KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
More
12 Jun 2012 13:16 #528521 by Gary - K7GLD
Replied by Gary - K7GLD on topic KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com

bluej58 wrote: I'd rather see it on a Harley than a UPS truck :blush:

Either one - or both - totally renders pointless the original intent and goal of the entire effort - at least in my humble opinion...

It then just becomes a loosely organized effort to "somehow" move a flag around the country, and from one coast to the other - "Vintage KZ'a" gets lost in the shuffle...

Might as well include a USPS truck, and a generic moped on the project T-shirt...;)

I was earlier criticised for suggesting "cutting our losses" by dropping the project as obstacles kept cropping up in getting various handoff connections accomplished - but, isn't quickly switching from a "All Vintage KZ's", over to Harleys and UPS just another form of "giving up"?

AGAIN, just sayin'...

John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
12 Jun 2012 13:25 #528522 by TomW

KZ_Rage wrote: Once it gets to BlackZ1-R then it goes to Texas and Leg#3 begins however it is running backwards in that leg too so the organizer of leg#3 needs to chime in on what that means for them. That segment from Leg#2 and Leg#3 is between 450-500 miles too.

We can try to keep this going bike to bike without mailing it but the inevitable mailing is going to happen once it gets out of leg#3 into the middle of the country.

I was thinking north to south for leg 2 made more sense all along. I haven't done a lot of organizing yet as plans here are so changeable. If leg 2 ends up in MS then it's 420 miles to Houston. Then leg 3 ends up in MN or the eastern end of ND, there's a HUGE black hole of open country to leg 4 up there. It's "only" 850 miles from Houston or some what less from San Antonio to Albaquerque if leg 3 ends in TX. Either way it's a big jump. That said I would be willing to fill that gap if the timing is right. I go "walkabout" in early August. My route is totally undetermined until I start my bike, but I will end up in NM. I want to be back in WI before the snow flies. What I could do is run the distance of leg 3 or 4 and transfer the flags to riders along the way to carry the flag(s) and get in on the action. That way no one is left out and the flags keep moving without sitting for a week here and a month there. I also get to ride with company. It's more fun that way.

Let me know what y'all think. I want to keep the flags moving on bikes, not postal trucks if possible. I'll be riding my '91 Voyager for the long haul if I think it's ready so it's imperative that Z1's and KZ's meet me along the way. I just want to keep it moving.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

More
12 Jun 2012 13:26 #528523 by hypnohio
In case noone has said it recently, a big thanks to you guys who are figuring all of this out.

1982 KZ440 LTD
2003 EN500 C
2006 Virago 250

More
12 Jun 2012 13:53 #528524 by Topper
A '91 Voyager is OK as a relay rider. This is a Vintage Kawasaki Relay, not a KZ relay. VJMC defines vintage as 20 years or older. So any Kawasaki that is pre-1992 is fair game to carry the flag without question. And anyone can ride along on anything they want. Other bikes as carriers of the flag should be discussed here.

I know there are different opinions on the shipping issue. We all agree that we should keep shipping to a minimum, but the group consensus was that it would be allowed when necessary.

The standard for the relay is that the flag be carried in every state in the lower 48 on a vintage Kawasaki motorcycle. We're going to include as much of Canada as humanly possible too.

Let's leave it there and focus on getting leg 1 connected to leg 2.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
12 Jun 2012 14:01 #528529 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com
Keep up the faith and the Good Work to all involved. Especially the organizers who we couldnt do this without.

THANKYOU ALL

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
12 Jun 2012 14:19 #528535 by BlackZ1R

Topper wrote: A '91 Voyager is OK as a relay rider. This is a Vintage Kawasaki Relay, not a KZ relay. VJMC defines vintage as 20 years or older. So any Kawasaki that is pre-1992 is fair game to carry the flag without question. And anyone can ride along on anything they want. Other bikes as carriers of the flag should be discussed here.

I know there are different opinions on the shipping issue. We all agree that we should keep shipping to a minimum, but the group consensus was that it would be allowed when necessary.

The standard for the relay is that the flag be carried in every state in the lower 48 on a vintage Kawasaki motorcycle. We're going to include as much of Canada as humanly possible too.

Let's leave it there and focus on getting leg 1 connected to leg 2.

