Crash

More
25 May 2011 23:48 #453624 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Crash
I was wearing a Joe Rocket Atomic jacket and their GP gloves. My helmet was brand new first time I had it on for a ride, HJC full face Helmet with a built in visor. Leather riding boots and a pair of "draggin jeans." I am so grateful I was wearing all that gear. The ER doc told me, That gear saved your life." Worth every penny, I will be buying some new stuff as soon as start riding her again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2011 23:55 #453626 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Crash
I'm sorry about the wreck too, and glad you're not any worse off than you are. i don't mean to be a backseat driver, but I know every wreck I've ever had I probably could have avoided if I had been a little more alert. Someone moves over in your lane, put on the brakes, accelerate, whatever, give them the space. No time for horn or waving your arms, just give them the space. Like I say, no disrespect and just think about how it could have been avoided. Maybe it couldn't, maybe it could, just give it some thought. I know you've ridden a lot of miles so maybe it happened too fast to react. Good luck.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• jacksdad
  • User
  • 1979 kz 750 OUCH, IT SPARKED
More
26 May 2011 00:17 #453632 by jacksdad
Replied by jacksdad on topic Crash
glad you're ok, i useally ridein shorts in a t-shirt, but i think my mind has beed changed, let us know if you need anything, brother

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
26 May 2011 00:53 #453637 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Crash
Good to hear that you are for the most part OK after something like that, the damage is impressive compared to your injuries.

The top of the tank damage is so heavy compared to the right side being nearly untouched, must have tumbled in a peculiar manner for that to happen, wrecks are so chaotic but I guess it is a good thing as it looks like you sure got lucky. Here's to a quick heal up before the summer is gone.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
26 May 2011 01:06 #453640 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Crash
Sorry to hear about your crash. :(
Glad to hear that you only received minor injuries compared to what could have happened. Good luck fixing your bike.

• tybolt99
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
26 May 2011 02:55 #453663 by tybolt99
Replied by tybolt99 on topic Crash
The bike can be repaired or replaced. But you can't be raplaced. Hope you get well soon.

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC

More
26 May 2011 03:14 #453664 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Crash
I'm really sorry to hear about this! Glad you made it through in one piece! Would you recommend the draggin jeans? I've been looking for a pair of Kevlar jeans for awhile now.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
26 May 2011 08:01 - 26 May 2011 08:02 #453670 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Crash
Wow! I'm so sorry to hear of your crash. I have always admired your bike, and I'm sure you'll get it back together in time. Spend your recuperation time sourcing new parts and lobbying against cell phone use in cars. It's gotten so bad here that if I see anyone around me on the phone, I'll hang way back until I see a safe opportunity to get around/away.

Looks to me like you need a fairing, bars, clutch lever, mirror, tank, one of a kind seat, tail, kickstand, and alternator cover. Unfortunately, I don't have any similar parts to offer. Hopefully, your frame and forks are straight. I would bet that they are. The tank slapper that broke your wrist is likely what broke the fork brace as well.

Get well soon.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
Last edit: 26 May 2011 08:02 by testarossa.

More
26 May 2011 08:34 #453676 by catseye
Replied by catseye on topic Crash

testarossa wrote: .....It's gotten so bad here that if I see anyone around me on the phone, I'll hang way back until I see a safe opportunity to get around/away.....

^^this is great advice.

Just one more damn thing to have to scan for, but hey, what ya gonna do.....:angry:

1982 KZ750LTD
1976 BMW R90/6
1982 Honda CBX

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
26 May 2011 09:49 #453685 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Crash
To the guy who rides in shorts and tank top......Are you #$%^&**^$^ crazy? Do you realize the skin grafts he would be going through right now if he had been wearing those? Only one thing more painful is burns. My uncle caught me riding a little woods bike we had around here in shorts and moccasins. He walked right up to me picked me up and sat me on my ass on the ground. He told me if he ever caught me without a helmet, pants and boots on he would flip a coin to decide whether to smash me or the bike. I told my father and he said he's smash whichever was left. Would too. He threw my cell phone out the window of the car while I was driving him to the clinic when I just looked to see who was calling. I wasn't even going to answer the call. Snatched it and hummed it. I saw it in the rearview tumbling and flying apart. Just got the phone about a month before. Get the best riding equipment you can and use it. Baldy will ride again and heal with mild discomfort because he was smart.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
26 May 2011 12:06 #453694 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Crash
Wow, that really sucks. I'm really glad you were wearing all that gear. I know first hand how much difference it makes.

Proxy, more riders need dads and uncles like yours.

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
26 May 2011 15:07 #453707 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Crash
Baldy,
so sorry to hear what happened on your way to the ride. I hope you mend well, and best of luck putting your bike back together...
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P