Bike of the Month.

More
01 Oct 2024 16:11 - 01 Oct 2024 16:12 #904790 by sf4t7
Replied by sf4t7 on topic Bike of the Month.
Nice, nice, nice !
And why not do another one?  Like they say about brain surgery - it goes smoother the second time!

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
Superbike bars
530 conversion
Last edit: 01 Oct 2024 16:12 by sf4t7.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
03 Oct 2024 07:05 #904827 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Bike of the Month.
I've updated the BOTM image slider on the home page so that the images are in a random order. I've also updated the welcome banner but you'll probable have to clear your local browser cache to see SlmJim and Z1BEBE's latest effort.
That's some fine workmanship Jim & BEBE.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ, calum

More
06 Oct 2024 13:00 #904903 by calum
Replied by calum on topic Bike of the Month.
Very nice work as always, SlmJim and Z1BEBE. Congratulations on the full set of Z1's, a long time in the making. Out of curiosity, what are the six bikes in the set? I figured there would just be '73, '74 and '75.

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
16 Oct 2024 08:47 #905185 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Bike of the Month.
Just now getting caught up from our few weeks away & hurricane Milton adventure.

We named that bike 'The Seven Year _itch'.  Life, health, deaths & general circumstances got in the way of focusing on this basket case daily, so it occupied the service bay off & (mostly) on for 6+ yrs.

The pics don't do justice to the entire challenge.  The seller is a trusted individual that many here would recognize.  His comment prior to the sale while we were inspecting everything in his dimly-lit warehouse was, "I didn't take it apart.  I bought it from the guy who did. He said he's pretty sure all the parts might still be there. Maybe."

What we found was a dozen or so boxes of disorganized, grimy parts, the bare frame, correct #'s empty cases, early Z1 jugs & head, and a '75 Z1-B motor sans head with stuck pistons for a donor crank & tranny.  Ultimately, almost all the OEM parts were found scattered among the boxes, along with a few parts from other years' Z1's and a few outright mystery items..  The very few parts not there we had on the shelf or could order from Mama Kaw.  Green/ yellow tankset is from Z1 Enterprises during Jeff Saunders' ownership.

Bike is as close to box stock as we can make it with current parts availability and a not-unlimited budget.

We've done a few Z1 refurbs since finishing The Seven Year _itch.  Did them just to flip, as we didn't need or want them.  Unless the right bike comes along & the spirit moves us at the same time, we're unlikely to ever do another one.  We'll just focus on maintaining the collection we've got.  Too, we're of an age that liquidating & downsizing pings every now & then on the farthest distance of our over-the-horizon radar.

calum wrote above, "Out of curiosity, what are the six bikes in the set? I figured there would just be '73, '74 and '75."
Two color schemes each year over a three year production run.

Thanks for the kudos everyone.  It was a fun Project*.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

* A project doesn't qualify as a Project unless & until it draws blood.  slmjim dutifully left his bright red DNA in the innards of The Seven Year _itch after it demanded & obtained it's required blood sacrifice.

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, calum, howardhb, Wookie58