Just wondering why...........?

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 Mar 2012 10:56 #507162 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Just wondering why...........?
I grew up with my Mom owning a tricked out for the time 69 Honda 750. B) It was all we had for grocery getting and basic transportation. I have fond memories of the Honda 750 and I am sure others do to, just like the Kaw.

Since the SOHC Honda was topped by the DOHC Kawi upon arrival on the market the Honda was second fiddle. Since the Honda was not the fastest it was made to be the coolest by the diehards. :P

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
01 Mar 2012 11:24 #507168 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Just wondering why...........?

Old Man Rock wrote: Gorgeous.... :blink:

Now for the 1000 dollar question, anyone really give a rats ass... Naw... ;)

Fast forward this pic straight to Chit Chat. Baby OMR's got a new ride!

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
01 Mar 2012 14:31 #507193 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic Just wondering why...........?
Who here can dig up the article that shows that Kawasaki had a delayed introduction back in 1969 when Honda released the CB750 just before Kawasaki released their Z2?? (Trick Question)

And not wanting to be One Upped by Honda, released the Reworked Z2, as a Z1 903cc in 1973.

Who here remembers when APE Jay was Knocking out +6 Over front ends for CB750's and starting out the in the Motorcycle Parts Manufacturing industry, converting from the Aerospace/Aviation industry?

Who here has seen the Bike of the Month actually get changed on a Monthly basis?

Click----> SOHC

More
03 Mar 2012 12:18 #507538 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Just wondering why...........?
A few things:

As far as CBs being the most prevalent bikes with the cafe' set well thats not entirely true. Some people think that every cafe racer out there is a CB750 but nothing could be further from the truth. The 750s tend to be revered for the most part and most are restored to original or mildly modified. I happened across a little 73 550k last spring and it became one of the coolest projects that I ever tackled . In looking for parts and advice, I delved pretty deep into the whole cafe scene and I'm amazed at how diverse the bikes and styles are, with small bore bikes (under 500cc) being the most common project. You'll see CB, KZ, CL, CX, XS, GL, RD, KH, XL, XR, TT, etc etc etc. Just about every bike you can imagine.

No matter what flavor bike you fancy, it all comes down to the passion of the whole motorcycling experience. I've had my KZ for close to 30 years and I love it but I also love my little CB for it's light weight, amazing handling and baddass cool looks.......just the way I built it!

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
03 Mar 2012 13:48 #507546 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Just wondering why...........?
Nice!

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
03 Mar 2012 15:16 #507553 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Just wondering why...........?

Kraz1 wrote: Who here has seen the Bike of the Month actually get changed on a Monthly basis?

That's a trick question! Everyone knows that it is actually "Bike of the Year"! :laugh:

KD9JUR

• Medicontheloose
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2012 15:37 #507555 by Medicontheloose
Replied by Medicontheloose on topic Just wondering why...........?

roy-b-boy-b wrote: Nice!

Very! Thanks for those pics. Great looking bike.

"That others may live."

1980 KZ750E

More
03 Mar 2012 16:01 #507557 by Roca
Replied by Roca on topic Just wondering why...........?
I just bought my first kz. I'm glad I did too. It's a 1980 kz550 and it is a fast little dude. Although I like the cafe builds mine is set upwith Harley parts for a cruiser style. Either way I believe these vintage laws are superior to the hondas!

1980 KZ550-C2 LTD Custom

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
03 Mar 2012 17:51 #507571 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic Just wondering why...........?

TerryK wrote: A few things:

As far as CBs being the most prevalent bikes with the cafe' set well thats not entirely true. Some people think that every cafe racer out there is a CB750 but nothing could be further from the truth. The 750s tend to be revered for the most part and most are restored to original or mildly modified. I happened across a little 73 550k last spring and it became one of the coolest projects that I ever tackled . In looking for parts and advice, I delved pretty deep into the whole cafe scene and I'm amazed at how diverse the bikes and styles are, with small bore bikes (under 500cc) being the most common project. You'll see CB, KZ, CL, CX, XS, GL, RD, KH, XL, XR, TT, etc etc etc. Just about every bike you can imagine.

No matter what flavor bike you fancy, it all comes down to the passion of the whole motorcycling experience. I've had my KZ for close to 30 years and I love it but I also love my little CB for it's light weight, amazing handling and baddass cool looks.......just the way I built it!

really nice lookin' bike Terry! ...really dig that exhaust and original tank paint scheme. Here's mine
Attachments:

More
03 Mar 2012 23:39 #507627 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Just wondering why...........?
I like all the old bikes except Harley or anything that reminds me of one, however Cafe racer is just another word for junk, wrecked and otherwise abused to me. Why mutilate a KZ, why mutilate a CB, why a GS suzuki? why an old H2? Seems like most are broke beyond bringing back to a useful life so transformed into the "cafe". Real joke to me. I'd be 10x happier to see them in the salvage yard than looking the way they do. Sorry, opinions vary I suppose. Not in the happy mood tonight I'm afraid so appologys in advance to all that enjoy mutilating equipment, whether it a Ford, Toyota, John Deere, Kawasaki or anything else out there x1000.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
04 Mar 2012 00:09 #507634 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Just wondering why...........?
Recently, (last 5 years or so) I've been seeing a lot of 70's and 80's Goldwings cafe'd out. Now that is a sight to see. I know Ron won't like it, but I think it puts a very new perspective on the Goldwing, because for once, the motor is very visible, and becomes the prominent feature of the bike. I'm not a huge Goldwing fan, but that motor sure does look nice when it's got it's makeup on.

More
04 Mar 2012 00:20 #507639 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic Just wondering why...........?
Ron wakes up on the wrong side of the Bed some days, and just doesn't like himself either... :laugh: