bolts

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 Mar 2011 16:27 #440376 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic bolts
ok heres your apples to apples comparison.
good ol grade 2 steel bolts 60-74,000 psi/bottem of the barrel stainless steel bolts
80-90,000 psi.
even the lowest grade stainless bolt is 1 1/2 stronger than the frame its attached to.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
25 Mar 2011 16:40 #440379 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic bolts
Torque to yield bolts like those found in most modern engines have "stretch" engineered into them. Enough so that you can only use them once and you have to buy new. The threads are also "cut" onto the bolt. ARP bolts and studs don't stretch when torqued and the threads are "rolled" on, meaning they don't remove material to make them. As far as black oxide bolts go, if you want to repeatedly put money into fasteners that are exposed to the elements, use them, if not make the move to stainless. Stainless is more brittle, meaning it is more likely to break than it is to stretch, but since we are all so keen on torque procedures and tensile strength you'll never over torque the stainless and break it.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
25 Mar 2011 16:43 #440380 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic bolts
My electric bamboo bike:

:woohoo: :evil:

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:

• andy9802gt
  • User
More
25 Mar 2011 16:47 #440381 by andy9802gt

T_Dub wrote: Any M8 bolt will snap off with a 3/8 ratchet, doesn't matter what you have. Tensile strength is one thing, but as soon as you start twisting it you go into a torque regime, and the stress induced by torque is magnitudes higher than an axial force, which the bolt is designed for. Thats why bolts have a toque rating that might seem low, but in the case of something like engine bolts, they are usually designed to go up to 90% of the proof strength when torqued, thats why sometimes when you overtorque it seems like the bolt snaps off really easy.

My APE cylinder studs are wet torqued to 22lbs-ft in the case and 42lbs-ft on the nuts, what's the factory studs torque specs? Hers a hint, less than the APE fasteners.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger

• andy9802gt
  • User
More
25 Mar 2011 16:48 #440384 by andy9802gt

TeK9iNe wrote: My electric bamboo bike:

That's awesome! where does the gerbil ride?

'78 KZ1075 LTD
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger

More
25 Mar 2011 16:55 #440385 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic bolts

andy9802gt wrote:

T_Dub wrote: Any M8 bolt will snap off with a 3/8 ratchet, doesn't matter what you have. Tensile strength is one thing, but as soon as you start twisting it you go into a torque regime, and the stress induced by torque is magnitudes higher than an axial force, which the bolt is designed for. Thats why bolts have a toque rating that might seem low, but in the case of something like engine bolts, they are usually designed to go up to 90% of the proof strength when torqued, thats why sometimes when you overtorque it seems like the bolt snaps off really easy.

My APE cylinder studs are wet torqued to 22lbs-ft in the case and 42lbs-ft on the nuts, what's the factory studs torque specs? Hers a hint, less than the APE fasteners.

Thereby proving my point. The APE ones are stronger, therefore they can take more load, which is their purpose. They are designed to separate at a higher cylinder pressure made by higher power machines. Thats why I have them in my bike.

BTW, my posts aren't opinions.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
25 Mar 2011 17:04 #440389 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic bolts

wireman wrote: ok heres your apples to apples comparison.
good ol grade 2 steel bolts 60-74,000 psi/bottem of the barrel stainless steel bolts
80-90,000 psi.
even the lowest grade stainless bolt is 1 1/2 stronger than the frame its attached to.

I'm not saying the stainless wont work. Nowhere did I say that. I just tried to explain a bit about bolted joint design. If you have a stainless bolt that will take the torque that the stock one will, then go for it. Stainless has other problems, such as if you have a stainless nut it will most likely gall. I think what Josh is getting at is that materials selection for important fasteners has to have more thought behind it than "oh its strong enough, it'll be fine". There are toher factors to consider when making a materials choice.

As for apples to oranges, you are comparing that when you go around saying things like the bolt is stronger than the frame it is attached to. The frame isn't a bolt and the bolt isn't a frame. Sure, from a bulk materials property perspective, the bolt is stronger, but these are mechanical components, not bulk materials. They have different loads, and different purposes in the assembly.

That all said, I hope you all have coatings on whatever aluminum you have fastened with your stainless bolts, cause it'll stain the bejesus out of it. I wouldn't put stainless on a bike either without looking into the corrosion cell its setting up.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Mar 2011 17:17 #440393 by wireman
well would you use a 16 penny nails to nail 2x2s together with? :whistle:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• andy9802gt
  • User
More
25 Mar 2011 17:21 #440395 by andy9802gt
Hell I thought it was pretty common knowledge that stainless bolts needed anti-sieze applied to them when installed to prevent galling. :unsure:

'78 KZ1075 LTD
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger

More
25 Mar 2011 17:29 #440399 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic bolts
Someone stated that the ARP bolts don't stretch, on the contrary, it's that stretch that keeps the bolt or nut tight. Much like a spring holding a screen door shut. Top engine builders not only torque to a spec but also measure stretch to determine that the bolt quality is there on the connecting rods. 190 mph at the track isn't a good time to find out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T_Dub

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Mar 2011 17:29 #440400 by wireman
hell any time you install a stud or a head or main cap bolt youre supposed to lubricate the threads also B)

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
25 Mar 2011 17:35 #440401 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic bolts

andy9802gt wrote:

TeK9iNe wrote: My electric bamboo bike:

That's awesome! where does the gerbil ride?

look at the seat upgrade.....whoot whoooot.