feb 2018 15:54 #779298 by 650Dude

z1kzonly wrote: DO NOT USE RUSTOLEUM! Clean as best you can, scuff with Scotch-brite pads
Dupli -Color engine enamel or PJ1. I have been waiting to test KRYLON high heat also, I have used there aluminum/silver before. Never used their black.
Believe this or not, 25-30 years ago I painted Kaw engines with black Lacquer aerosol cans. It worked great. VHT never had gloss black, only flat. So I always painted my stuff gloss black

Yeah by buddy told me a little earlier in the day that PJ1 was best and that Rustoleum would be a disaster. Im thinking of doing the WHOLE thing black now. Should I scuff the chrome with scotchbrite on the clutch cover etc? I saw this photo and it looks awesome.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2018 16:04 #779299 by 650Dude

Kollector wrote: Go to your local auto parts store and look at Duplicolor high temp engine enamel, gloss black and gloss clearcoat. This stuff sticks like epoxy. I've used it successfully on engines and bodywork. I'm not kidding, this stuff is amazing.

Thanks! The delivery time for the PJ1 is quite a while so Im going to take our suggestion and get the Duplicolor! Do I really need clearcoat on top of the paint? I dont want my aircooled engine to run hotter because its smothered.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Feb 2018 16:11 #779300 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Can I simply RATTLE CAN my engine black?
Have you a SS wire brush wheel? Once done you can't go back.
Steve

More
24 Feb 2018 16:13 #779301 by 650Dude

SWest wrote: Have you a SS wire brush wheel? Once done you can't go back.
Steve

Yes Ive got every tool under the sun, but I dont want debris on the bike before i paint it. I used steel wool once and there were shavings everywhere. I think Im going to use scotchbrite.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
24 Feb 2018 16:36 #779302 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Can I simply RATTLE CAN my engine black?
I used gloss black and prefer the look over flat.
Prep is critical for a good job. Better with motor out of the frame but it is up to you
Along with wire wheel / scotchbrite / and picks for the nooks and crannys I would power wash and blow dry with a air compressor
All Black is nice , but I prefer some contrast on my motors.
Once painted and cured ( Run it and drive it for paint to setup.
I like taking a metal file and 2x4 wrapped in emery cloth to clean off the fin edges on the cylinder head
See attached pictures of my bike and Doctor rots motor
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments: