Good bike mechanic in Washington?

More
26 Apr 2015 20:54 #669710 by ZedBiker
Good bike mechanic in Washington? was created by ZedBiker
I have a 1978 KZ650 project I am starting up. Looking for a good mechanic in the Tacoma/Seattle area to help with getting her running. Anyone have any suggestions?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Apr 2015 21:11 #669713 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Good bike mechanic in Washington?
Find a parts bike or a complete one and switch parts.
Steve

More
26 Apr 2015 21:21 #669715 by ZedBiker
Replied by ZedBiker on topic Good bike mechanic in Washington?
I'm good on parts, but need to clean up the electrical. No spark. Need the carbs gone through. That kind of thing.

More
26 Apr 2015 22:11 #669719 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Good bike mechanic in Washington?
There's a decent bike shop with a couple of old timers who know these bikes well.....Brothers Powersports in Bremerton near the Autoplex. they are not specifically a Kawasaki dealer but the mechs know them. Do NOT go to the official Kawasaki dealer Cliff's Cycle......they have a bunch of younger mechs who have no real knowledge of older bikes. It will be pricey, unless you take some time and do it yourself.....plenty of superb help on here for any topic.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZedBiker

More
26 Apr 2015 22:15 #669720 by ZedBiker
Thank you blue. That's just up the road from me. I've been riding a long time but just have not been too down and dirty getting into older bikes mechanically. This will be a first for me.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Apr 2015 05:43 #669727 by SWest
There is nothing like knowing what you have between your legs. If you break down, you can fix it. Otherwise, your at the mercy of the sharks.
Steve

More
13 May 2015 19:19 #672002 by ZedBiker
Update, called the shop above. 4 days later a lady called back and said the mechanic would take a look at it in November and wanted 3 hours up front to look it over. Translation: don't want to work on your bike dude. Back to the search for a good bike mechanic that wants to work on a bike sometime in the near future.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2015 20:06 #672008 by SWest

More
13 May 2015 21:20 #672012 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Good bike mechanic in Washington?

ZedBiker wrote: Update, called the shop above. 4 days later a lady called back and said the mechanic would take a look at it in November and wanted 3 hours up front to look it over. Translation: don't want to work on your bike dude. Back to the search for a good bike mechanic that wants to work on a bike sometime in the near future.

That's a surprise to me......oh well......egg on my face, sorry I gave you a bum steer :blush:

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2015 21:28 #672014 by SWest
The dealers use to send the old bikes to me. Some were hopeless, others weren't. Always had something to do. I'm thinking on starting a small shop again. By appointment only just to keep busy.
Steve

More
13 May 2015 21:36 #672017 by ZedBiker
Any lead is a good lead. Some are better than others. Maybe in the off season they will be a bit hungrier to do the work. I do appreciate the lead. Maybe I will just have to pluck away at it myself. Read some of the posts on rebuilding carbs. Figure out my no spark problem. Etc... Short term is to get it going for summer transportation, long term is to make it a mash up of a cafe/fighter/brat bike. Some really interesting inspiration in Pinterest.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
13 May 2015 21:58 - 13 May 2015 22:01 #672019 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Good bike mechanic in Washington?
Unfortunately there aren't many shops that will even look at an old zed. The ones that will that I have interacted with in the Seattle area seem to do piss poor work, I slowly started doing more and more myself because of complete failures on over priced work... Eg mounting tires backwards, stripping screws, gouging wheels...etc. Now I do everything myself because I simply don't trust anyone to care as much as I do and do it right. There is lots of info and support here. 5 years ago I joined with a plea for some hands on help rebuilding an engine,I was completely clueless, I have come a long way because of the people on this forum. Still plenty for meto learn. There are few things more satisfying than fixing your own bike. Get yourself a manual, dive In, and ask questions. you got this.
Last edit: 13 May 2015 22:01 by DoctoRot.