Picked up a blasting cabinet

• GKBO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
More
18 May 2016 19:34 #727330 by GKBO
Picked up a blasting cabinet was created by GKBO
Was looking though the UasedVic tools and found an ad for a DIY blasting cabinet for $30,Thought it might have been long gone and the seller didn't take down the ad but I emailed the seller my cell # and asked to call or text me.Got a text a little while later and off we went to have a look.Found this when we got there:
[IMG

[IMG

It is pretty well made,the sides are old steel McDonald's sings and the frame has really nice welds.There was no front and for the last 2 weeks I've been kind of looking and thinking about just what to do.Asked my buddy the maintenance super at work if there was something that might work.Told him it needed to be 35 x
31 inches.He said he didn't have anything the whole 31" but had 2 that would be close.We went out to the scrap area and he showed me these :
[IMG

Stainless AND a widow heck yeah I'll take that!Thought I might have to do a bit of cutting to fit them but when I put the window piece on the cabinet it was like it was made to fit.Still have to take off some easily removed bit from it's former life,grind some of the folded stuff to clearance the legs to.Oh and figure out someway to get holes so I can fit the glove ports on.Not quite sure how to do that,defiantly don't have a big enough hole saw :blink: Suggestions welcome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2016 04:37 #727388 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Picked up a blasting cabinet
You are going to want to modify the window set up. You need to have a way to easily replace it when it gets etched. Some laminated glass would be best. A single layer of plate glass or tempered glass doesn't cut it, the pressure differences and the high impact of pressurized media can wreck your day with your nose pressed up on the glass. It doesn't take much for things to get exciting. Get some thick vinyl you can put in front of it as well so you can keep the necessity of changing the actual glass to a minimum.

More
19 May 2016 04:39 #727389 by GPzMOD750
Oh yeah. Nice find.

More
19 May 2016 07:00 #727405 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Picked up a blasting cabinet
Good score GKBO! Wish I had a cabinet a couple of weekends ago.. Would have kept the driveway beach I created under control! :laugh:

• GKBO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
More
20 May 2016 17:27 #727657 by GKBO
Replied by GKBO on topic Picked up a blasting cabinet
Thanks for the feed back guys,something in front of the glass sounds like a plan to me.Thanks Mod.Done the total loss blasting to WM,it's not only the mess it make where you're blasting,it's how you get covered to.I have a graveled area where I've done most of it so mostly that's not to bad.
Got the glove holes cut ,borrowed the plasma cutter from work(yes with permission) and did a horrible job with it.Thankfully the glove port rings will cover my sins :blush: A bit more cutting(with my angle grinder thank you) and I should be able to get things attached

• GKBO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
More
11 Jul 2016 12:28 #734600 by GKBO
Well drilling the SS doors is turning into a huge PITA.Getting 8 of the 26 holes needed has killed 3 drill bits including a step drill.Any tips or alternative way to do them?Carbide tip drill?
To mod's post on the window it turns out it is plexi to begin with.

More
11 Jul 2016 14:56 #734613 by GPzMOD750
You'll still want to conver it so it doesn't get etched.

you probably need a bit specifically for sheet metal. Cobalt would probably help as well.

More
12 Jul 2016 04:55 #734654 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic Picked up a blasting cabinet
Try using a slower speed if you can. Your drills are going too fast and that builds heat which work hardens the stainless. And use a lubricant.

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

• GKBO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
More
12 Jul 2016 08:57 #734688 by GKBO

GPzMOD750 wrote: You'll still want to conver it so it doesn't get etched.

you probably need a bit specifically for sheet metal. Cobalt would probably help as well.

Yes I agree covering the window would be a good idea,was thinking more about it being glass and shattering.Happy it's not glass.
Try using a slower speed if you can. Your drills are going too fast and that builds heat which work hardens the stainless. And use a lubricant.
That is defiantly the problem.Using a hand variable speed drill makes it trickier.Thinking of taking them to work and using the plasma cutter.

• GKBO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
More
15 Aug 2016 14:12 #738789 by GKBO
[IMG

Finished it up finally :dry: Click on the sig link to see pics of the first piece though it.This is going to work out NICE!

• GKBO
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
More
10 Sep 2016 20:19 #741810 by GKBO
Have been using the cabinet a lot.Did have to do some modifications and it's now working great.Just picked up some blasting soda to do the engine with.Getting that in should be real fun...........................NOT!