Anyone Do Metal Casting On Here?

More
30 Jan 2016 18:04 - 30 Jan 2016 18:06 #708652 by NakedFun
Anyone Do Metal Casting On Here? was created by NakedFun
So looking to do some custom tank emblems for the KZ project bike. I want to combine this:

[IMG

With the stockers...

[IMG

I know how the casting process works, but I have never done it before. The only other option would be to CNC it....

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900
Last edit: 30 Jan 2016 18:06 by NakedFun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2016 21:45 #708674 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Anyone Do Metal Casting On Here?
Ive been thinking of doing something similar on my build but with plastic. I thought to make a silicone mold of the originals then cast a couple of sacrifical badges that I can cut up to make what I want (keeping the originals unharmed). Make another mold of the modified badges and there you go.
If you want a single colour,pigments can be added to the mix.If you want different colours,they can be painted .
There is a shop near me that specialize in plastics and molding media.They have tons of stuff,so I should be able to find something suitable
there.
It would be a lot easier and less smelly and messy than casting it in metal.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
30 Jan 2016 22:49 - 31 Jan 2016 00:14 #708677 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Anyone Do Metal Casting On Here?
I have been thinking about casting some badges in bronze or aluminum myself. Nothing about it is technically hard except the creation of the original plug.I have access to a foundry, but i have been playing with the idea of casting it in my backyard after watching some videos. A piece like this can quite easily be sand cast. I was gonna do like Davido and take a mold off the original and cast that in wax to modify

i really like the flag idea though, i actually had a lapel pin on my jacket that looked just like that for years but it fell of recently. The one bummer is that because the emblems are sided you have twice as much work. I was also contemplating casting a points cover with the Kawasaki crest, or Kawaasaki kanji

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2016 00:14 by DoctoRot.

More
31 Jan 2016 02:29 - 31 Jan 2016 02:38 #708683 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Anyone Do Metal Casting On Here?

davido wrote: Ive been thinking of doing something similar on my build but with plastic....

3D printing might be an option. ??? ABS & nylon are a couple of the more common plastics used in the process.

google search = 3D printing emblems
www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1022-awe...g-wheel-emblems.html
www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/...ake-your-own-badges/
Last edit: 31 Jan 2016 02:38 by martin_csr.

More
31 Jan 2016 04:01 #708695 by DK900
Replied by DK900 on topic Anyone Do Metal Casting On Here?

NakedFun wrote: I know how the casting process works, but I have never done it before. The only other option would be to CNC it....

If you cast it you would have to have the reverse machined into a mold. If you have to pay shop rates for programming and running; the cost would be pretty high. If you have someone that would do it as a “government” job I would just machine them on a CNC mill.

(Actually I would have the reverse machined into graphite or copper roughing and finishing electrode and burn them with an EDM machine, in case I wanted more) But that would require knowing the right people.

If you have the ability to make a solid model yourself; 3D printing would probably be your best bet.

1976 KZ900-A4
1995 FLTCU Tourglide

More
31 Jan 2016 05:52 #708715 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Anyone Do Metal Casting On Here?
So I think I may play with the AutoCad 123D software and submit it to Shapeways. This was recommended to me on the ZRX site as well. So this is what I was thinking....sorry I did it quickly on MS Paint

[IMG

I would use the existing screw holes for the stock badge since the factory badge sits higher on the tank anyway, so it would allow for the lower overhang.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
31 Jan 2016 05:57 #708716 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Anyone Do Metal Casting On Here?

martin_csr wrote:

davido wrote: Ive been thinking of doing something similar on my build but with plastic....

3D printing might be an option. ??? ABS & nylon are a couple of the more common plastics used in the process.

google search = 3D printing emblems
www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1022-awe...g-wheel-emblems.html
www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/...ake-your-own-badges/

I think Martin is onto something here!! :woohoo:
I suspect that 3D printing is gonna take huge leaps in popularity due to constantly evolving improvements in equipment ,raw materials processess etc!
I would love to have more knowledge / read more about this! :) I hope someone will do some replica parts for Kaws and post the project on here!
OK, the old man will shut up now! B) :blink: :whistle:
LOL
Ed

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

More
31 Jan 2016 05:58 #708717 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Anyone Do Metal Casting On Here?

NakedFun wrote: So I think I may play with the AutoCad 123D software and submit it to Shapeways. This was recommended to me on the ZRX site as well. So this is what I was thinking....sorry I did it quickly on MS Paint

I would use the existing screw holes for the stock badge since the factory badge sits higher on the tank anyway, so it would allow for the lower overhang.

Cory

Just curious, would the shape of the tank affect how large / design??
Ed

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Jan 2016 06:02 #708719 by SWest

More
31 Jan 2016 06:10 #708723 by NakedFun

ed spangler wrote:

NakedFun wrote: So I think I may play with the AutoCad 123D software and submit it to Shapeways. This was recommended to me on the ZRX site as well. So this is what I was thinking....sorry I did it quickly on MS Paint

Cory

Just curious, would the shape of the tank affect how large / design??
Ed

The scale should be similar. The Top badges are around 59 mm tall and stock, 99 mm long. So it would be cut into and extending the lower section of the old River Mark badges. As far as fitting tank curvature, I would like it to be made out of aluminum from Shapeways, then hand fitted to the tank curves.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
04 Feb 2016 15:33 #709420 by NakedFun
So look what showed up....

[IMG

Fit pretty well....just requires some tweaks to meet my drawing.

[IMG

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900