Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 11:27 #540462

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 2017

kzcurt wrote: Im ready! even took the little bike to a 'cruise in' last night, great time. there was a sparkle green 74 kz900 there , I'm hoping to have got a picture.
and next weekend works best for me ??? I'm ok to meet you guys Sunday afternoon as the next two weekends get really busy...
I would believe that its under the listing of Yankee Springs state park where the pin is, Should be nice place for pics but might be busy as its supposed to be hot!!

OK Kurt
I will try for a Saturday Morning Run to Flint with Will and Beg Mama to let me ride out Sunday to the Gun Lake Park to meet you and Harm. I will get my answer tonite and let you all know if I can get paroled. LOL

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 13:07 #540484

• Bear1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm as ready as I can be. Changed my front tire yesterday, took it about four miles to see how the new rubber felt. Cruising along at sixty, saw a brown dog on the side of the road. No,two dogs. The next thing I felt was the rear end skid and then I heard the tire squeal. At this point I realized I was standing on the rear brake. My foot reacted before my head because it wasn't till this point that I thought "oh shit those aren't dogs". Deer look big when they run out in front of you. My tire tapped her back leg. Surprisingly that was my only reaction. Fortunately I wasn't two feet further forward, or I would have had a face full of hair, and not the good kind. Be careful out there everyone.
Street fighter and renthorin I sent you pm's
'82 750 LTD

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 13:24 #540489

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Bear1 wrote: I'm as ready as I can be. Changed my front tire yesterday, took it about four miles to see how the new rubber felt. Cruising along at sixty, saw a brown dog on the side of the road. No,two dogs. The next thing I felt was the rear end skid and then I heard the tire squeal. At this point I realized I was standing on the rear brake. My foot reacted before my head because it wasn't till this point that I thought "oh shit those aren't dogs". Deer look big when they run out in front of you. My tire tapped her back leg. Surprisingly that was my only reaction. Fortunately I wasn't two feet further forward, or I would have had a face full of hair, and not the good kind. Be careful out there everyone.
Street fighter and renthorin I sent you pm's

Sounds like you need to practice using that front brake. The front provides about 80% of your braking capability. ;) Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 13:54 #540494

• Bear1
  • User
Sounds like you need to practice using that front brake. The front provides about 80% of your braking capability. Ed

Actually I was kind of happy I didn't grab the front brake. I was able to steer to the right. It wouldn't have been as easy if the front tire wasn't rolling.
'82 750 LTD

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 14:42 #540506

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109

Bear1 wrote: Sounds like you need to practice using that front brake. The front provides about 80% of your braking capability. Ed

Actually I was kind of happy I didn't grab the front brake. I was able to steer to the right. It wouldn't have been as easy if the front tire wasn't rolling.

Trust me on this one. u can stop waaaaay faster with the front brake, and u would not have hit the deer.
For your own safety, try to get the brain to react with front brakes first, not back brakes first.
when we race at the track we dont use the back brake.
Live long my friend. :)
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 15:04 #540511

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
I would lime suggest some reading material to you.
"Twist the throttle2". It discusses riding theory and practices.
Lots of great tips to keep you alive on the bike.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 16:50 #540537

• kzcurt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
I think the 'practice' was the point. just getting to know how much u can squeeze it without locking it up....and then being able to do that 'reactionary' with out locking up or having to even think about it. next time it may be bigger like a car and closer. you want to react with both brakes obviously to stop in the shortest distance and your back brake only will not do it..I'm sure like me, most have been in this situation :woohoo: I will a lot of time, if no ones behind me slam brakes coming to a stop sign just to see what reaction i can expect... be CAREFUL EVERYONE I had to slam brakes riding with my wife last night 3 deer crossed in front of me an 6 still on the side of the road waiting to bolt in front of me :S

Sounds like you need to practice using that front brake. The front provides about 80% of your braking capability. ;) Ed[/quote]
Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 16:50 #540538

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 2017
OK Cleared it with the War Department :woohoo:
Will and Bear 1 Saturday Morning works best to pickup the flag, Then Will, can you and I go Sunday morning to meet Kurt and Harm at Gun Lake around Noon ?
Not worried about my bike , but my old body is gonna need a few stops inroute. Hope this meets with all concerned schedule wise. Now we just need to pray to the Gods for fair weather. Im getting excited :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 16:57 #540540

• Bear1
  • User
Not arguing. This wasn't a situation where stopping was a problem. I was going past houses and wasn't expecting deer. It was more situational awareness, or lack of it. I normally look ahead far enough to see them. In this case I was looking down and didn't notice them. The engine was just purring, I was having one of those "hell yes" moments. Then of course it was followed by "oh crap".
But yes, I always have more to learn. Thanks.
'82 750 LTD

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 17:27 #540543

• kzcurt
  • User

Street Fighter LTD wrote: OK Cleared it with the War Department :woohoo:
Will and Bear 1 Saturday Morning works best to pickup the flag, Then Will, can you and I go Sunday morning to meet Kurt and Harm at Gun Lake around Noon ?
Not worried about my bike , but my old body is gonna need a few stops inroute. Hope this meets with all concerned schedule wise. Now we just need to pray to the Gods for fair weather. Im getting excited :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Only know One...? but Ill pray to him! :laugh:
Cant wait! hope I have stickers by then, or you guys can give me address's an i'll send some to you after we meet up, if they haven't. :cheer: :cheer:
Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 18:02 #540549

• ramtough_63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
Sorry guys I been building a website and only popping in and skimming the first page of recent posts not sure where it came up we were running short on stickers I will get them out in the morning to KZCURT

how many riders before it gets to southern Indiana??
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 03 Aug 2012 18:35 #540558

• kzcurt
  • User
5-6 pre fort wayne that i can think of. (once it hit the states again)
I will be meeting with all of them and the hand off person in fort wayne too...
Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,