bolts

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
25 Mar 2011 17:43 #440402 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic bolts
i LUBRICATE EVERY BOLT WITH BLUE LOCKTITE. :)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
25 Mar 2011 17:48 - 25 Mar 2011 17:50 #440404 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic bolts
[/quote] Thereby proving my point. The APE ones are stronger, therefore they can take more load, which is their purpose. They are designed to separate at a higher cylinder pressure made by higher power machines. Thats why I have them in my bike.

BTW, my posts aren't opinions.[/quote]

I'm sure you meant that they are designed not to seperate at the higher pressures. How do they do this? By being higher tensile strength in a nutshell. They can provide more clamping force by not being prone to stretch as much. les is right, they all stretch they just don't all stretch to failure.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm
Last edit: 25 Mar 2011 17:50 by andy9802gt.

More
25 Mar 2011 17:58 #440409 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic bolts
Depends on how you look at it. When I design a bolted connection, I have a separation force in mind that I want to have as my guideline. Its this "seperation force" that engineers use to determine how much to torque a bolt. As les said, every bolt stretches. What you mean is that they aren't as prone to plastic deformation.

Did I ever say that the tensile strength of a bolt wasn't a good measure of it's strength? On the contrary, it's pretty much the only thing other than geometry that you consider when using it in a design. What I said is that using the lower tensile strength of the frame as a reason for using a lower strength bolt is poor reasoning. Sorry if I was unclear.

As an example here, wireman is proposing that the frame is much crappier then these bolts. Sure, a bolt made from the material of the frame wouldn't be as good. But on the other hand, would you want your frame made from 14mm diameter bar stock, even at twice the tensile strength?

As long as the bolts have as high or higher tensile strength than the original frame bolts, I'd be fine with them. I gathered from wireman's premise that he thinks he can get away with a lower grade bolt than the OEM one. Sorry if I'm mistaken about that.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
25 Mar 2011 18:53 #440414 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic bolts

Interesting conversation. Reinforcing torque values if nothing else.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
25 Mar 2011 19:14 #440417 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic bolts
I've actually seen circumstances where a grade 8 fails and a 5 lives. Not typical but in a rock crawler a coworker has, he kept braking 8's on the lower control links, went to 5's and it still lives. I come to believe the added elasticity of the 5 helped it survive but don't know for fact, only that it worked. I will tell you I'm going to use stainless hardware for attachment of noncritical areas, purely cosmetic, and I'm using ape studs where needed, lubed the way ape suggest. I do know that be it motor oil, locktite, moly lube, or what ever you choose, torque specs are different for each, this is fact. I believe there is a lot of good info in this but don't over think it, the way I see it is there is a lot of company's that have already done the homework for me.:)

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 Mar 2011 20:13 #440425 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic bolts
nope,what im saying is the origional bolts are not grade 5 to begin with.
so even the lowest grade stainless bolt is as strong if not stronger,i plan on using the grade 5 stainless bolts anyway since theyre much stronger than origionals and they give more than a brittle grade 8 bolt.
im just trying to show all sides of the story as far as bolt material rather than just saying something is better without saying why,that way everybody can make up their own minds. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
25 Mar 2011 20:20 #440427 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic bolts
[quote="les holt" I will tell you I'm going to use stainless hardware for attachment of noncritical areas, purely cosmetic,

X2 I used stainless on my engine covers, front fender, tail section, battery box, and fender liner just for the corrosion resistance, every other bolt on my bike is polished factory hardware or chromed.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
25 Mar 2011 20:31 #440429 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic bolts
(youtube)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife