Antique Plates?

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2011 05:46 #427619 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Antique Plates?
It actually varies quite a bit from state to state, some states it 25 years, others its 30 or 35. Different fees, requirements etc,etc interesting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2011 05:59 #427620 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Antique Plates?
Here in AZ, ~ $25 for the plates, no annual emissions required but.... you must stay under 2000 miles per year.... :blush:

So screw that, tune for emission passing and ride. Registration ~ the same at $25...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2011 06:54 #427626 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Antique Plates?
Old Man Rock wrote:

Here in AZ, ~ $25 for the plates, no annual emissions required but.... you must stay under 2000 miles per year.... :blush:

So screw that, tune for emission passing and ride. Registration ~ the same at $25...

OMR

WTF under 2000 a year ??? THAT SUCKS, but, u could have an extra SPECIAL speedo/odometer just for "inspection " purposes, shouldnt be too difficult

More
01 Feb 2011 10:23 #427651 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Antique Plates?
One advantage in Chicago, if the bike has an antique plate, you don't have to buy a city tag. At least that's what my buddy says. He has several bikes with antique plates.

More
04 Feb 2011 09:57 #428418 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Antique Plates?
As far as insurance goes there IS an insurance company that will insure antique vehicles and up to the amount you say provided you can prove it's worth that amount. I was researching on that when I had my 69 Mustang. I can't remember the name of the company, I'm sure google remembers it though. ;)
I'm going to get mine registered and I will let you know how it goes.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
07 Feb 2011 23:14 #429318 by JonZweifel
Replied by JonZweifel on topic Antique Plates?
This thread had me so excited :(

In florida the vehicle has to be 30 years old.. mines an 82

at least I know which route im going when its time for new plates!

It was gonna be especially good for me because in florida insurance isn't required on a motorcycle so I wouldnt have needed proof of insuran:S ce

More
08 Feb 2011 06:39 #429358 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Antique Plates?
saxjonz wrote:

As far as insurance goes there IS an insurance company that will insure antique vehicles and up to the amount you say provided you can prove it's worth that amount. I was researching on that when I had my 69 Mustang. I can't remember the name of the company, I'm sure google remembers it though. ;)
I'm going to get mine registered and I will let you know how it goes.

www.hagerty.com is one of them, but they are pretty picky...age alone will not make the bike insurable. :dry:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
08 Feb 2011 10:35 #429433 by saxjonz
JonZweifel wrote:

This thread had me so excited :(

In florida the vehicle has to be 30 years old.. mines an 82

at least I know which route im going when its time for new plates!

It was gonna be especially good for me because in florida insurance isn't required on a motorcycle so I wouldnt have needed proof of insuran:S ce

That's really good to know since 85 percent of all accidents with a car are the drivers fault. And what kind of real damage can a bike do to a car that won't be squared exponentially to the rider?
I was in Florida and was worried about not having my insurance in December current for my new ride. ;) That couldn't stop me from riding though.

79 LTD B3

More
08 Feb 2011 11:02 #429439 by kzr750r1
Replied by kzr750r1 on topic Antique Plates?
Think I paid 47 bucks last year to Cali DMV for the bike.
No special for me. Want to ride without giving johnny another excuse.

Heres options in Cali. only possible one would be Historical but the limits are a bit much. Also who defines what is Historical? Looks like this may be yearly so not much point unless it fits the criterion.

Historical Vehicle:
Issued to a vehicle manufactured after 1922, which is at least 25 years or older and of historical interest. Vehicle may only be driven in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic vehicle club activities. For commercial vehicles only: The Certificate of Title must be submitted with the application.

Fees: Original $25 Substitute $18

Antique Motorcycle:
Issued to a motorcycle manufactured in 1942 or before.

Fees: Original $15 Substitute $18

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

More
08 Feb 2011 12:32 #429454 by saxjonz
California, the police state.
Beautiful and incredible weather but a high price to be paid for it in so many ways. Every time I have visited I have noticed five oh coming out of the woodworks like cockroaches after the lights go out in any New York apartment in the burroughs.
kzr750r1 wrote:

Heres options in Cali. only possible one would be Historical but the limits are a bit much. Also who defines what is Historical? Looks like this may be yearly so not much point unless it fits the criterion.

Historical Vehicle:
Issued to a vehicle manufactured after 1922, which is at least 25 years or older and of historical interest. Vehicle may only be driven in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic vehicle club activities. For commercial vehicles only: The Certificate of Title must be submitted with the application.

Antique Motorcycle:

79 LTD B3

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2011 16:25 #429523 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Antique Plates?
testarossa wrote:

I saw this come up in another thread today, and I have always been curious about this issue. Does anyone here have their motorcycle registered as an antique vehicle?

As I understand it, Texas charges $50 for a five year registration that requires no annual safety inspection, and I believe, no insurance requirements. The intent is that the vehicle should not be driven regularly. More for driving to car shows, parades, etc.

My father-in-law has an old Harley registered this way, and he rides it frequently. He says that he's never been questioned by the authorities about this. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience, or if I'm totally off base on the inspection/insurance.

We got it good in WI. If you keep the bike long enough the "Collector" plate makes sense. I think it's about $75 ($23 bi-annually normally) for the plate and you never have to renew. Don't know what the effect is on insurance. Except around Milwaukee we don't have inspections (as far as I'm aware).

More
09 Feb 2011 08:33 - 09 Feb 2011 08:34 #429635 by kzr750r1
Replied by kzr750r1 on topic Antique Plates?
Seems every law enforcement agency has been told to make revenue running traffic on their beats. The 84 pass in Alameda county was expanded to four from two lanes and they kept the speed limit at 55. Depending on who's turn that day you'll see CHP, Alameda CO Sheriff or Livermore PD running a speed trap. CHP has been getting sneaky with the use of the laser gun. Hiding just out of site but with clear view to see .5 miles of traffic. I pucker every time I'm near them on the bike cause I'm running without a speedo. Main thing is to run with traffic near their hiding spots.They are targeting corridors that commuters use for a high hit rate. Not really there to protect and serve the public, just the state coffers.saxjonz wrote:

California, the police state.
Beautiful and incredible weather but a high price to be paid for it in so many ways. Every time I have visited I have noticed five oh coming out of the woodworks like cockroaches after the lights go out in any New York apartment in the burroughs.
kzr750r1 wrote:

Historical Vehicle:

Antique Motorcycle:

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST
Last edit: 09 Feb 2011 08:34 by kzr750r1.