Exhaust?

• steamboat927
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jun 2016 03:16 #732842 by steamboat927
Exhaust? was created by steamboat927
So I keep thinking about making my 81 kz440 louder just to be more noticed while riding from a safety standpoint. But with the bike being so old I also dont want to start messing with things if it's going to give me more issues. Basically if it's not broke don't fix it. So my question is, with the age of the bike, would it be safe to either cut off the trumpets/bore out the baffles? I figure with this I'd need to rejet it too? And how hard would it be to rejet it? Or should I just leave it alone and deal with how quiet it is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2016 03:25 #732843 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Exhaust?
Well, having to dink with the carb rejetting aside, I seriously don't think louder exhaust is going to equate to safer riding conditions anyway. Sure people standing on the sidewalk may hear you sooner but the a$$h0Le driver in the car around the corner, talking on his phone isn't going to be paying any more attention to sound outside his rolled up windows anyway as he runs the stop sign...

Just my humble opinion. I totally get the custom exhaust desire otherwise, just not as a safety issue. More lighting is probably a better approach to safety.

More
26 Jun 2016 04:52 #732849 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Exhaust?
Loud pisses folks off and a few of those folks are idiots who will decide to make you a target. Rather than just hoping others will hear your bike and not run over you you should rely on your own attention span and your ability to react to cars and other threats on the road to keep you out of harm's way. Expecting everyone who hears your bike to avoid pulling out in front of you etc. is a mistake; some folks will run into you (not necessarily on purpose) even if your bike is very loud. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• steamboat927
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jun 2016 06:23 #732859 by steamboat927
Replied by steamboat927 on topic Exhaust?
I get that, I'm just used to my Harley which is much louder so when I get back on the kawi I feel like I'm riding a moped. Do they even make jet kits for the 440 carbs anymore?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Jun 2016 06:39 #732862 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Exhaust?
My bike is loud but not too loud. There's a difference in making ponies and just being loud. Even a novice can tell by the sound if the exhaust is working or just barking. I noticed a difference in the behavior of drivers with my headlight change at intersections. I replaced it with a HID that is brighter and has a blue tint. Cars will stop and the driver will look at me as I ride by. I still don't trust them. There are LED conversions too.
On my 900 before I got my 2/1 baffles, I took a piece of rebar and punched through the inside of the baffles. That made the mufflers a little louder without causing jetting issues. They were rusting out and scratched so it didn't matter to me. The Jardine megaphone slip on's sounded better and breathed better too. I had the side drafts after the wreck and they were JUNK so I bought a V/H 4/1.
Steve

• steamboat927
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jun 2016 08:26 #732878 by steamboat927
Replied by steamboat927 on topic Exhaust?
I'll have to look into getting an hid the light on the bike isn't the best. So if I were to just drill out the baffle it would make a little difference but not enough to have to rejet? How did it sound? I have a full parts bike for this one that I could always through those pipes on it if I don't like it.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Jun 2016 08:34 #732880 by SWest