broke down....

More
04 Sep 2013 19:28 #604835 by mik3mac
broke down.... was created by mik3mac
I have a 76 kz900 I was out for a ride when out of no wear My bike cut off. I tried to re start by electrical starter nothing happened I then tried to kick start and nothing happened any tips on what I should check? thanks.

1976 kz900 custom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2013 19:35 #604838 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic broke down....
Fuse?

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
04 Sep 2013 20:06 - 04 Sep 2013 20:07 #604842 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic broke down....

asevans wrote: Fuse?

+1

Also why is it blowing a fuse? if it did.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2013 20:07 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
04 Sep 2013 21:02 #604852 by JR
Replied by JR on topic broke down....
When the bike dies and all the electrics are dead there's really only 2 maybe 3 possible reasons.
1. Either one of the cables to the battery or ground have come loose
2 the main fuse has blown.
3 Ignition switch knackered.

This happened to me at the weekend and it was the main fuse. After replacing the fuse it fired up and I rode home. I spent 4 or 5 hours on Monday looking for a short and found nothing. Rode 40 km today and no problem.
A few years back I blew a main fuse and blew the replacement immediately and ended up pushing the beast almost a mile home. Eventually I found a short in the headlight bucket where some old electrical tape had come off a connection - blame PO. After a proper repair all was fine.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
04 Sep 2013 21:38 #604859 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic broke down....
Sometimes when they are old the glass fuses will blow for no reason (wanna guess how I learned this?). What's worse, sometimes they look perfectly fine. Wheat happens is the little metal caps loosen from years of vibration and separate from the filament inside the fuse. So when you look at the filament it looks ok, but it actually has disconnected from one of the metal caps. If the fuses are more than 10 years old I would replace them all. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Sep 2013 23:02 #604889 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic broke down....
What Ed said, but look for evidence of burning at the fuse contacts, (melted plastic, ect). Common problem for bad contact between the 20A main fuse and it's clips, fuse runs red hot and burns open, then you are dead. I worried about this riding at night more than drunk drivers and deer combined. If it was today all the KZs would have been recalled by Kawasaki and a better fuse setup installed. It's more than a nuisance, it can be deadly when this happens.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
05 Sep 2013 09:36 #604972 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic broke down....
If all else fails look closely at the solder connections in the right switch block (use a continuity tester). My KZ900 had one go bad with the same symptoms.

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

More
05 Sep 2013 10:35 #604982 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic broke down....
My 81 KZ750E did exactly what Ed described on the way to work one morning. I pulled into a residential area driveway and was working on it when my boss' boss pulls up. She offered me a ride, but I already had things in hand. Literally, the cap in one hand, the glass and the rest of the fuse in the other.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
09 Sep 2013 00:18 #605629 by mik3mac
Replied by mik3mac on topic broke down....
Thanks every one only one problem I can't find a single fuse on my bike. I have a different front end with duel headlights no dash or gages my ignition is on the side ov my bike poorly placed its maybe half an inch above my battery i didnt do this this is how i got the bike in gonna relocate it here is my theory... I went over a bump right before this happened actually after hitting the bump is when it turrned off on me could it be that when I hit the bump my battery termanal touched my ignition. And caused it to ground out or burn up or something like that?

1976 kz900 custom

More
09 Sep 2013 00:57 - 09 Sep 2013 00:58 #605634 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic broke down....
I believe you are correct that going over the bump made your bike cut out. At first glance it appears your bike was modified a bit, the front end looks like it was raked that's all I can spot from the small picture in your avatar, so it's a good bet that more than that was done. There really should be fuses somewhere, have you checked behind the side panels (typical location) or under the seat. maybe take the tank off and look there in case the fuse box was relocated. Maybe if you can post some bigger pictures. :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
Last edit: 09 Sep 2013 00:58 by bluezbike.

More
09 Sep 2013 05:35 #605654 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic broke down....
Everyone rags a Wiredgeorge ignition relay but I install them on my bikes because it is a simple way to hotwire the bike.

If you were to carry a small length of wire with two alligator clips you van run a wire from your battery to the hot wire going into the coils. This has come in handy a couple of times.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
09 Sep 2013 18:32 #605742 by JR
Replied by JR on topic broke down....

roy-b-boy-b wrote: Everyone rags a Wiredgeorge ignition relay but I install them on my bikes because it is a simple way to hotwire the bike.

If you were to carry a small length of wire with two alligator clips you van run a wire from your battery to the hot wire going into the coils. This has come in handy a couple of times.

Thanks Roy. That sounds like a good tip. Am I right in thinking that I could also bridge the terminals on the starter relay with a screwdriver blade to turn the starter motor over ? I'm to old to bump start. This would be a last resort / get you home kind of roadside repair.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust