Ride from Colo Springs to Ouray Colo- 4th? Updated

More
26 Jul 2011 22:05 #465172 by 2wheeladdict
Replied by 2wheeladdict on topic Ride from Colo Springs to Ouray Colo- 4th? Updated
I was in Telluride in Sept. 01 and rode over Imogene pass to Ouray on a dirt bike what beautiful country. and a great ride.

80 KZ1000 LTD
81 Yamaha XJ650 maxim
84 CR60r

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2011 22:36 #465179 by RonKZ650

2wheeladdict wrote: I was in Telluride in Sept. 01 and rode over Imogene pass to Ouray on a dirt bike what beautiful country. and a great ride.

Those old passes are fantastic up there for a jeep or a dirt bike. Anyone in Colorado want to see this area? Well the paved roads anyway, the 1000 in 24 is coming in about 4 weeks. Great routt this year, but going to be tough and slow in places and they don't start til 4am this year. I hate to start a ride that late. Here's the routt if anyone feels up to it. I'm signed up for my 7th, but debating blowing it offf because of the 4am start.
www.cofreewheelers.org/1k24%202011.pdf

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
27 Jul 2011 14:38 #465312 by Motor Head

2wheeladdict wrote: I was in Telluride in Sept. 01 and rode over Imogene pass to Ouray on a dirt bike what beautiful country. and a great ride.

We tried going from Ouray to Telluride 7-4-10. That was on a couple of WR250 Yammies. There was still snow at the top across the trail, 2 foot prints were there going out into around 6 feet of snow. Then back as no one had crossed it yet. We drive/ ride up there on the Ouray side every summer.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2011 14:43 #465316 by Motor Head

RonKZ650 wrote:

Those old passes are fantastic up there for a jeep or a dirt bike. Anyone in Colorado want to see this area? Well the paved roads anyway, the 1000 in 24 is coming in about 4 weeks. Great routt this year, but going to be tough and slow in places and they don't start til 4am this year. I hate to start a ride that late. Here's the routt if anyone feels up to it. I'm signed up for my 7th, but debating blowing it offf because of the 4am start.

Sounds like fun RonKZ650. But I like having no real schedule, seeing something and heading off on my own tangents. Besides once the Butt gets sore I want to relax and have a cold one before hanging on again the next day. 7am to around 4pm is enough for me.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2011 14:46 #465320 by Motor Head

uncledirt wrote: Dang Motor, I moved to FLA in May, I would have loved to have done that. I grew up riding in those parts. Back then I was young and confused though, I rode FZR's and GSX-R's :(

These mountains aren't going anywhere any time soon. Once you get enough of that area you can always come back, even if its just a holiday from the humidity.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2011 12:21 - 28 Aug 2011 21:44 #469735 by Motor Head
Going to throw this into the thread, as it it some of my longer rides. Going over to Bend Oregon again, then on to Seattle, and up to the San Juan Islands in Wash State.
I,m trying this for a route to Bend, posting it here so i can later pull it back up for the map easily.
Just a few changes to the route, 8-29-11.
maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Colorado+Spri...,10,12,13,14&t=h&z=7
I hate riding those boring Freeways!!! Should get to see some country that me and the KZ have never seen before. But in some places there is no real other choice but to go over the same ground, without doing a huge bunch of extra miles. Still have to map out where to go from Bend to Seattle. that will depend a lot on weather. The mountains for sure if the weather is halfway decent.

Last edit: 28 Aug 2011 21:44 by Motor Head.

More
18 Aug 2011 13:39 #469753 by OKC_Kent
Nice trip report, I'd like to head to CO in the future. I probably won't be taking my 650 though. One question, do you carry extra fuel or are gas stations frequent?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2011 13:52 #469757 by Motor Head
No I don't carry any extra fuel, but I do top up a lot. I can safely go around 170 miles, as my bike has a 4 gallon tank. Anymore than that would require riding where you get exceptional good fuel economy. I can get over 50mpg, but also in the low 40's depending on terrain and traffic conditions. I'd love a bigger tank, as the 82 1100 A2 I had was a 5 gallon tank.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Aug 2011 14:22 #469765 by wireman

Motor Head wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote:

Sounds like fun RonKZ650. But I like having no real schedule, seeing something and heading off on my own tangents. Besides once the Butt gets sore I want to relax and have a cold one before hanging on again the next day. 7am to around 4pm is enough for me.

sounds like my kind of riding,just get up and go when the urge arises! :laugh:
anytime the wife asks me where we're riding or driving to on one of my spur of the moment road trips i just point in a general direction,when she asks me why i didnt tell her a week in advance i just tell her i didnt know a week earlier! :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2011 15:50 #469781 by Motor Head
I'm sure this will be my last big interstate/ camping ride of the season. While the sun shines and the Snow is gone, ride boys ride!!!!! Oh and Girls too!!! :woohoo:

More
18 Aug 2011 20:30 - 18 Aug 2011 20:31 #469848 by Marneman

Motor Head wrote: Going to throw this into the thread, as it it some of my longer rides. Going over to Bend Oregon again, then on to Seattle, and up to the San Juan Islands in Wash State.
I,m trying this for a route to Bend, posting it here so i can later pull it back up for the map easily.
maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Colorado+Spri...1,12,13&vpsrc=6&z=10
I riding those boring Freeways!!! Should get to see some country that me and the KZ have never seen before. But in some places there is no real other choice but to go over the same ground, without doing a huge bunch of extra miles. Still have to map out where to go from Bend to Seattle. that will depend a lot on weather. The mountains for sure if the weather is halfway decent.

This is close to my neck of the woods. If you're up for it, I would suggest heading north from Bend to Cascade Locks in the Columbia River Gorge, and then north through Mt. St Helens. Some really gorgeous country up that way and plenty of nice back hiway, but not too remote.

Good luck, sounds fun B)

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!
Last edit: 18 Aug 2011 20:31 by Marneman. Reason: spelling

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2011 20:35 - 18 Aug 2011 20:49 #469850 by Motor Head
Yes it is beautiful, did just what you described a year ago in July. Right along the back of St. Helens. Was pretty good, but clouds over the mountains. Then I went another way back. Got the map link posted here in the thread. from Carson on the Gorge to Hwy 12 at Randle, that was a nice ride, although I got on the gravel for quite a ways, like 35mi.
might do something similar this year depending on the weather.

Last edit: 18 Aug 2011 20:49 by Motor Head.