Ride from Colo Springs to Ouray Colo- 4th? Updated

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Aug 2011 22:50 - 17 Sep 2011 11:02 #473056 by Motor Head
Leaving tomorrow morning, Wednesday. Bend on Friday, then Seattle on Monday.
This is the route I want from Bend to Seattle, Did the Washington State Part Last summer, really nice. Hopefully the weather will be decent, pretty high up going behind the range.

maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Bend,+OR&dadd...rsp=4&sz=12&t=m&z=12

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 17 Sep 2011 11:02 by Motor Head.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2011 23:51 #473076 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Ride from Colo Springs to Ouray Colo- 4th? Updated
It goes without saying, Please post a lot of pictures. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Sep 2011 21:35 - 17 Sep 2011 10:55 #476217 by Motor Head
Just been working out a return Map, so I'll post it here so I can reference it if needed. Leaving in the Am, Tuesday, back towards Colorado. I've got pretty limited Internet access at the moment, so the pictures and ride review from the trip over will have to wait till I return to Colorado.

Well do to changes in Weather, Rain when I left Seattle, and also one of the high passes in CO closed do to Snow I had to change my return route plans a bit. i also never saw the road signs for one of the turns I had planned, which actually turned out as a positive. That sent me up the canyon out of Logan UT back towards Bear Lake UT. That was a real nice ride.
So the Pass on hwy 9 south of I70 was closed, so I hit the freeway back to the Springs. I had spent the whole day in rain gear, and the Temps were below 55 all day, sub 50 in the high country. Never ran into any snow, but there was some fresh on the side of the road in a few places, Brrrr!

maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Issaquah,+WA&...,8,10,14,15&t=m&z=11

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2011 10:55 by Motor Head.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Sep 2011 12:01 #477266 by Motor Head
Well made the round trip successfully, and here is a few photos from it, with a brief description.

Off Hwy 24 in CO, heading N, towards I70

Same as above but the pullout

From Maybell CO towards Dutch John UT, HWY 138

Flaming Gorge UT, in the Ashley National Park

Bear Lake UT

Same as above on the Pullout

Camping on the Snake River Idaho

Snake River from camp

More
17 Sep 2011 00:15 #477401 by RonKZ650
Great ride, great pictures too. You can't beat this part of the country for riding really except we do have winter and a long winter some years. Good thing about winter is spring comes next every year.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Sep 2011 11:45 #477469 by Motor Head
Thanks, I poked around on those map links I posted to correct them to the actual route.
Had to make some changes as to weather and what looked interesting. Then completely missed the turn I had planned in Logan UT and ended up going another way back to Bear Lake. That was pretty cool. Also went up to HWY 89 off of 30 back into WY, and onto ID34 as a loop. Oh that was a blast up there, that HWY 34 in ID was great! Then the HWY 95 and 55 in ID also was a great ride. Following the 12 in WA which is the Lewis & Clark trail, was quite hot and dry. But as soon as you cross into ID it changes into Mountains and trees. Lots of really good areas to ride through, lots of places to camp out. Lots of "Sportsman's Access" in ID along the roads to a river or lake. Many have free camping.
The weather on the way over, and while I was in Bend, then my stay in Seattle was fantastic. But it changed as I was heading back, drastically.
Oh and I worked it out to an average 45 MPG. Not to bad considering the gear on board. Then trying to get somewhere before dark, I was running 80+ through WY trying to get to the Flaming Gorge before it got dark, and the rain starts. Ended up on a patch of a guys ranch, just out of their way near a spring.
really thought that the pictures would be crummy with all the rain and clouds on the last day & 1/2. So just keep it twisted.

Following the ID55 along the Payette River valley

More HWY 55

HWY 55

Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Sep 2011 17:40 - 28 Sep 2011 17:52 #480249 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Chnge to My Rides Thread; Updated
9-29-11 So Here is a ride I did today. Took about 4 hours with getting a few things at Dollar Tree and some more Gas. Whoops for got the map link, maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Colorado+Spri...11,12,14,15&t=m&z=10
Went SW of here in the Springs to Florence then down the 67 towards the canyons and forest, over 1 small summit. Then back through Pueblo, onto the Freeway :sick: stuck it on 80 with the thumb lock till I got back to the south end of town. Plenty of fun up in the canyons out of Florence. Senic too as the Aspens are changing right now. Hard to beat the weather a balmy 85 in the flats, and in the mid 60's up higher. Nothing but Bright Blue Sky, Sweet! B)

Last edit: 28 Sep 2011 17:52 by Motor Head.