Squid stories

More
11 Jun 2011 21:31 - 11 Jun 2011 22:00 #456723 by roy-b-boy-b
Squid stories was created by roy-b-boy-b
Let's tell some stories of when we were young and full of er dumb ( ;) ) In other words when we were squids!!!

Back in 75 or 76 A friend and i rode to Memphis on our bikes. I was riding a Z1A and he was riding a neat CB500 ridgid frame chopper.

We were about 35 miles down the road when he suggested we swap bikes and I then would not be hitting railroad tracks at 80 mph.:laugh:

His chopper was neat,king queen seat with the clothes he took rolled up on the sissy bar and a feather pillow on the seat. When you had your feet on the highway bars your knees were as high as your elbow. Made for a good ride leaned back on the pillow and bag. (unless you hit a railroad crossing at 80mph)

We got into Memphis feeling pretty good with the red bud and budweiser. Checked into the Holiday Inn and got cleaned up for the concert.

This was on July 3 and we were ready to rock to Foreigner and that low life Ted Nugnet.

We deciced to take one bike to the concert in case one got stolen we could get home. We took the Honda while I left mine in a secured garage. ;)

We were feeling really great when we got there and settled in to enjoy some jams.

The bands were taking turns doing sets and I was enjoying the show until the above mentioned low life got on the stage. I had to listen to his potty mouth because I wanted to hear ,"cat scratch fever".

After he got through we were enjoying Foreigner and people started setting off fire works. This was the Mid-South Collesum and it has a domed roof and the rockets would rickashay off the roof and shoot into the crowd!!!

We didn't mind that until one went between us and hit this chick behind us. It exploded and set her clothes on fire.

Time to leave!!!

We went to the parking lot and partied out there and bought discounted "t"shirts.

The the above memtioned low life came by in a limo with his window rolled down and we got to give him a few choice words about him leaving town. :P

We were about wiped out by then and deciced to leave but the bike had a nearly flat front tire.

I told Raymond to ride to a station without me as the front didn't have much weight on it.

Took him a while to get back and when I saw him coming,I strapped on my helmet and as he rolled by real slow,I throwed my leg over the sissy bar. Never had a chance to sit down as he gave the bike some gas and I just did a 360 when the sissy bar hit my foot.

It took him about a hour to figure out I wasn't on back. He told me he asked a question and when I didn't answer he looked back and I had fell off the bike. :ohmy: :laugh:

We got back to the room and sleep heavy until check out time.

Started back and took a tour of downtown.

We were riding in the far right lane and had to merge into the far left lane to get to Hwy.51 North.

About the same time a "65" Impala decided he needed to be in the right hand lane. I met him in the middle lane.

He was driving faster than me and his mirror hit my handle bar,throwing me and the bike into his door. That handle bar went through that door like a can opener.

This caused my bike to catapult me a hundred feet down the road. I done this neet Judo roll and was in a squat position facing the traffic coming at me. The bike was 10 feet off the ground and flew over my head. :sick:

I got to the curve about the time Raymond,the driver of the Impala, and this nice black couple.

My hand was killing me and I was telling Raymond to get the bike off the road.

The driver of the "65" was in about the same state of soberiety as I was and I told him to leave.

I was laying in the gutter in front of the Baptist Hospital.

The couple was trying to get me to go to the hospital and i was trying to Raymond to start the bike so we could leave.

We finally got going after thanking the couple for stopping.

We went North on 51 and were not in the best neighborhood.

Bike was running on two cylinders and I was down to my last cylinder.

We pulled into a gas station that sold beer, :woohoo: and i asked the owner if i could work on my bike and borrow a few tools.

The mirror was history as was the clutch lever. I couldn't use it any ho because my hand was broke.

The points housing was crushed and I finally just removed the broken metal and got the bike firing on all cylinders. This was about six beers into the repair and Raymond,the owner,and i was having a grand time!

My hand felt a lot better and we pulled out for the 150 mile trip home. Took a while to get the start/ stop/ start procedure down. These early bikes would start in gear.

When I got home I went to the emergency room and got some X-Rays.

The doctor told me there was nothing he could do and I had to go to another hospital. I asked for pain meds and he told me if I rode that bike from Memphis I already had something for pain.:(

So i got through the night and went into surgery the next day.

I quess they cut back on the sleep medication while I was having sugery because they couldn't determine what meds I had in my system.

Any way I woke up and the doctor had my hand secured to a board and was drilling a hole through my knuckle to put a pin in it.

I reached over and said,"Whatch that!" He then told the other guy to hit me. I looked to my right and flenched as the guy pushed on the plunger of a needle already in the I.V..

I woke up 14 hours later.

Remind me some time and I will tell you about the parties I had for the next six months while waiting for my hand to heal. :blink:

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
Last edit: 11 Jun 2011 22:00 by roy-b-boy-b.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2011 09:51 #456816 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Squid stories
Boy, You all must live a dull life.

This all happened back when drinking and driving was a national past time.

I personally have not altered my personality with drink on drugs in 18 years. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
12 Jun 2011 12:59 - 12 Jun 2011 13:02 #456829 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Squid stories

roy-b-boy-b wrote: Boy, You all must live a dull life.

This all happened back when drinking and driving was a national past time.

I personally have not altered my personality with drink on drugs in 18 years. Roy

In my case it's not so much a dull life as concern about the Statute of Limitations in this country, and extradition treaties with certain other countries. Discretion being the better part of Valor and all that. :)

Let's just say I know someone that was barreling down a back road in England in 1974 at 95 mph on a Norton 850 while high on hashish and in the middle of a good experience on lsd, who looked at the speedometer and saw 95 mph indicated, only to meet a pigeon flying in the opposite direction face to face when he looked back up again. First thought in his head was why did the Jolly Green Giant smack him in the face with a telephone pole, since to the best of his knowledge he'd never done anything to irritate ol Jolly. Second thought, well, there was no second thought since the entire universe had sort of disappeared, which considering his condition wasn't to surprising.
Reflexes took over and he got on the brakes hard and drug that thing to a stop, somehow even managed to get both feet down so he didn't fall down. Sitting there trying to figure out where he was, what he was, who he was, and even if he was, he felt some pressure, like something laying against his groin. He looked down to see if maybe his face had fallen off, but discovered the wingless body of a pigeon instead. 15 mph for the last 10 miles to the flat he was sharing with a friend.
This guy was a big dude, played as a lineman on the base college level football team, and was in excellent physical condition, probably the only reason his neck didn't break. For years afterward if he was in a car and a bird flew towards the windshield he'd suffer a extreme panic attack.

Or so goes the story he told me anyway B)

And then there were the times he was observed riding back home after a party, laying on the tank with his head turned sideways to see, since he was to drunk to sit up.

All second hand knowledge of course :)
Me, I live a dull life :P

KD9JUR
Last edit: 12 Jun 2011 13:02 by steell.

• AndySlick
  • User
  • Been riding since age 13
More
12 Jun 2011 13:04 #456831 by AndySlick
Replied by AndySlick on topic Squid stories
The forum is a place for questions, not stories.

Read the guidelines again please

More
12 Jun 2011 13:19 - 13 Feb 2012 18:27 #456834 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 18:27 by KZ250LTD.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
12 Jun 2011 14:05 #456838 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Squid stories
Really? That was not too SLICK Andy!

Great story! Reminded me of when my father and my uncle would get together. Belongs in a Chronicles of Motorcycle Stories Book.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

• AndySlick
  • User
  • Been riding since age 13
More
12 Jun 2011 15:01 #456842 by AndySlick
Replied by AndySlick on topic Squid stories
Actually it was pretty slick. Anytime someone takes something seriously enough online to screencap shots, circle things, and paste them to a forum. Just shows what little life they have.

Seriously though, this is a help forum is it not? Why post this crap?

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
12 Jun 2011 16:04 #456849 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Squid stories

AndySlick wrote: Actually it was pretty slick. Anytime someone takes something seriously enough online to screencap shots, circle things, and paste them to a forum. Just shows what little life they have.

Seriously though, this is a help forum is it not? Why post this crap?

Probably because we're a community of friends!

Actually Roy posted this in Chat. I decided that it was a worthy enough topic to be preserved in the Bike Related forum so I moved it. Being a NewBee you might not realize that Chat is purged weekly.

Another thing you're probably not aware of is that until our recent upgrade KZR had a section for Articles and Stories written by the members. The Admin hasn't brought it back yet but it's in the plans.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
12 Jun 2011 16:34 - 12 Jun 2011 16:46 #456855 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Squid stories
There was a story I heard about this guy from Deschutes River Woods who was planning a bike trip to McCall, ID. Now this guy knew his way around dried vegetative matter but he'd never met Alice B. or even studied her cookbook. Still realizing that he couldn't ride and partake in his usual manner he mixed up some brownies telling himself that he'd munch as he rode east. So he did a bunch of riding and a bit of munchin. The first three or four hours were uneventful with no change in his perception so he kept munchin. Somewhere west of Halfway everything changed mostly it was the pavement that started breathing. Up and down, left and right it didn't bother the KZ900, but this guy realized that something had to give or he wouldn't make it back to the woods. So he pulled over there by the side of an irrigation pond and watched the clouds go by till he realized that the shooting stars were way cooler than the clouds.
It was a great trip. Got in the hot springs at White Licks Idaho rode through Cuprum and down the Klienschmidt Grade into Hells Canyon

From there he headed into Oregon across the Oxbow damn near Halfway and made it back to the woods by night fall.

Some how this video looks very familiar, in a hear tell sort of way.

Course I was ridin a KAW

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2011 16:46 by KZQ.

More
12 Jun 2011 17:45 #456865 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Squid stories
Why don't you step back and see where you fit in before you hop on your high horse and end up making an ass out of yourself, Mr AndySlick?:whistle:

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
12 Jun 2011 17:48 - 12 Jun 2011 23:20 #456867 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Squid stories
May those who love us love us,
and those who do not love us,
may God turn their hearts,
and if He cannot turn their hearts
may He turn their ankles
that we may know them by their limping.

Sorry about that limp slick.....:blush:

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts
Last edit: 12 Jun 2011 23:20 by KZQ.

More
12 Jun 2011 18:08 #456872 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Squid stories
After a comment like that you just might not get any of your questions answered by these knowledgeable people...