78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2012 10:22 #538753 by Calico
Replied by Calico on topic Ridin in the Rain
Reading alot of good stuff here. The only thing that I can add atm is if you don't use a backpack and are in an area that gets random weather, I'd look into getting some sort of small bike pack with all the emergency needs: small tool kit, flat repair, tiny led flashlight that you could hold in your teeth, etc. Getting stranded sux and rain doesn't turn it into mai tai's and yahtzee. Best to be a little prepared.

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

More
27 Jul 2012 00:23 #538916 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Ridin in the Rain
Same thing as riding in dirt in the rain, just less exaggerated. Take it a little easier and watch out for the front end slipping out under braking (especially in turns). Stay away from oil slicks and painted lines as others have said

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

More
27 Jul 2012 00:30 #538917 by Kevin STP
Replied by Kevin STP on topic Ridin in the Rain
I used to work a second job and commercial sandblasting was part of it with minimal protective gear,I wouldn't consider riding without a helmet,usually with a full face shield.They have been chip coating quite a few roads in my area and for added pleasure it maximum bug season.I will remount my windscreen when I come up with a better way to mount the front turn signals as they interfere as is.
A couple of near misses with 4 wheeled cellphones have made glad that I was cautious and aware.Cape Cod is a busy place full of distracted drivers and rain really increases the pucker factor.I have been on a couple dirt roads to experiment with loose traction and was suprised at how far I can slide locking up the rear brake at even low speed(20mph).With me and a full tank it's close to 800lbs,a big difference from My old Suzuki 250 with huge knobbies.Back then my Dad,who used to race at Laconia told that I should practice laying it down with control to avoid panic when I pushed it to far,Learn the limits-Wear the right gear and you be more able to make a life saving decision.

83 Spectre 750

More
27 Jul 2012 13:08 #538998 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Ridin in the Rain
At what speed will a motorcycle hydroplane?

When I get caught in the rain, I try to avoid puddles. My rain riding gear is a slightly wetter version of my dry riding gear.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
27 Jul 2012 13:20 #539003 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic Ridin in the Rain

djturnz wrote: At what speed will a motorcycle hydroplane?

When I get caught in the rain, I try to avoid puddles. My rain riding gear is a slightly wetter version of my dry riding gear.

On that note, I once went through what I thought was a puddle on a dirtbike at pretty good speed. Turned out to be waist deep and deep water slows you down better than brakes, which I learned while going over the bars and taking a bath.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
27 Jul 2012 13:28 #539006 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Ridin in the Rain

Kevin STP wrote: I used to work a second job and commercial sandblasting was part of it with minimal protective gear,I wouldn't consider riding without a helmet,usually with a full face shield.They have been chip coating quite a few roads in my area and for added pleasure it maximum bug season.I will remount my windscreen when I come up with a better way to mount the front turn signals as they interfere as is.
A couple of near misses with 4 wheeled cellphones have made glad that I was cautious and aware.Cape Cod is a busy place full of distracted drivers and rain really increases the pucker factor.I have been on a couple dirt roads to experiment with loose traction and was suprised at how far I can slide locking up the rear brake at even low speed(20mph).With me and a full tank it's close to 800lbs,a big difference from My old Suzuki 250 with huge knobbies.Back then my Dad,who used to race at Laconia told that I should practice laying it down with control to avoid panic when I pushed it to far,Learn the limits-Wear the right gear and you be more able to make a life saving decision.

If you plan to practice laying down your street bike make out your will first and get hefty life and health insurance policies. :blink: What you could do is find a very large empty parking lot and very carefully see how your bike reacts in the rain and in dry weather. Be sure to practice dry and wet. Keep in mind that 80% of your stopping power comes from the front brake, so use it generously on dry pavement. But also be aware that it can slide on wet or oily pavement, so the key to stopping safely under those conditions is to allow plenty of space between you and anything up front and don't go faster than is prudent. Also, understand it is important that you keep high quality tires in excellent condition on your bike. I've seen folks with worn out tires riding on the street. The first time they get caught in the rain they are in for a nasty surprise. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Jul 2012 13:31 #539008 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Ridin in the Rain

650ed wrote:
Paint stripes on the road are slippery when they get wet so use caution when riding on or crossing them.

Same goes for manhole covers and setts (cobblestones).

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
27 Jul 2012 15:41 #539036 by Kevin STP
Oh no I ain't layin down my bike,just gettin a feel for loose traction and how quickly it brakes loose.The parking lot idea is a good one.I do have look into tires.The current ones are 4+yrs old,good tread but I read that the Macadams suck.

83 Spectre 750

More
27 Jul 2012 15:49 #539040 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Ridin in the Rain
I had Macadams on my bike and was not impressed. I now have Pirelli Sport Demons and I really like them a lot! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Jul 2012 14:43 #539393 by Kevin STP
Thanks for all the info,I do plan on tire replacement but upcoming shoulder surgery may slow things down for the rest of the summer.

83 Spectre 750