Ridin in the Rain

More
25 Jul 2012 18:31 #538604 by Kevin STP
Ridin in the Rain was created by Kevin STP
I am new to street riding this summer and am a bit nervous about riding in the rain.My past experience is with dirt bikes 30+ yrs. ago and rain was a bonus event.I am looking for tips and info to be safe.I have heard that the first few minutes are the slickest before oils and such wash off.My Spectre is fitted with Michlein Macadam tires any suggestions on a better tire?

83 Spectre 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2012 18:55 #538611 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Ridin in the Rain
A couple tips:

Paint stripes on the road are slippery when they get wet so use caution when riding on or crossing them.

Do not ride in the center of a lane; try to ride where the car tires normally contact the road. The reason is that oil dripping from cars generally lands in the center of the lane and accumulates. Once the road get wet the oil can get really slick. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Jul 2012 19:07 - 25 Jul 2012 19:08 #538612 by kzcurt
Replied by kzcurt on topic Ridin in the Rain
my suggestion would be "first few minutes' is probably way longer if ever i would venture to the center of a lane during the rain. also depending on what you drive brakes can get funny when wet (my old kz's discs don't even slow the bike down when wet! :woohoo:
and eyes windshield no problem if not it pretty hard to see in the rain anywhere close to dusk or dawn...

2 cents done

Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,
Last edit: 25 Jul 2012 19:08 by kzcurt.

More
25 Jul 2012 19:24 #538615 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic Ridin in the Rain
slow down
remain in control
keep visor clear
if it gets real heavy stop
wait it out
it can suck but just adapt according to conditions
as long as you feel comfortable ride
if youre unsure just stop until you feel comfortable again
if youre 5 miles away from shelter slow down and deal with being uncomfortable
and make it there in one piece
if youre in the middle of nowhere stop and wait it out
best advice is SLOW DOWN!!
5mph is better then no mph

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ250LTD, wireman

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
25 Jul 2012 19:31 #538617 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Ridin in the Rain
All the above plus rubber crack fill turns to grease in the rain.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
25 Jul 2012 19:52 #538622 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Ridin in the Rain
Same concept as driving a car in the snow. Double the amount of space/time that you need to do things(turn, stop). I like to get a little tire in the rain myself:woohoo:

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
25 Jul 2012 19:52 #538623 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Ridin in the Rain
If your bike acts up when it gets wet, here's some troubleshooting ideas:

Troubleshooting A Wet Motorcycle (Won’t Start/Run)

1. When motorcycles get wet, many things can happen to prevent normal starting and running.

2. Ignition coils, due to their mounting location under the gas tank, can overheat if sufficient air flow is not provided causing minute cracks for moisture to get in shorting the coil.

3. Sparkplugs wires and caps need to be replaced as the heat from the engine makes the wires(High Tension Leads) get brittle causing the insulation to fail. The caps contain a resistor to limit the RFI(the snap and pop heard on radio’s) that will fail, again from heat/age. They can be checked with a multimeter ,and will test at 5000 ohms.

4. Most Japanese motorcycle electrical connectors are open at the rear, letting in moisture, that will collect on the male and female pins/sockets
causing a short, blowing a fuse or creating corrosion limiting current flow.

5.Check the right handlebar switch pod for signs of corrosion or broken wires on the run/stop switch. Some older Kawasaki’s are experiencing broken/crumbled solder joints in switches. If needed, I have a repair procedure, just ask.

6. I recommend buying a spray can of “De-oxit” electrical contact cleaner/preservative available at Radio Shack Stores in the U.S. or any other electronic supply store. www.deoxit.com is their website.

7. I’d advise not using WD-40 on any electrical connection/fuse clips as it over time becomes a non conductor(more like an insulator).

8. If the popular “Pods” type air filter is used and gets wet, it will act like having the choke on causing a very rich condition. The only repair for wet pods is to remove them and either using an oven set at 250 F, a wet/dry shop vac to vacuum the moisture from the filters, or a air nozzle at low pressure to blow the water away.

9. Use caution when using an air nozzle, as at high pressure, the fabric of the filter medium may tear making the filter unusable.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 Jul 2012 23:04 #538679 by Kevin STP
Replied by Kevin STP on topic Ridin in the Rain
Thanks everyone,As I said having only been on the street for a few weeks I'm cautious.Besides I have learned the difference between risky and reckless! This bike is much heavier than I'm used to and having bit by bit improved the bike I am starting to get comfortable.

83 Spectre 750

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 Jul 2012 23:11 #538682 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Ridin in the Rain
Find a shop that does sand blasting and stand there next to the guy doing it out back without a hood or coat on,building up your tolerance as you go!
In my experiance thats how it feels riding without a helmet in the rain. :sick: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
25 Jul 2012 23:36 #538690 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic Ridin in the Rain
B)

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
25 Jul 2012 23:44 #538692 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Ridin in the Rain
use more back brake than normal. if the rear slides , its easier to control a rear slide than the front. do the same when riding on gravel or sandy roads.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
26 Jul 2012 01:09 #538718 by kzcurt
Replied by kzcurt on topic Ridin in the Rain

wireman wrote: Find a shop that does sand blasting and stand there next to the guy doing it out back without a hood or coat on,building up your tolerance as you go!
In my experiance thats how it feels riding without a helmet in the rain. :sick: :woohoo:

or like ridin behind a truck after fresh chip seal has been put down on the road!! :woohoo:

Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman