Z1 ent site still hard to use?

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Dec 2012 13:27 #561878 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Z1 ent site still hard to use?
Jeff thank you for being patient and answering these questions

this is all good imo

good for you guys

good for customers

I know in this one click world , i get bored/in a hurry and re google at work for stuff...say like a car wash wand for work/ flower pot saucer tray,two orders this week......so if i'm on the site and struggle, i google and it takes me away from the first site that i struggled at ...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2012 13:58 #561882 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Z1 ent site still hard to use?

trianglelaguna wrote: Jeff thank you for being patient and answering these questions

this is all good imo

good for you guys

good for customers

I know in this one click world , i get bored/in a hurry and re google at work for stuff...say like a car wash wand for work/ flower pot saucer tray,two orders this week......so if i'm on the site and struggle, i google and it takes me away from the first site that i struggled at ...

I think this is good - very good... it gives us a chance to get inside the minds of our customers (although on second thoughts that's sounds a little too scary :) ).

Some of the issues raised have been there for a long time - and we will work to fix all the search terms we can.

As we have grown, the search terms become more and more crucial. We've expended from just 100's products when we started the old web site, to 5,000+ products now and I can see there being 10,000+ products within a few years.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
07 Dec 2012 15:53 #561888 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Z1 ent site still hard to use?

KZJOE900 wrote: Jeff, here is an example I ran into when ordering a new front cam chain guide for my KZ900. And the site is still working this way.

If I search by "KZ900 front cam chain guide"; no hits
If I search by "front cam chain guide" instead; I get one hit, but it gives me the 15380-1048 guide for a KZ1000J model.
If I search by "cam chain guide"; I get 8 hits, and it contains the one I'm looking for.
If I search by "KZ900 cam chain guide"; I get one hit which is the part I was looking for.

I suppose in retrospect, I should have used "cam chain guide" from the beginning. Eight hits is not bad. But I have no idea how man hits to expect if I keep my search term broad. That is why I like to include "KZ900"

So I had to go down the tree by mode->engine and go through pages of engine parts to find it instead.

So it sounds like you search based on the description witch makes sense. But if that's the case, every description should have at least the model name as one of the tags. Here is the description from the part I wanted:

"PM72-065 - Cam Chain Guide Z1 KZ900/1000

- Equivalent to OEM: 12053-019, 12053-001 - Fits Kawasaki Z1 KZ900 KZ1000A1/A2/A2A/A3/A3A/A4, KZ1000B1-B4, KZ1000C1/C1A/C2/C3/C4/D1/D3, KZ1000E1/E2/G1 Genuine Kawasaki part. Do not use an Allen bolt to secure this, the head may catch on the sprocket. Use thread lock sealant to secure the bolt. "

Funny enough it contains KZ900, cam, chain and guide. I guess because it didn't contain the "front" (which was part of my search) it didn't find it. I use the term based on the parts manual.
One way to get around it is to have the search return, let say a max of 50 hits, that have at least one of the search terms in it. But order the list by relevance. So for example, the hit that has all five of my search terms (KZ900 front cam chain guide) would be at the top of the list and so on.

Obtained part number from kawasaki.com, searched it on Z1E, and Shazam.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
07 Dec 2012 16:35 - 07 Dec 2012 16:36 #561894 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Z1 ent site still hard to use?

Patton wrote:

KZJOE900 wrote: Jeff, here is an example I ran into when ordering a new front cam chain guide for my KZ900. And the site is still working this way.

If I search by "front cam chain guide" instead; I get one hit, but it gives me the 15380-1048 guide for a KZ1000J model.
If I search by "cam chain guide"; I get 8 hits, and it contains the one I'm looking for.
If I search by "KZ900 cam chain guide"; I get one hit which is the part I was looking for.

I suppose in retrospect, I should have used "cam chain guide" from the beginning. Eight hits is not bad. But I have no idea how man hits to expect if I keep my search term broad. That is why I like to include "KZ900"

So I had to go down the tree by mode->engine and go through pages of engine parts to find it instead.

So it sounds like you search based on the description witch makes sense. But if that's the case, every description should have at least the model name as one of the tags. Here is the description from the part I wanted:

- Equivalent to OEM: 12053-019, 12053-001 - Fits Kawasaki Z1 KZ900 KZ1000A1/A2/A2A/A3/A3A/A4, KZ1000B1-B4, KZ1000C1/C1A/C2/C3/C4/D1/D3, KZ1000E1/E2/G1 Genuine Kawasaki part. Do not use an Allen bolt to secure this, the head may catch on the sprocket. Use thread lock sealant to secure the bolt. "

Funny enough it contains KZ900, cam, chain and guide. I guess because it didn't contain the "front" (which was part of my search) it didn't find it. I use the term based on the parts manual.
One way to get around it is to have the search return, let say a max of 50 hits, that have at least one of the search terms in it. But order the list by relevance. So for example, the hit that has all five of my search terms (KZ900 front cam chain guide) would be at the top of the list and so on.

