Antique Plates?

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
26 Jan 2011 09:50 #425692 by testarossa
Antique Plates? was created by testarossa
I saw this come up in another thread today, and I have always been curious about this issue. Does anyone here have their motorcycle registered as an antique vehicle?

As I understand it, Texas charges $50 for a five year registration that requires no annual safety inspection, and I believe, no insurance requirements. The intent is that the vehicle should not be driven regularly. More for driving to car shows, parades, etc.

My father-in-law has an old Harley registered this way, and he rides it frequently. He says that he's never been questioned by the authorities about this. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience, or if I'm totally off base on the inspection/insurance.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2011 10:08 #425697 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Antique Plates?
Yeah, I have been considering it...just haven't gotten around to actually doing it. My understanding is that it may not be the State of Texas that has issues with putting too many miles on the bike, but rather the insurance company (as it will be insured as an antique/collector motorcycle)...as it is a mileage restricted motorcycle (although I don't know how either entity could possibly check as there is no mechanism to report mileage and you could be attending a colossal number of antique motorcycle shows :) )

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
26 Jan 2011 10:14 #425698 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Antique Plates?
I am absolutely doing this with my bike as I transfer my plate to my new bike and getting the antique for the old one. Do it and don't look back. As far as insurance, I'd probably at least carry liability but I have been riding dirty since I began riding 24 years ago with the exception of a couple years. I have always given them my insurance card from my automobile and they never had an issue with it. Technically each and every time you are riding it you are "showing it or riding it to mechanic" if they ask. It's just a one bike show. lol They don't care, I see all the time antique plates on cars that are daily drivers. How are they going to prove you aren't taking your car to mechanic or to an actual show? There is no way any cop will give you a hard time about that one. I know I wouldn't be pulling anyone over that spent his hard earned cash keeping up an old vehicle much less keep up on all the events around.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jan 2011 10:53 #425708 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Antique Plates?
That sounds like some similar experience that I have read on some hot rod forums. My KZ is registered on a normal plate, but that little Suzuki that I just bought might just get an antique vehicle tag. $50 every five years sure sounds better than $40 every year. Especially when it it's my third motorcycle. :ohmy:

I wonder if any members here are LEO's? Would be good to know their take on this.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
26 Jan 2011 14:19 #425766 by Frankn9
Replied by Frankn9 on topic Antique Plates?
I have an antique plate on my 68' triumph and my 69' firebird here in Illinois, same deal on both $6 a year you must buy it for the 6 year cycle so $36 for 6 years. If the state is say 2 years into its cycle you pay $6 a year for the remaining 4 years till the end of the cycle. still have to have insurance. I have been pulled over in the firebird and ticketed for improper registration because I was not going to or from a parade or car show, but the court dismissed it because a car/bike is a machine and as such it must be "exercised" inorder to maintain it properly and protect my investment. So, there are loop holes built into the system. you may get hassled once in awhile by one of "those" kinda cops but I don't sweat it!

More
31 Jan 2011 16:15 #427496 by hydrolazer
Replied by hydrolazer on topic Antique Plates?
i think i paid $38.00 for my antique tag here in mississippi. i NEVER have to buy another tag for it

\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2011 16:50 #427504 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Antique Plates?
mine is classified as antique but I dont know if I can get a tag for it specifically, i do know I never have to haveit inspected again, that is after the DMV inspector certifies it :woohoo:

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2011 16:52 - 31 Jan 2011 16:53 #427505 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Antique Plates?
testarossa wrote:

That sounds like some similar experience that I have read on some hot rod forums. My KZ is registered on a normal plate, but that little Suzuki that I just bought might just get an antique vehicle tag. $50 every five years sure sounds better than $40 every year. Especially when it it's my third motorcycle. :ohmy:

I wonder if any members here are LEO's? Would be good to know their take on this.

alright I'll ask ...LEO ???

edit I got it Law enforcement official
Last edit: 31 Jan 2011 16:53 by stonemaster.

More
31 Jan 2011 17:28 #427511 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic Antique Plates?
OK, I'll bite... In my previous life I don't know of anyone that hassled folks for "antique" classified plates. If you can get them past the DMV, then you should be good to go as far as most reasonable cops are concerned.

Now...If you live in a small town where the cops know you, and see you riding everyday? Well, it might get you a comment or two. I imagine every state is different, but in Washington State they are to be used for to and from shows, "testing", and for the "enjoyment of others without financial compensation", whatever that means.

In 18 years, I never saw a citation issued for a violation on this.

Caveat... Young rookie cop + jackass rider = gonna find something wrong to write him up for.

Oh yeah, state troopers are in their own little world and are capable of writing anything if they're bored or low on "contacts".

My conclusion is that if you can get them and save yourself a few bucks, go for it B)

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

More
31 Jan 2011 17:32 #427513 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic Antique Plates?
Oh yeah, Josh, you're screwed man, they will stop you just to get a closer look at that amazing bike. I would have :laugh:

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Feb 2011 04:34 #427600 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Antique Plates?
Thanks for the real experience Marneman. I live in a suburb of Houston, so the likelyhood of crossing paths with the same officer is low. My father-in-law gets away with it in a small town, but he rides with the guy who used to be the Police Chief, and knows most of the local PD. I'm sure that has some influence.

Anyway, I registered the KZ normally. I'm still on the fence about what to do with that GS750. That's the one that I'm considering this for.

You are bringing back bad memories of High School for me. When I used to drive that 1967 Ranchero. I would get pulled over all the time for looksies. Heaven forbid that I had a license plate light out. I don't remember ever getting a ticket in that car, but I sure got stopped a lot.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
01 Feb 2011 05:42 - 13 Feb 2012 19:07 #427617 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 19:07 by KZ250LTD.