Actually this is a KZ relay as far as I recall in the second post of this thread. We are on KZRider, not VintageKawiRider. :pinch: :P
Hey,don't take that the wrong way Topper.
Are there any "rules" stating this is for all Vintage Kawis? I was under the impression this was for all KZs.

I'm with StreetFighter. Thanks for all the behind the scenes work that has gone into this effort. I'm willing to ride the 500 miles or whatever it takes.
Streetfighter has a suggestion that the guys in the North ride now while the weather is good.
What I don't know is if it takes till August to get down here, we're looking at 100+ heat on an old Kaw. Tejas would be 110+ :(
As long as you guys up Nawth of the Mason/Dixon aren't in the snow, you're good right?

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
12 Jun 2012 14:24 #528536 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com
Us Yankees can just put chains on and be good to go !!!
BlackZ1R and I shared some thoughts on a PM about having the relay head west across the Northern land mass toward the Pacific then head South as needed due to Fall or Winter, But it was just to Gearheads shooting the S it..

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
More
12 Jun 2012 14:32 #528538 by Gary - K7GLD
Replied by Gary - K7GLD on topic KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com
In terms of keeping movement and enthusiasm up, too bad we didn't simultaneously start flags from BOTH coasts, to meet somewhere like Kansas City - a sort of "KZ's East meets West" ride/relay. Get lots more rider activity and morale - if one side stalls for a bit, we'd still have the other one (maybe!) moving.

Wonder if it's too late? B)

John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD

More
12 Jun 2012 14:47 #528540 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com
the good thing about this process is its never too late

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
12 Jun 2012 15:15 #528544 by KZJOE900

Gary - K7GLD wrote: In terms of keeping movement and enthusiasm up, too bad we didn't simultaneously start flags from BOTH coasts, to meet somewhere like Kansas City - a sort of "KZ's East meets West" ride/relay. Get lots more rider activity and morale - if one side stalls for a bit, we'd still have the other one (maybe!) moving.

Now that's the best idea I have heard to date! Not sure why it wasn't considered. Never brought up suppose. I guess the coast to coast vision (manifest destiny) had a lot of appeal. But from a time perspective, starting from both coasts would have been more practical.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
12 Jun 2012 17:11 #528558 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com

KZJOE900 wrote:

Gary - K7GLD wrote: In terms of keeping movement and enthusiasm up, too bad we didn't simultaneously start flags from BOTH coasts, to meet somewhere like Kansas City - a sort of "KZ's East meets West" ride/relay. Get lots more rider activity and morale - if one side stalls for a bit, we'd still have the other one (maybe!) moving.

Now that's the best idea I have heard to date! Not sure why it wasn't considered. Never brought up suppose. I guess the coast to coast vision (manifest destiny) had a lot of appeal. But from a time perspective, starting from both coasts would have been more practical.

Hate to put a damper on things, but the term "manifest destiny" is extremely insulting to some folks, mostly of Native America descent. I got a lecture one time not too long ago... Otherwise, it sounds like a great idea!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
12 Jun 2012 19:05 - 12 Jun 2012 22:43 #528591 by KZ_Rage
Wow! Ok, this is getting all over the place here.

If there is going to be a second flag coming from the west then that is up to everyone to put in their opinion I guess. Even if there is a second flag coming from the west the likelihood that the west flag will have to be mailed is still pretty great. In either case the chances of this getting completed in 2012 depends on the number of riders and their time to move it no matter if there is just one or two flags. Even with two the odds of this getting done this year are about the same as if there is only one, I'd say at best 50/50.

If two flags then why not 3 or 4? The Canadians could run one across the great white north before it actually is the great white north! The boys in the south could run another one so as to avoid the 100°+ temps. Four flags would have this done before August! Is that the point? To just get it done?

The point IMHO to not loose track of, is trying to get the flag into as many members hands as possible. Participation was always the main goal, a KZR fellowship that had each rider adding their own name to the same flag so that each subsequent rider had something of the entire KZR fellowship in their hands when it came to them.

The debates over the type of bike, year of bike and all of that are valid discussions that all should have a say in for this relay. Let's just not loose track that we are all in this together with one goal.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)
Last edit: 12 Jun 2012 22:43 by KZ_Rage. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R