Reflecting upon the weekend

• wrenchmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2016 07:31 #715340 by wrenchmonkey
Reflecting upon the weekend was created by wrenchmonkey
I had some time this past weekend to diddle with a few things on my 550a. I finally got the carbs all synchronized and man did that ever make a difference in how it runs. It ran good before but it's still like night and day different once you break-out the sync's and learn how fat your fingers are and possibly that you may need a new eyeglass prescription B)

So there's that and then there was this little diddy:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

When this kz550a was given to me it was missing a few little bits including the front, side reflectors. Last week I bought a pair of these LED lighted reflectors for grins and decided to hook them up. They are a "scootch" bigger than the stock ones but they contain LED lights for parking/running and slightly brighter for signals.
In the end I am happy to have the 'ol bike a wee bit closer to stock appearance and the added functionality of side marker lights is a bonus IMHO.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Mar 2016 08:14 #715350 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Reflecting upon the weekend
Clean little machine. Yeah it will run well without sync but it runs a lot better when done, The scary noises at idle should be enough to get a guy motivated to do it. If not, he can stay in the slow lane. :whistle:
Good job. :woohoo:
Steve

More
14 Mar 2016 09:27 #715362 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Reflecting upon the weekend
Yes, very nice and classic...

More
14 Mar 2016 15:08 #715412 by spdygon
Replied by spdygon on topic Reflecting upon the weekend
Darn that is nice.....had the opportunity to buy one for $500 a while back.

1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

More
14 Mar 2016 15:26 #715415 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Reflecting upon the weekend
There aren't enough E's in CLEEEEEEEN to describe that bike! Very nice! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Mar 2016 16:27 #715419 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Reflecting upon the weekend
I need to go check it out since W/M's just a few mile's from me.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• wrenchmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Mar 2016 05:26 #715473 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Reflecting upon the weekend
Thanks guys. This kz was pretty dang clean when my son gave it to me. I don't know where it came from (probably Austin area). I haven't done much really beyond OCD cleaning and a little tuning. Most of the efforts so far have been simply to become more familiar with it's current state and happily, it seems everything I look into, I find the bike was taken care of which is like a sigh of relief. The more I look, the more reassured I get.

Carb synchronization, after all was said and done, was much like valve shim adjustment - scary/nervous that I'd F-up something but once you're in the trench and actually doing it, it's pretty darn straight forward and fun. Well, I find it fun. Maybe not as fun as twisting it through Lakeshore Dr and N.Valley Mills around the lake here on a sunny afternoon but kinda' Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance fun; if you know what I mean?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Mar 2016 06:02 #715478 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Reflecting upon the weekend
The big fours aren't as finicky when it comes to the carbs being in sync. Yeah they can stumble and knock a little but the smaller ones can make some scary noises. :ohmy: The 550 was doing that with the primary chain and clutch rattles. No wonder the PO was convinced it wasn't worth fixing. Cleaned the carbs, checked the cam chain adjuster and put it on my carb stix. Way off. Dialed them in and it purred like a fat kitten. Bossie was popping out of the pipe and rough idle after I raised the needles and still ran like a scaulded cat. I waited until I got my new air screws and "nipples" on. :lol: Way off. Evened them out, now she's back to the purring/wild cat she always was. :woohoo:
Steve