Safest way to park two bikes

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2015 07:33 #683288 by TheForumTroll
Safest way to park two bikes was created by TheForumTroll
I'm going to a concert Saturday (Volbeat) and luckily we have a safe parking spot for our bikes, but it got me thinking about which way is the safest way to park two bikes together to minimize the chance of them getting tipped over? :side:

I was thinking either side by side, leaning out each way like so: (hope the board doesn't mess up the code)
Code:
\ / ___|\_/|___

Or lock them together leaning in, like this:
Code:
/ \ ___/|_|\___

The vertical line | is the side-stand btw. :P

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2015 07:40 #683290 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Safest way to park two bikes
None of the above. The best way is to use the centerstand. I don't believe it is possible to accidentally tip a bike over when it is on the centerstand. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
29 Jul 2015 07:49 #683292 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Safest way to park two bikes
The 1% back patch MC clubs usually park facing outwards against the wall, numberplate is not visible and allows for a quick exit in case of trouble.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
29 Jul 2015 08:03 #683294 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Safest way to park two bikes
Im a believer in my side stands and finding good ground to increase the angle of the bike on the side stand to put extra weight on it which increases stability . Making the bikes harder to accidentally lean against and knock over.
When I take any of my bikes to a event I usually have a 2nd bike with me and we park in opposite directions , stand to stand and then I have a long cable and padlock which I thread through all 4 wheels to make moving the bikes near impossible.
I have seen it happen more than once where some lookyloo or drunk will get to near the bikes and lean on the rearend pushing off to keep moving and accidentally roll the bike forward off the center stand :angry:
Not a pretty site and hard to stop from falling once the bike is put into motion
Really it all comes down to where you are parked and who may approach your bike.
Now if Im out on the road and stop somewhere for gas or at a bike nite NO ONE gets near my bike with out my rather large self being RIGHT UP CLOSE AND PERSONEL with the curious space violator :evil:
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
29 Jul 2015 08:13 #683295 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Safest way to park two bikes
Maybe the geometry of the KZ650 centerstand/frame is different. Obviously I haven't tried pushing my bike off the centerstand from behind, but I believe it would be really difficult to push my bike off the centerstand unless you are actually straddling the bike holding the handlebars and giving it a might shove forward. It varies depending on whether it's facing uphill or down, but I generally find it is more difficult to push my bike off the centerstand than it is to pull it up onto the centerstand. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Jul 2015 17:51 #683366 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Safest way to park two bikes

Tyrell Corp wrote: The 1% back patch MC clubs usually park facing outwards against the wall, numberplate is not visible and allows for a quick exit in case of trouble.

I wonder why? :whistle:
Steve

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
29 Jul 2015 20:38 - 29 Jul 2015 20:39 #683388 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Safest way to park two bikes
I think leaning them towards each other, trust your kick stand.
Many years ago, around 30, I had an incident happen where a girl friend was really pissed off at me .
She knocked me and the bike over on the right side and she probably only weighed 115 lbs.
Of course I weighed a bit more :blush:

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 29 Jul 2015 20:39 by bluej58.

More
29 Jul 2015 22:33 #683403 by Barry2
Replied by Barry2 on topic Safest way to park two bikes
She still alive? just wonderin'.

1976 KZ900

More
30 Jul 2015 04:15 #683410 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Safest way to park two bikes
Am careful not to use center-stand on asphalt in hot weather because it may sink into the surface and cause the bike to fall over.

When using the side-stand on asphalt in hot weather or on soft ground in any weather, am careful to place a flat support under the side-stand to prevent it from sinking into the soft surface. A "Parking Puck" or similar aftermarket product is sufficient. I just keep a short section of redwood slat in the under-seat pullout tray (along with the extra spark plug, tire pressure gauge, etc.) as a handy item for side-stand support.

A security cable (carried under the seat) is used to connect the frame -- not wheel -- to an immoveable post, or to a riding buddy's bike frame. Two bikes connected by their frames with a security cable are difficult to move. And may be accomplished with a relatively fairly short security cable. Looping a security cable only through a wheel is better than nothing, but wheels, especially a front wheel, are fairly easy to quickly remove, and the owner may return to find only his bike's wheel connected to a post.

There are some good threads here on KZr about anti-theft measures. And how thieves steal bikes. Such as using a shovel under a locked wheel to slide the bike, and other nefarious methods.

When stopping for meals at a restaurant or fast-food joint, try to find a seat where the bike is within view.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
30 Jul 2015 06:58 #683430 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Safest way to park two bikes
I use a neato cycle foot to keep the side stand from sinking into the substrate.
But I do worry that someone will knock my bike over & steal it, since it's so cool looking. :laugh:

More
30 Jul 2015 07:31 #683436 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Safest way to park two bikes
If there is a curb, I back the rear tire against it at an angle so the kickstand stops it from tipping to the left, and the curb stops it from tipping to the right. Then put it in gear. I learned this while parking at work, as the best way to prevent tip over in a storm, especially if there is a cover on the bike.

More
30 Jul 2015 15:10 #683489 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Re:Safest way to park two bikes
It does get windy in the Windy City.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200