Anyone heard of BikeSnob? Houston guys take note.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
02 Oct 2011 09:53 #480911 by Proxy
My uncle was 6'9", he rode with a few of groups who wore the "colors". Not as a member but as an invitee. I guarrandamntee anyone who saw him thought him in possession of a freak gene and a BA. I had the pleasure of seeing him riding a KZ550 LTD and almost laughed. Luckily I didn't and that is why I am still alive today. Not really. He was a pretty good guy while I knew him but my father said he was nothing but bad trouble when he was younger. My father was normal sized but short fused a bit. Worse I remember about him was beating a cop car with a baseball bat and the cop standing there with his jaw on his chest. Pop lived with my uncle for a few weeks until my mom cooled off. I will not forget him on that 550 tho. So you are right. You never know. Me I'm normal...go figure. :huh: We have a bike night here that usually attracts 100-150 on a Tuesday night at a burger joint. The cliks hang together but it's a pretty well behaved group. No deaths...yet. But then again no booze either. Might be something in that. Hope your experience turns out good. Certainly worth trying out. I didn't get to this one too much this year. Everyone wanted to talk about my dad and my uncle and I was not ready yet. Next year I will go more it is fun and you get to see some incredible bikes and hear some great stories.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
02 Oct 2011 18:47 #481016 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Anyone heard of BikeSnob? Houston guys take note.

Mcdroid wrote: It's about time...I had sort of given up on any activity like 'bikesnob' in Houston. For being the fourth largest US city...there is almost no organized antique/collector motorcycle activity. Even the traveling motorcycle shows (e.g. hosted by Progressive and formerly by Cycle World) have dropped Houston as a venue. The local VJMC group folded...lack of interest.

Very true. I have always been discouraged by the lack of sensible MC organizations around the Houston Metro. Granted, I have only been here for 5 years now, but it always seemed to me that there should be at least one group here that focuses on vintage bikes. You should really try and come out to one of their meetings. It was almost all Kawasaki amongst the vintage bikes. Oh by the way, this is the same spot where the Nifty Fifties car show happens every Saturday night. If you can't find enough bikes to keep you interested, then there was a whole parking lot full of classic cars to drool over. I saw one whole row that was pure 427 Shelby Cobras. Needless to say, I was in Heaven.

Finally, as to the motives of this organization. They seem to be pure. I spoke extensively with the organizer, and he says that it's just about vintage bikes of any make. No funny stuff, no death races around loop 610, and no money involved.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2011 18:59 #481021 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Anyone heard of BikeSnob? Houston guys take note.
Pictures anyone?

Triumph Tiger 750.

Attachment IMG_0099.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0112.jpg not found

The guy pulled up on the bike and parked it there for 3 hours. When he went to leave, it fired on the first kick. Not too bad.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2011 19:04 #481031 by testarossa
Here's that little Suzuki. This guy talked faster than Craig. :P He bought the thing off CL in a box, but it actually had a correct title. Pretty rare for something with knobbies to retain a title around here. It looks like a new bike with the exception of the gauge faces. He had all the chrome refinished down to all the hardware and everything.

Attachment IMG_0111.jpg not found

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2011 19:16 #481036 by testarossa
Here's the first of two Z1's. I think he said it was a 73, but I didn't look for the neck tag. It was probably missing anyway. It's hard to tell since it has so much original Z1 stuff missing. This picture makes it look a little better than it really is. This bike is just a survivor, that has been kept on the road my any means necessary. He says it has been all over the lower 48, and I believe it. Cool guy, he helped keep me out of trouble with the car show guys. One of the rent-a-cops that was patrolling the parking lot wanted me to move my bike and kept yelling at me because I guess I couldn't teleport it into the parking space he wanted. It actually got under my skin to the point that I was fixing to do something rash, but thankfully the Z1 crew squeezed me in and helped calm me down.

Attachment IMG_0092.jpg not found

He had to point out his trip odometer. It got to 666.6 miles exactly when his speedo cable broke. He dares not touch the reset dial. It's the Devil's own Z1!

Attachment IMG_0104.jpg not found

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2011 19:20 #481037 by testarossa
Here's the other member of the Z1 crew. This bike is more original, but still needs a lot to be a megabucks bike. I suspect that it won't really ever get there from talking to the owner. Again, the paint, chrome, etc look better in the pics, but it did run well. Another cool guy who helped make a spot for me.

Attachment IMG_0093.jpg not found

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2011 19:25 #481038 by testarossa
This 78 Z1R belonged to the brother of the guy with the black Z1. Unfortunately, it stalled on him within sight of the show. He finally got it pushed in to the parking lot about 45 minutes before the whole deal ended. Except for the extended swingarm, it looked like it was all there. Another typical survivor where everything needed to be cleaned up.

Attachment IMG_0102.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0103.jpg not found

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2011 19:31 #481039 by testarossa
This KZ400 belongs to the organizer of BikeSnob. IIRC his name is Dave. Anyway, the bike is hospital clean. Fresh, 100% restoration. Like the Suzuki, only the gauge faces remind you that it isn't 1975 any more. He only rides it to the bike nights. Says he's afraid that it would get creamed if he started riding it around regularly.

Attachment IMG_0101.jpg not found

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2011 19:37 #481041 by testarossa
Here's a fuzzy picture of some low-brow 78 KZ1000. :laugh: I had to field a few questions about how everything works on the old girl. Lots of folks would look at my bike, and then the Z1 on either side, wrinkle their brow, and about half of them would come and ask about the mods.

Attachment IMG_0100.jpg not found

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2011 19:37 - 02 Oct 2011 19:38 #481042 by Mcdroid
Thanks for posting the photos! Gives me hope for Houston. How was fishin'?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 02 Oct 2011 19:38 by Mcdroid.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2011 19:41 #481043 by testarossa
Here's the star of the show IMO. To top it off the owner is a guy that I know of through the Suzuki forum. This guy has a nice collection of bikes. This thing is very clean, un-restored, garage kept, A++++ big money bike right here. I think it had just over 10,000 miles.

Attachment IMG_0094.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0095.jpg not found

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2011 19:48 #481044 by testarossa

Mcdroid wrote: Thanks for posting the photos! Gives me hope for Houston. How was fishin'?

I should have stayed home. :( At least my son and I shared a good morning together. That's what it's all about.

As for Houston, I know there enough guys here to make this a strong group. Between the guys that I know of on here, GSR, and CB1100F we could have a good turnout. I think that's what we really need is just a chance to meet like minded folks face to face every once in a while. Dave wants to get a local forum going. Which is a move that I totally support. With that said, there were still twice as many custom Harleys there as anything else. That was just incidental to the car show, I think.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN