AMA on speed channel

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2013 19:46 #577097 by 4TheKZ1000
AMA on speed channel was created by 4TheKZ1000
racing on

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2013 12:31 #577198 by motociclista
Replied by motociclista on topic AMA on speed channel
I counted 19 bikes on the grid for the first Superbike race, which is weak, but not nearly as weak as the 19 paying fans I could see in the sea of Daytona International Speedway grandstands. Remember when Daytona was a big deal?

Read a sample chapter of my book or follow my blog at www.theridesofar.com .

More
16 Mar 2013 12:59 #577204 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic AMA on speed channel
surprised that you are surprised. is it really note worthy news that roadracing was never big in the USA and is actually shrinking further by the day?

a moto-journo friend in the NoCal tells me that club racing there is really dying and correy clough (member here) told me there where all of 4 starters total in the vintage class race in the AMF event at buttonwillow... vintage racing is supposed to be low cost...

That said, last week we had the kick off of the Italian National Cup series and the event has shrunk from three days to sunday only thing. no wonder, there where 50 starters in total for five classes (albeit more than 50 blokes in the gradnstands). I think its really like that all over the world these days.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2013 13:01 #577205 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic AMA on speed channel
it was a good final yesterday afternoon. Good to see the number "20" in the field.

More
16 Mar 2013 15:30 #577222 by motociclista
Replied by motociclista on topic AMA on speed channel

turboguzzi wrote: surprised that you are surprised. is it really note worthy news that roadracing was never big in the USA and is actually shrinking further by the day?

I didn't say I was surprised. But while roadracing has never been big in the USA, compared to stick and ball sports, there was a time not that long ago when the Daytona 200 was important enough that international racers came to compete as a one-off. Remember people getting pissed off because Carl Fogarty said he hated Daytona? Well, we don't have to worry about things like that these days. No foreign rider would consider Daytona a must-race event and no manufacturer is going to force a World Superbike or other top-rank rider to. Instead, they'd probably discourage it. The AMA Superbike round used to be one of the two biggest events of the year at my local track, Mid-Ohio. Now it's on the verge of being cancelled for lack of interest.

Read a sample chapter of my book or follow my blog at www.theridesofar.com .

• riturbo
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 Mar 2013 22:23 #577283 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic AMA on speed channel

motociclista wrote:

turboguzzi wrote: surprised that you are surprised. is it really note worthy news that roadracing was never big in the USA and is actually shrinking further by the day?

I didn't say I was surprised. But while roadracing has never been big in the USA, compared to stick and ball sports, there was a time not that long ago when the Daytona 200 was important enough that international racers came to compete as a one-off. Remember people getting pissed off because Carl Fogarty said he hated Daytona? Well, we don't have to worry about things like that these days. No foreign rider would consider Daytona a must-race event and no manufacturer is going to force a World Superbike or other top-rank rider to. Instead, they'd probably discourage it. The AMA Superbike round used to be one of the two biggest events of the year at my local track, Mid-Ohio. Now it's on the verge of being cancelled for lack of interest.

yup They used to race in loudon N.H, every june. Havent been here in years Its a shame

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
16 Mar 2013 22:41 #577286 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic AMA on speed channel
Interesting. I'm just sitting here watching Indy SX on speed and the announcer says speed WILL be covering motogp races... he even mentioned the American rounds by name ! However the pessimist in me says the announcer is an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about. Wait and see.

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
16 Mar 2013 23:52 #577301 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic AMA on speed channel
i am getting FB posts about race 2 for superbike results...no coverage though today os speed?
?

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
17 Mar 2013 02:20 #577316 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic AMA on speed channel

trianglelaguna wrote: i am getting FB posts about race 2 for superbike results...no coverage though today os speed?
?

No coverage today but superbike, GNC short track and the 200 tomorrow. :woohoo:

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
17 Mar 2013 09:35 #577334 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic AMA on speed channel

But while road racing has never been big in the USA, compared to stick and ball sports, there was a time not that long ago when the Daytona 200 was important enough that international racers came to compete as a one-off.

not just daytona, go back in time and there were the transatlantic match races, imola 200, "Race of the year" (in UK ) and others....gone!

well, since GP's and WSBK grown into +15 events per year and riders held by contract to just one series, these fun mixed fields dont exist for more than 10 years. Until early 2000's some factories still brought people like valentino, colin, haga, etc to the Suzuka 8hrs , but that is not happening anymore either.

shame, but teams cant risk top rider's injuries in a one-off race for glory.
add to that fact that every series now is for different bike specs and dorna being so protective towards prototypes. what rules to run an international daytona these days? nobody is going to build and develop a bike for a one off event. sad but it's been true for many many years already.

More
17 Mar 2013 09:45 #577338 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic AMA on speed channel
AMA Pro Racing today at 9:00 pm ET on the Speed Channel. Superbike and Sportbike racing from Daytona. Also, Daytona special program at 1:30 pm ET on the Speed Channel.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
17 Mar 2013 13:41 - 17 Mar 2013 13:47 #577361 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic AMA on speed channel
I just got home from the track. I was there camping in the infield for a week. What a blast.

No one sits in the grand stands they are all infield, all 19 of us B)

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Last edit: 17 Mar 2013 13:47 by Kawickrice.