Obtained part number from kawasaki.com, searched it on Z1E, and Shazam.

Agreed, Patton. But then we are talking two websites and two searches. I don't mind doing that myself, but others would not find it practical. I think the system should be able to retrieve matches based on a list of relevance as priority. Just like you do when you search eBay or Google. In my example, by adding a word to the search term ("front") it eliminated any hits as opposed to just giving me the next best match of the search terms I used.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 07 Dec 2012 16:36 by KZJOE900.

More
07 Dec 2012 17:06 #561897 by Jeff.Saunders

We did tweak the product description to include 'front'. That specific part has been on our web site for 7+ years - and in that time we'd never thought about adding front to the search terms.... so every day brings something new to revise...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Dec 2012 18:33 #561908 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Z1 ent site still hard to use?
that last example is kinda what i meant by "i dont know how these sites get set up" it must be a drag to try and guess what ten different people call "side cover"--body panel--electrical panel cover--side panel--emblem cover--- i cant imagine the different names for something like that kawasaki plastic emblem that covers the brake splitter on the lower triple tree...which by the way is more parts "names" brake splitter/junction/triple tree...it must never end for someone trying to produce a fluid system to search for buyers.....

i always enter kz when i do a quick bike search in kawasaki on ebay....only to find later that there were some nice bikes not shown in the "kz" results....

I felt bad when i was building my MKII to have to call Rob @ Z1ent on every order ...he was always more than cool...i just felt dumb to need help finding stuff....bothersome by the 5-10th call/order

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
07 Dec 2012 18:45 #561912 by Jeff.Saunders

trianglelaguna wrote: ...I felt bad when i was building my MKII to have to call Rob @ Z1ent on every order ...he was always more than cool...i just felt dumb to need help finding stuff....bothersome by the 5-10th call/order

Calling isn't a problem... without callers Mike, Rob and Chris would be without a job...

It is a challenge figuring out what everyone calls an item. It's even worse when you add in the international flavor/flavour.

Fender is Mudguard, Wiring Loom for the harness... ugh... even between the OEM's the terms change - Carb Holders, Insulators, Hoses - all used for the rubber part between the carbs and the head.

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
07 Dec 2012 19:01 #561916 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Z1 ent site still hard to use?
Even Betty Crocker has a test kitchen. Consider yourselves Z1 Beta Testers. Do you get any money for this? No. But on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So you'll have that going for you. Which is nice!

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
07 Dec 2012 19:24 #561922 by Patton
Betty Crocker can't seem to find a back rear rearward posterior cam chain guide for her KZ900. :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Dec 2012 19:45 - 08 Dec 2012 10:15 #561926 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Z1 ent site still hard to use?

Jeff.Saunders wrote:

trianglelaguna wrote: ...I felt bad when i was building my MKII to have to call Rob @ Z1ent on every order ...he was always more than cool...i just felt dumb to need help finding stuff....bothersome by the 5-10th call/order

Calling isn't a problem... without callers Mike, Rob and Chris would be without a job...

It is a challenge figuring out what everyone calls an item. It's even worse when you add in the international flavor/flavour.

Fender is Mudguard, Wiring Loom for the harness... ugh... even between the OEM's the terms change - Carb Holders, Insulators, Hoses - all used for the rubber part between the carbs and the head.

Jeff,
I don't envy you or anyone who needs to try to put together a database that contains names of parts. Even Kawasaki uses different names for parts within the same parts diagram. Notice in the Kawasaki.com KZ650-C1 diagram below, the left carb holder (#15) is a "DUCT,ENGINE INTAKE" while the right carb holder (#21) is a "HOLDER,CARB,R.H", and I'll bet they use other names on other diagrams. It makes building the database more difficult than it should be, so it's great that you offer outstanding telephone service to fill in the gaps. Ed

Attachment 00000_2012-12-07.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Dec 2012 10:15 by 650ed.

More
07 Dec 2012 20:26 - 07 Dec 2012 21:32 #561934 by Patton
Betty Crocker says she'll donate a freshly baked dozen of her extra nice total consciousnesses Beta test cookies to anyone who posts a pic of her KZ900's rear back rearward posterior cam chain guide. And if the part number is also included, will be a true baker's deathbed dozen.

But not to Ed, who she still blames for dumping her off the BSA after she helped him put together today's vast Limey parts names database. And she won't answer his calls.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Dec 2012 21:32 by Patton.

More
07 Dec 2012 20:29 #561937 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Z1 ent site still hard to use?
:laugh: :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)